Chris Davis Suspension Timing Awful Suspicious

brianod

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In post #3 you wrote the following...

Exactly what is the "dirt behind the scenes"? Do you have actual evidence that supports the existence of a conspiracy? By all means, please share.

Yes, Davis' suspension seemed to come at an inopportune time. Why do some of you believe correlation implies causation?

Okay, many years ago before my writing career in Los Angeles, I used to write for the Boston Herald doing TV and Entertainment reviews. During that time I had the opportunity to meet with sports writers in Boston and folks in Baltimore, NYC, Seattle, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Many of these guys would tell me of stories from behind the scenes that the average person wouldn't know because they simply believe whatever press releases are sent by the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Some of the stuff they told me was:

1) Rarely is the official press release about a situation the true story. More often than not, there's a major spin campaign going on to protect the owners, a player, an employee or someone else affiliated with a franchise. One of the stories I was told was about how everyone knew that the Dallas Cowboys of the 90s were coke-heads but they were able to keep it a secret for as long as possible before their behavior, the drug testing and the groupies' stories got to be too much. Whenever you speculate about a situation without significant evidence, it is too easy to shrug off the theory as mere tin-hat conspiracy jibber-jabber. But when you go back and look at a lot of situations that were considered "conspiracy" (like Pete Rose's gambling) then became revealed later on, it's not always the best idea to just "take their word for it."

2) There are extremely personal and petty rivalries between owners, sometimes between managers, and even between players. I was told that people regularly snitch on each other regarding drugs and personal situations - like certain players being gay (the rumors of Jeter in the gay underground of NYC) - but the teams' PR people can swoop in to shut down rumors or set up players to seem like "regular" guys. Beefs between people (because we're all human) can get ugly regardless of a person's wealth or societal status. (i.e. the machinations of Karl Rove or Ken Starr). I've been told that football players are the most gossipy and snitchy of them all because a lot of these guys are trained to think like Marines and take that mentality out into the real world and that gets them into trouble. As a result, some guys are willing to turn a dime on someone else to protect their own ass.

3) Drugs and groupies are the root cause of most of the problems these guys create for themselves. Apparently, hookers and groupies are regularly beaten up and/or sexually assaulted but most of these situations are settled financially before police get involved. I've heard of this stuff happening at the University of Maryland in the 1980s (around the time of Len Bias) and throughout the NCAA up through the majors of all sports.

So while I don't have a single shred of evidence to support my claims (which I know invalidates what I'm saying for many of you) I have the precedent of knowledge of willful omission by sports organizations in the past. So I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hope that makes sense.

MSK

I've learn this about you. I've also learned not to let my own speculation about things run wild. Because I am often wrong.

I'm not saying that I'm right in this situation. I've speculated on the possibility that things aren't always what they seem. What bothers me is that a lot of folks will accept an official explanation on a situation without a second of critical thought. People with money, people with power, people in control of other people's lives (like sports owners and ruling bodies of sports organizations) aren't always honest with people outside of their circle - especially when there's hundreds of millions of dollars on the line.

That's all I'm trying to convey here.

MSK

(Somewhere on the YankeesHangout.com)...

IHeartJeter posts:

The timing of that Davis suspension is highly suspicious. The guy stinks. He might get lucky and pop a homer once in a while, but most of the time the guy couldn't hit water if he fell out of a boat. But low and behold, the Yanks go down to Baltimore and what happens RIGHT before we play the Orioles with first place hanging in the balance? I'll tell you what happens. The League suspends Davis over some Aderall? Really? All the crooks, drug addicts, and cheaters in the game, and they suspend a .190 hitting bum right before we play the Orioles? I'll tell ya what guys...you might not all believe in conspiracies, but if it looks like a duck, and quacks like a duck....its a duck!

Just saying, conspiracies are based on your point of view. ;)

Okay, many years ago before my writing career in Los Angeles, I used to write for the Boston Herald doing TV and Entertainment reviews. During that time I had the opportunity to meet with sports writers in Boston and folks in Baltimore, NYC, Seattle, Chicago and Los Angeles.

Many of these guys would tell me of stories from behind the scenes that the average person wouldn't know because they simply believe whatever press releases are sent by the NFL, MLB, NBA, etc.

Some of the stuff they told me was:

1) Rarely is the official press release about a situation the true story. More often than not, there's a major spin campaign going on to protect the owners, a player, an employee or someone else affiliated with a franchise. One of the stories I was told was about how everyone knew that the Dallas Cowboys of the 90s were coke-heads but they were able to keep it a secret for as long as possible before their behavior, the drug testing and the groupies' stories got to be too much. Whenever you speculate about a situation without significant evidence, it is too easy to shrug off the theory as mere tin-hat conspiracy jibber-jabber. But when you go back and look at a lot of situations that were considered "conspiracy" (like Pete Rose's gambling) then became revealed later on, it's not always the best idea to just "take their word for it."

2) There are extremely personal and petty rivalries between owners, sometimes between managers, and even between players. I was told that people regularly snitch on each other regarding drugs and personal situations - like certain players being gay (the rumors of Jeter in the gay underground of NYC) - but the teams' PR people can swoop in to shut down rumors or set up players to seem like "regular" guys. Beefs between people (because we're all human) can get ugly regardless of a person's wealth or societal status. (i.e. the machinations of Karl Rove or Ken Starr). I've been told that football players are the most gossipy and snitchy of them all because a lot of these guys are trained to think like Marines and take that mentality out into the real world and that gets them into trouble. As a result, some guys are willing to turn a dime on someone else to protect their own ass.

3) Drugs and groupies are the root cause of most of the problems these guys create for themselves. Apparently, hookers and groupies are regularly beaten up and/or sexually assaulted but most of these situations are settled financially before police get involved. I've heard of this stuff happening at the University of Maryland in the 1980s (around the time of Len Bias) and throughout the NCAA up through the majors of all sports.

So while I don't have a single shred of evidence to support my claims (which I know invalidates what I'm saying for many of you) I have the precedent of knowledge of willful omission by sports organizations in the past. So I'm not willing to give them the benefit of the doubt.

Hope that makes sense.

MSK

Evidently there are a few things that are more habit-forming than Adderall; gossip, rumor-mongering and hearsay among them. Davis has admitted to an error in judgement. I think it's irresponsible to twist that and make him a victim as well without - in your words - "a single shred of evidence."

I've heard something too. I've heard that Occam wants to be your friend, but there's a catch. You have to make the first move.

Evidently there are a few things that are more habit-forming than Adderall; gossip, rumor-mongering and hearsay among them. Davis has admitted to an error in judgement. I think it's irresponsible to twist that and make him a victim as well without - in your words - "a single shred of evidence."

I've heard something too. I've heard that Occam wants to be your friend, but there's a catch. You have to make the first move.

I explained why I don't always believe the official explanation to you without insulting you or your sensibilities. I am well-aware of Occam's razor - that concept/philosophy works more often than not.

Then there's times when there is more going on behind the scenes. The Davis situation COULD be, or it might not be. None of us know for sure. In any case, you believe what you wish. I'm not attempting to influence your opinion or conclusions here.

MSK

I explained why I don't always believe the official explanation to you without insulting you or your sensibilities. I am well-aware of Occam's razor - that concept/philosophy works more often than not.

Then there's times when there is more going on behind the scenes. The Davis situation COULD be, or it might not be. None of us know for sure. In any case, you believe what you wish. I'm not attempting to influence your opinion or conclusions here.

MSK

And just sometimes, just somethings, things happen, without having a conspiracy reason for it to happen.

MASN dispute.
How would suspending CD have any impact on PA's position v MASN suit? I think there are lots of conspiracies. History is full of them. In fact they are probably more the rule than the exception. Two guys planning to rob a convenience store is a conspiracy. No big deal. But there has to be some logic behind them.

How would suspending CD have any impact on PA's position v MASN suit? I think there are lots of conspiracies. History is full of them. In fact they are probably more the rule than the exception. Two guys planning to rob a convenience store is a conspiracy. No big deal. But there has to be some logic behind them.

You asked what their beef could be. I told you. Not sure what you're going on about now.

If you look at the NFL debacle going on, you have to ask yourself, when did the league office know about this and when did they decide on the punishment? If you believe that the league offices don't talk to the owners and don't plan these kind of things, well, I won't know what to say to you.

You asked what their beef could be. I told you. Not sure what you're going on about now.
What does CD's suspension have to do with the MASN issue. Do you honestly think that MLB suspending Davis would have any influence over PA. I said what reason would MLB have, that isn't a reason. Do you think they just did it because they were pissed? It's a stupid notion.

But of course... there's no conspiracies in pro sports.

An in-depth examination of a conspiracy to keep Rice's actions covered up on a larger level.

SOURCE: http://espn.go.com/espn/otl/story/_/id/11551518/how-ray-rice-scandal-unfolded-baltimore-ravens-roger-goodell-nfl

One of the most confounding aspects about the Rice scandal centers around hard-to-reconcile questions: Why did Roger Goodell, the NFL's strong leader who for eight years as commissioner has been so committed to player discipline, not immediately follow his often-stated moral compass when he learned -- verbally or visually -- of Rice's attack? And why did his multibillion-dollar corporation, with its vast national network of former FBI agents and law enforcement officials, flat-out fail in the most basic of investigatory tactics: to obtain the inside-elevator surveillance video, as Goodell has claimed. The public, league sponsors and media have been trying to make sense of the commissioner's motives during a league investigation unlike any other.

Nope... no conspiracies ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever, ever happen.

Ever.

MSK

Archived