Dan Duquette made one move that many questioned, won the ALDS for the Orioles

weams

So I'm slightly confused. How did Miller help us win the second game?

If he wasn't with us, he hypothetically could be with the Tigers. He would have been out there in the 8th instead of Chamberlain and Soria. Maybe. Who knows what happens in the alternate universe.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he wasn't with us, he hypothetically could be with the Tigers. He would have been out there in the 8th instead of Chamberlain and Soria. Maybe. Who knows what happens in the alternate universe.

It was reported that Detroit was obtaining Miller when Dan swooped back in and accepted the Boston offer that was on the table after Lester had been dealt to Oakland.

It has been said that it was Eduardo or nothing. Neither Bundy or Harvey were supposedly wanted. And Gausman was not happening. No. I have no link. Sorry.

Detroit has arguably the worst farm system in baseball. They had just made two moves that depleted it even more. And yet they were able to make an offer that could only be topped by a Top 100 prospect?

Detroit has arguably the worst farm system in baseball. They had just made two moves that depleted it even more. And yet they were able to make an offer that could only be topped by a Top 100 prospect?

Such rankings by those who are not truly insiders really do not matter to those who are insiders. I am referring to top 100 prospect rankings and rankings of farm systems. They are nice to read and all-but don't truly matter.

Such rankings by those who are not truly insiders really do not matter to those who are insiders. I am referring to top 100 prospect rankings and rankings of farm systems. They are nice to read and all-but don't truly matter.

Are you saying there are "insiders" who don't think Detroit has arguably the worst farm system in baseball?

Are you saying there are "insiders" who don't think Detroit has arguably the worst farm system in baseball?

No, I am just saying that those "insiders" that think this may not work for the Red Sox. It is not unbelievable(as you alluded to earlier) that the Red Sox could have found a package that Detroit was offering acceptable for Miller(who is a free agent at the end of the year, by the way). It is quite possible that the only thing that the Orioles could offer to dissuade the Red Sox from trading him to Detroit may have been a top 100 prospect.

No, I am just saying that those "insiders" that think this may not work for the Red Sox. It is not unbelievable(as you alluded to earlier) that the Red Sox could have found a package that Detroit was offering acceptable for Miller(who is a free agent at the end of the year, by the way). It is quite possible that the only thing that the Orioles could offer to dissuade the Red Sox from trading him to Detroit may have been a top 100 prospect.

That isn't what I said at all. Detroit has a horrible farm system. But even a horrible farm system is capable of getting you something in return (see the Angels getting what's his face from San Diego, Detroit getting Soria earlier in the week, etc.). It's very believable that Detroit was able to offer something, and Boston, out of contention and looking to rebuild, was willing to take it. What I am skeptical about is that Detroit's farm system was able to give them a package that could ONLY be beat by EdRod. That almost seems like Detroit would have had to go to Boston and say, "here's out farm system, pick any 5 names and they are yours."

That isn't what I said at all. Detroit has a horrible farm system. But even a horrible farm system is capable of getting you something in return (see the Angels getting what's his face from San Diego' date=' Detroit getting Soria earlier in the week, etc.). It's very believable that Detroit was able to offer something, and Boston, out of contention and looking to rebuild, was willing to take it. What I am skeptical about is that Detroit's farm system was able to give them a package that could ONLY be beat by EdRod. That almost seems like Detroit would have had to go to Boston and say, "here's out farm system, pick any 5 names and they are yours."[/quote']They had a package on the table that only could be topped, in the Red Sox mind, by Eduardo. In fact. It was the Red Sox offer that Dan accepted. I think it is strange that you think that at the last minute Dan could have renegotiated. I am certain with his hesitancy, that he tried.

That isn't what I said at all. Detroit has a horrible farm system. But even a horrible farm system is capable of getting you something in return (see the Angels getting what's his face from San Diego' date=' Detroit getting Soria earlier in the week, etc.). It's very believable that Detroit was able to offer something, and Boston, out of contention and looking to rebuild, was willing to take it. What I am skeptical about is that Detroit's farm system was able to give them a package that could ONLY be beat by EdRod. That almost seems like Detroit would have had to go to Boston and say, "here's out farm system, pick any 5 names and they are yours."[/quote']It could ONLY have been beaten by EDROD because that is the deal that Boston said take it or leave it to. Whether it was fair, right, smart, or whatever. It was what it was.

It could ONLY have been beaten by EDROD because that is the deal that Boston said take it or leave it to. Whether it was fair, right, smart, or whatever. It was what it was.

Yup that makes sense to me also.

It kinda makes me chuckle how many people want to trade our junk for other peoples gems but then get all twisted out of shape when another team expects some talent back for talent. While I think the price remains to be determined, based on what the market bears for a reliever of his quality the deal was in line with that standard.

Yup that makes sense to me also.

It kinda makes me chuckle how many people want to trade our junk for other peoples gems but then get all twisted out of shape when another team expects some talent back for talent. While I think the price remains to be determined, based on what the market bears for a reliever of his quality the deal was in line with that standard.

The O's made out a lot better then the Tigers did with Soria.

Archived