Dan Duquette made one move that many questioned, won the ALDS for the Orioles

weams

Dan was aware at the deadline that he could trade for Andrew Miller because he knew from the Lester talks that the Red Sox would make the trade for Eduardo Rodriguez. The Tigers were going to get Miller if we did not. I am uncertain who the Tigers were giving them, but they did not like that player as much as Eduardo. So for those who thought we gave up too much. It made all the difference.

We would be down 2-0 with Miller on the Tigers.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Dan knew at the deadline that he could trade for Andrew Miller because he knew from the Lester talks that the Red Sox would make the trade for Eduardo. The Tigers were going to get Miller if we did not. I am uncertain who the Tigers were giving them, but they did not like that player as much as Eduardo. So for those who thought we gave up too much. It made all the difference.

This really was so important. Great move, regardless of what happens with Eduardo.

Dan was aware at the deadline that he could trade for Andrew Miller because he knew from the Lester talks that the Red Sox would make the trade for Eduardo Rodriguez. The Tigers were going to get Miller if we did not. I am uncertain who the Tigers were giving them, but they did not like that player as much as Eduardo. So for those who thought we gave up too much. It made all the difference.

Must spread rep .. Nice article and great move by DD. I hope they can find a way to keep Miller. Other than Zach he's our only good lefty reliever.

The Miller move was one that a GM makes to advance further into the playoffs, as opposed to a move to make the playoffs.

He has been kind to Billy Beane before and Billy just did not understand. All he had tp do was keep Neshak.

Many, including myself, wanted Morales over Cruz. That move alone defined our season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many, including myself, wanted Morales over Cruz. That move alone defined our season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Many moves were good and defining. My article was just about the eighth innings of both games and Miller's strike outs of the heart of the order on Thursday.

We would have lost yesterday without Miller. But we wouldn't be down 2-0 without him. His innings were big in game 1 but there's no reason to think someone else couldn't have filled that gap. And we were ahead before their BP melted down in game 1.

Doesn't change your overall point though. The Miller move was as crucial for what he brings to us as it was for what he's NOT bringing to the Tigers.

We would have lost yesterday without Miller. But we wouldn't be down 2-0 without him. His innings were big in game 1 but there's no reason to think someone else couldn't have filled that gap. And we were ahead before their BP melted down in game 1.

Doesn't change your overall point though. The Miller move was as crucial for what he brings to us as it was for what he's NOT bringing to the Tigers.

Possibly. I think that striking out the heart was a BIG factor. Extended too. They would have had a shot at us in the ninth as well without us whomping in the eighth.

Good stuff. Any idea if the Tigers had made an actual offer, or who they were going to deal to get him?

Archived