Dan Duquette made one move that many questioned, won the ALDS for the Orioles

weams

Good stuff. Any idea if the Tigers had made an actual offer, or who they were going to deal to get him?

They were said to be landing him within the hour that we did. I do not know who they were offering, but having listened to Dan Duquette's recap of events, he said he knew he could get Miller if he wanted to and that giving up EDROD was a big price but one he ultimately felt he needed to make. There was no lesser offer that would have landed the player.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
We would have lost yesterday without Miller. But we wouldn't be down 2-0 without him. His innings were big in game 1 but there's no reason to think someone else couldn't have filled that gap. And we were ahead before their BP melted down in game 1.

Doesn't change your overall point though. The Miller move was as crucial for what he brings to us as it was for what he's NOT bringing to the Tigers.

Neither you nor anyone can claim either. Who knows what kind of damage they might've inflicted without facing Miller those two innings. No one has a crystal ball here. But the bigger point is that they would've been much stronger in the pen with him which would be a big factor in this series.

Good stuff. Any idea if the Tigers had made an actual offer, or who they were going to deal to get him?

Sherman says differently

Dombrowski thought he had Andrew Miller on July 31, had given Boston the package requested. But then Baltimore agreed to part with touted pitching prospect Eduardo Rodriguez for the left-handed reliever.

http://nypost.com/2014/10/03/talent-rich-tigers-have-the-same-old-soft-spot/

Thanks for sharing btw.

Duquette had provided matchup master Buck Showalter with a huge weapon, a weapon that with the opening game of the ALDS on the line Thursday faced five batters, fanned three and took the Orioles to the point where the soft underbelly of the Tigers, their bullpen depth, melted down.

My My My. Yes, Andrew Miller is a major weapon, who in the last two years has taken that slidestep, thrown 93 regular season innings and struck out 151. Every general manager looking for bullpen help-yes, including Dave Dombrowski, who drafted him and tried to get him back in July-was watching and thinking what it would be like to have this guy in leverage situations from the seventh to the ninth innings.

I had just finished reading it. I was going to add it to the Miller thread then this happened.
Miller’s stuff, versatility and athleticism as more significant than a grisled three out “closer.” Roll the video back and see him strike out Victor Martinez again. From the right side. That happened 28 times during the regular season, as VMart had 53 walks and 28 strikeouts against lefthanded pitchers.

A lot of good tidbits there.

Two moves that have frustrated me that people question them are the Norris trade and the Miller trade.

Norris for getting a quality starter for 2 1/2 years for a Single A guy pick in the late rounds and a draft pick is a steal and gave us the ability to throw out 5 solid starters week after week this year.

And getting Miller. We had O'Day and Britton who could get us through the last two innings but Miller got us through the last 3. That was such a major positive for the team and we gave up a guy who wasn't excactly dominating at double A and wasn't one of our top two pitching prospects.

I think those two were the best deals DD has made here. Question the rest of them all you want but not the ones that made us a top team.

They were said to be landing him within the hour that we did. I do not know who they were offering, but having listened to Dan Duquette's recap of events, he said he knew he could get Miller if he wanted to and that giving up EDROD was a big price but one he ultimately felt he needed to make. There was no lesser offer that would have landed the player.

That's not necessarily true, unless we know that Detroit offered a package that could only be topped by EdRod. Just because EdRod did top it, doesn't mean EdRod was all that could top it.

Two moves that have frustrated me that people question them are the Norris trade and the Miller trade.

Norris for getting a quality starter for 2 1/2 years for a Single A guy pick in the late rounds and a draft pick is a steal and gave us the ability to throw out 5 solid starters week after week this year.

And getting Miller. We had O'Day and Britton who could get us through the last two innings but Miller got us through the last 3. That was such a major positive for the team and we gave up a guy who wasn't excactly dominating at double A and wasn't one of our top two pitching prospects.

I think those two were the best deals DD has made here. Question the rest of them all you want but not the ones that made us a top team.

I am with you on both counts. But we are not in the majority of intelligent baseball people.

That's not necessarily true' date=' unless we know that Detroit offered a package that could only be topped by EdRod. Just because EdRod did top it, doesn't mean EdRod was all that could top it.[/quote']

It has been said that it was Eduardo or nothing. Neither Bundy or Harvey were supposedly wanted. And Gausman was not happening. No. I have no link. Sorry.

That's not necessarily true' date=' unless we know that Detroit offered a package that could only be topped by EdRod. Just because EdRod did top it, doesn't mean EdRod was all that could top it.[/quote']

At the point that the trade was being made, the offer from Boston was for Eduardo only. That is how Dan knew that he could trump the Detroit offer when he was told that Detroit was completing a trade for Miller. I was at one of Eduardo's last starts for Bowie and several Boston scouts were in attendance. They think they are really on to something there. They compare his change up to Johan's. And it may well be Santana that helped him with it.

Archived