Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think it's more likely the move(s) lead to Miller and Markakis leaving than Davis leaving - though all 3 could be gone. Davis and probably Pierce have the versatility to play RF. Davis significantly lowered his value this season.

True, he probably figures that option is being picked up.

I would like to think Markakis has had some kind of ongoing discussion with the front office and has some clue about what's going to happen with his option. But maybe I'm wrong.

Oh yeah, I think he's probably an O's HOFer already. It's certainly not the most prestigious thing.

I'd argue he's in already no matter what the bar is. 14.7 WAR in only four seasons is better than a lot of guys already in who were here even longer, position and pitcher, and his contract, I struggle to think there have been many guys with a greater return on investment for value.

I'm super curious as to what this means for Nick Markakis. It would certainly be interesting if both Cruz and Hardy got extensions going into the ALCS and Markakis did not. Of course, we wouldn't know what may be taking place behind the scenes as far as extension talks, but yeah. All very intriguing.

You know I had the thought, and I might be talking out my rear end, but has anybody wondered whether or not Nick would consider retiring if they were to win it all? I don't know the guy so I have no idea what his long range intentions are, but he's already made a lot of money and doesn't strike me as a guy to uproot his family. If they win the whole thing, whose to say he doesn't say that's enough for me?

Can someone explain deferred money? Does that just mean 6.5 gets paid over more years?

There is, I am sure, a payout schedule in place. The 6.5 might be accruing interest, it might not be. We will know more when the specifics are released.

What deferred money does is spread out the monetary risk to the team, and if it is without interest, lower the real value of the contract. The player gets a more impressive number and if the deferment is with interest, potentially more money in the long run.

Not sure how deferment interacts with the salary cap but obviously, that won't come into play here.

I'm super curious as to what this means for Nick Markakis. It would certainly be interesting if both Cruz and Hardy got extensions going into the ALCS and Markakis did not. Of course, we wouldn't know what may be taking place behind the scenes as far as extension talks, but yeah. All very intriguing.

I predicted this might happen a couple months ago. I thought Hardy and Cruz were coming back. I think they provide the most value to our team. As much as I like Nick I think of the 5 guys that were up for FA in 2 years he is by far the easiest to replace.

You know I had the thought, and I might be talking out my rear end, but has anybody wondered whether or not Nick would consider retiring if they were to win it all? I don't know the guy so I have no idea what his long range intentions are, but he's already made a lot of money and doesn't strike me as a guy to uproot his family. If they win the whole thing, whose to say he doesn't say that's enough for me?

Nick is someone I could see doing that, but it would be a very long shot.

Archived