Hardy Extension Announced Today

WarehouseChatter

A 28 yo Hardy would have easily thrown out Billy Butler tonight and the Orioles would have won

A 32 yo Hardy made a weak bouncing throw that Pearce couldn't handle

A 35 will be below replacement level offensively and barely serviceable defensively

This was a bad signing, Brian Roberts 2.0

Wow, that's a lot to extrapolate from one bad throw. Hardy at 32 is an elite defensive SS, as any statistical analysis will show. He made a bad throw. It happens.

• Replies 328
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Wow, that's a lot to extrapolate from one bad throw. Hardy at 32 is an elite defensive SS, as any statistical analysis will show. He made a bad throw. It happens.

It wasn't even a bad throw. Deep I the hole for his knees there is nothing wrong with bouncing it. Mitigates risk.

Pearce was out of position. Be didn't get to the bag for some reason. Nerves i suspect. That's a routine pick for a mlb 1b.

So long as wild claims are being made about JJ, I'll offer this: MFY would have paid him double if that's what it took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Of want even a bad throw. Deep I the hole for his knees there is nothing wrong with bouncing it. Mitigates risk.

Pearce was out of position. Be didn't get to the bag for some reason. Nerves i suspect. That's a routine pick for a mlb 1b.

So long as wild claims are being made about JJ, I'll offer this: MFY would have paid him double if that's what it took.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We should have let him. For 3/80 the Yankees could have him.

• 3 months later...

At the end of the day, the Orioles kept Hardy and Bayleaf and let Cruz, Kakes and Miller walk. Hardy was the single most important re-sign of the offseason because he would be the hardest to replace. I'm really glad they did it. Imagine this board if JJ was gone too :eek:

o

If James Jerry sticks around Birdland long enough, he might have a shot at getting into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame someday ...... especially if the O's win pennant(s) and/or World Series while he's here.

I think if he stays healthy through this contract, he'll be in. He's already won three Gold Gloves and a Silver Slugger, made an All Star appearance and been a key player on two playoff teams.

I think if he stays healthy through this contract, he'll be in. He's already won three Gold Gloves and a Silver Slugger, made an All Star appearance and been a key player on two playoff teams.

I think even with an average to even disappointing finish to his new contract he's in. Not to overly denigrate it, but it is only the Orioles HOF.

I agree with you I think... Only staying healthy guarantees it. He's already put up enough numbers and awards. I mean, where's the O's list of 30-HR hitters? Pretty select group.

At the end of the day, the Orioles kept Hardy and Bayleaf and let Cruz, Kakes and Miller walk. Hardy was the single most important re-sign of the offseason because he would be the hardest to replace. I'm really glad they did it. Imagine this board if JJ was gone too :eek:

Good post. Completely agree. Imagine if we spent the money on Colby Rasmus, then JJ signs with the Yankees. I guess that would have won some points for an exciting offseason but it would have been a horrible baseball move. Extending JJ constrained our ability to sign a free agent or extend Markakis but I believe JJ is the correct move. The step down from Markakis to De Aza is negligible compared to JJ vs the next best SS (Flaherty?).

o

If James Jerry sticks around Birdland long enough, he might have a shot at getting into the Orioles Hall-of-Fame someday ...... especially if the O's win pennant(s) and/or World Series while he's here.

I'd argue he should be in already, regardless of what he does the rest of the way. Four seasons, three Gold Gloves, All Star, power, defense, all at shortstop. That's already more than what a lot of guys already in the Orioles Hall ever did.

Good post. Completely agree. Imagine if we spent the money on Colby Rasmus, then JJ signs with the Yankees. I guess that would have won some points for an exciting offseason but it would have been a horrible baseball move. Extending JJ constrained our ability to sign a free agent or extend Markakis but I believe JJ is the correct move. The step down from Markakis to De Aza is negligible compared to JJ vs the next best SS (Flaherty?).

I think a vast majority of posters agree that Hardy was the top priority among the Orioles with expiring contracts. Most critics seem to be arguing that the O's could have done more than that.

I'd argue he should be in already, regardless of what he does the rest of the way. Four seasons, three Gold Gloves, All Star, power, defense, all at shortstop. That's already more than what a lot of guys already in the Orioles Hall ever did.

J.J. Hardy has 14.7 rWAR in four years as an Oriole. That's more than the following Oriole Hall of Famers:

Roberto Alomar

Harold Baines

Mike Bordick

Hal Brown

Rich Dauer

Dick Hall

Elrod Hendricks

Dennis Martinez

Tippy Martinez

Lee May

Stu Miller

Gregg Olson