Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

Peralta is already expensive (although still relatively young) and a butcher with the glove. How does he fit into a rebuilding around pitching and defense? And what else would you be looking at with him?

This isn't even remotely true. He is only due 10 million over the next 3 seasons and has a 7 million dollar option for year 4. That's very cheap.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is that what we are looking for?

Who would be CLE's OF: Sizemore, Blake, and Choo/Dellucci/Michaels?

Guess we could trade them Payton, but would that really help them.

Just seems like they would be upgrading 2nd, but down grading the OF.

I wouldn't mind Barfield and Peralta.

Guess that would be opening a hole at 2nd or SS for them.

Yea, i wouldn't be so worried about Guitterrez. Like you said, Barfield and Peralta would be good...Or Peralta and a solid MiLer.

Cubs personnel are not happy with Patterson after he continually showed up late during his ML callup this year

I really don't see EP being in the Cubs organization throughout '08

Roberts is miles ahead of Patterson defensively, but I wouldn't say their offense is too terribly far off

Add to the fact he has problems fielding 2B...

Wow...you guys are talking me into Peralta more and more! :P

He turns 26 at the end of May...We would have him cheap through his prime years.

800ish SS with good power and a decent to very good OBP in 2 of the last 3 years.

He k's a lot.

I have always heard his defense is suspect and that is why the Indians want to move him(either in trade or to third) but his BP defensive rate says differently...Be interested to know what his +/- rate, UZR and other top defensive stats say.

PECOTA likes Murton to outproduce Peralta this year.

Peralta: .264/.341/.448/.789; .275 EqA

Murton: .288/.354/.453/.807; .276 EqA

Those seem like bad prjections for Murton, considering his career averages are all higher than those. I really think if he plays a full year he'll put up good numbers for an outfielder. The constant coming off the bench stuff has killed him. When he gets consistent playing time he always starts raking.

Yea, i wouldn't be so worried about Guitterrez. Like you said, Barfield and Peralta would be good...Or Peralta and a solid MiLer.

Barfield would be a nice buy low guy.

Think you made the statement before. Why would CLE trade Gutierrez when they have such a bad OF other than Sizemore (Blake is a terrible fielder). Something smells fishy?

Who is out there looking for 2nd baseman? CHW was mentioned by Sonny two days ago? Like BB said yesterday, would have a tough time us getting Fields from them straight up for BRob. Then who do they have to offer?

So you're telling me having Murton (DH), Cedeno (SS) and Patterson (2B) in your starting lineup is better than Huff(DH), Hernandez (SS) and Roberts (2B)???

The answer is yes, although that's not the relevant comparison.

What I said was that the three Cubbies are better than anything else the O's have, absent Roberts, who most agree should be dealt in the rebuild as opposed to taking draft picks for in two years.

Again I'll cite PECOTA.

Murton .276 EqA > Huff .269 EqA

Cedeno .251 EqA > Hernandez .209 EqA

Patterson .261 EqA > Bynum .241 EqA

As you can see, it's not even particularly close.

I'd say without question it is, and I'm not even a fan of Patterson or Cedeno.

How? Cedeno is an upgrade offensively over Hernandez but a sizeable downgrade defensively. Patterson is a very sizeable downgrade offensively and a huge downgrade defensively (in fact not considered good enough to stick at the position by many). Murton might provide as much offense as Huff from the DH spot (especially in the first half of the season) but doesn't give you the versatility of being able to plug him in at 3B or 1B. And three years down the road, if Roberts and Huff are never traded and don't re-sign, you get two draft picks for Roberts and probably one for Huff is he stays ranked with 3B/2B/SS, whereas Cedeno, Patterson and Murton you'd have to replace to field a truly competitive team and wouldn't net you any draft picks or much in trades.

Barfield would be a nice buy low guy.

Think you made the statement before. Why would CLE trade Gutierrez when they have such a bad OF other than Sizemore (Blake is a terrible fielder). Something smells fishy?

Who is out there looking for 2nd baseman? CHW was mentioned by Sonny two days ago? Like BB said yesterday, would have a tough time us getting Fields from them straight up for BRob. Then who do they have to offer?

I wouldn't be that excited about Fields for BRob straight up anyway.

The Sox don't have much to offer...The idea of Konerko to the Angels to get players to deal for BRob may work??

Archived