Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

All true, but that just adds to his trade value. We already have pitchers, lots of pitchers. What we need is a SS, 2B, 1B, and DH.

Well SS and 2B yes, 1B and DH not so much. Until we clear out the clutter at 1B and DH, we are relatively fine.

DH is easy to fill too. Worst case, Reimold moves to DH from the OF, or Snyder can be a DH instead of a corner INF.

1B can be filled by the wishful thinking of Texeira or the movement of Rowell or Costanzo/Moore.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Because we need to trade our most valuable assets at the peak of their value.

BTW, Bigbird, I disagree that the Cubs can't help us with our positional needs. Murton, Pie, Patterson and Cedeno would all help us (not seeing we should get all those guys for Roberts).

Not sure if Cedeno, Patterson or Murton are the quality of talents we're looking for in a Roberts deal. Maybe a Perlata from the Indians.

True, but the Cubs can't help us alot in those areas....

LOL, the Cubs can help you in any/all of those areas.

As a matter of fact, things match up pretty well for you guys to get three ML-ready guys in precisely those positions... Murton 1B/DH; Cedeno SS; Patterson 2B.

In fact if those three were in the O's system, there'd be no question that they'd be everyday regulars in 2008.

Just because a guy hasn't been on the cover of Baseball America doesn't mean he can't be a productive and useful major leaguer, bigbird.

As a matter of fact, things match up pretty well for you guys to get three ML-ready guys in precisely those positions... Murton 1B/DH; Cedeno SS; Patterson 2B.

In fact if those three were in the O's system, there'd be no question that they'd be everyday regulars in 2008.

Just because a guy hasn't been on the cover of Baseball America doesn't mean he can't be a productive and useful major leaguer, bigbird.

If Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno were offered for Roberts, I think I'd take it.

I want Gallagher, and I think Cedeno would be a major upgrade over anyone else we have at shortstop right now. Murton might be a guy we could keep for this season to be that DH and OF who gives Scott a day off every once in a while against a real tough lefty, and continue to do that when we sign Teixiera next offseason! :D

This is all predicated on the fact that we can move one of Huff/Millar.

So you're telling me having Murton (DH), Cedeno (SS) and Patterson (2B) in your starting lineup is better than Huff(DH), Hernandez (SS) and Roberts (2B)???

Take your pick.

Well, you could argue thaat there are plenty of teams with better bullpens, but I don't feel like looking through a ton of stats and getting into a long argument to prove it. The Cubs bullpen could be good, but to call it stakced is pretty ridiculous to me. It's full of question marks. Can Marmol continue at his torrid pace? Can Wood stay healthy? (haha) Can Howry continue to pitch like he did in the second half, or is his age getting to him? Will one of them be able to successfully close? Then the left side of our pen looks pretty brutal. You can say what you want about Eyre turning it around in the second half, but I watched the game and I know what I saw. He was pitching in meaningless situation with no pressure, and his stuff still looked very flat. Cotts is Cotts. I'm not sold on Pignatiello whatsoever. He's got minor league stuff and I don't like the chances of him transferring that into the majors. I'd be willing to bet that we end up needing to add another reliver before the deadline if we want to make a serious run at anything.

If Gallagher/Murton/Cedeno were offered for Roberts, I think I'd take it.

I want Gallagher, and I think Cedeno would be a major upgrade over anyone else we have at shortstop right now. Murton might be a guy we could keep for this season to be that DH and OF who gives Scott a day off every once in a while against a real tough lefty, and continue to do that when we sign Teixiera next offseason! :D

This is all predicated on the fact that we can move one of Huff/Millar.

We have a crap load of young pitching. I'll hold out for the Tribe deal of Peralata and Gutirrez that we're looking for.

So you're telling me having Murton (DH), Cedeno (SS) and Patterson (2B) in your starting lineup is better than Huff(DH), Hernandez (SS) and Roberts (2B)???

I get what you are saying BB. But the real question, which of those 3 help us most 2 years from now?

We have a crap load of young pitching. I'll hold out for the Tribe deal of Peralata and Gutirrez that we're looking for.

Would we be looking to keep Peralta as a SS? I got the feeling that Cleveland wasn't thrilled with him at SS....and his fielding stats aren't the greatest.

Archived