Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

So you're telling me having Murton (DH), Cedeno (SS) and Patterson (2B) in your starting lineup is better than Huff(DH), Hernandez (SS) and Roberts (2B)???

I'd say without question it is, and I'm not even a fan of Patterson or Cedeno.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Not sure if Cedeno, Patterson or Murton are the quality of talents we're looking for in a Roberts deal. Maybe a Perlata from the Indians.

Peralta is already expensive (although still relatively young) and a butcher with the glove. How does he fit into a rebuilding around pitching and defense? And what else would you be looking at with him?

I get what you are saying BB. But the real question, which of those 3 help us most 2 years from now?

We're in trouble 2 years from now if those three are in our lineup. If Cedeno and Patterson had so much upside they would be starting for the Cubs this season.

I get what you are saying BB. But the real question, which of those 3 help us most 2 years from now?

Honestly, the odds of Patterson or Cedeno being solid major league contributors in 2010 are not great. Also, we're probably not going to get them both back. And Murton doesn't fit into our outfield and DH is not a position we should be building to fill - I'd prefer to have it as a place to play extra players or to put an aging bat. Gallagher's obviously the difference-maker but we have enough pitching that I'm unmoved.

I would rather have Roberts in 2010 than either Patterson or Cedeno. Murton would definitely tip the scales the other way but we simply don't NEED him. I'd rather plan for Roberts 2010 and keep the options open for a deal along the way.

Peralta is already expensive (although still relatively young) and a butcher with the glove. How does he fit into a rebuilding around pitching and defense? And what else would you be looking at with him?

False

He had eye surgery in '06, his defense and offense is well above average (his defense ranks up there with Jack Wilson of the Pirates)

So you're telling me having Murton (DH), Cedeno (SS) and Patterson (2B) in your starting lineup is better than Huff(DH), Hernandez (SS) and Roberts (2B)???

For the future? Yeah, it is. Even for '08, it's close, assuming Cedeno and Patterson can play defense. Hernandez and Huf are pretty bad. (Pret-tayyyy, Pret-tayyyy bad.)

Personally, I'd prefer Murton, Gallagher and Patterson, and get a SS elsewhere (Lillibridge, Hu, etc.).

And, FWIW, I would play Murton in LF and keep Scott at 1B/DH (or trade him for a SS).

Not sure if Cedeno, Patterson or Murton are the quality of talents we're looking for in a Roberts deal. Maybe a Perlata from the Indians.

PECOTA likes Murton to outproduce Peralta this year.

Peralta: .264/.341/.448/.789; .275 EqA

Murton: .288/.354/.453/.807; .276 EqA

We have a crap load of young pitching. I'll hold out for the Tribe deal of Peralata and Gutirrez that we're looking for.

Is that what we are looking for?

Who would be CLE's OF: Sizemore, Blake, and Choo/Dellucci/Michaels?

Guess we could trade them Payton, but would that really help them.

Just seems like they would be upgrading 2nd, but down grading the OF.

I wouldn't mind Barfield and Peralta.

Guess that would be opening a hole at 2nd or SS for them.

Then why would the Cubs deal all that updide talent for Roberts. Roberts is so far ahead of Patterson it's not funny.

Cubs personnel are not happy with Patterson after he continually showed up late during his ML callup this year

I really don't see EP being in the Cubs organization throughout '08

Roberts is miles ahead of Patterson defensively, but I wouldn't say their offense is too terribly far off

We're in trouble 2 years from now if those three are in our lineup. If Cedeno and Patterson had so much upside they would be starting for the Cubs this season.

What? The Cubs are supposedly in "win now" mode, and they're already set at SS and 2B (even more so if they get Roberts).

We're rebuilding. We can afford to give those guys a shot.

Archived