Roberts to the Cubs again?

Ricky Bobby

This was posted on Baseball Musings.

Here's the latest Orioles rumor:

Once completed the deal will likely be announced this afternoon or tomorrow morning. League Officials now expect the deal that would send Roberts to the Cubs to be finalized and completed by the weekend. They now expect that George Sherrill to be part of the deal. The O's have no use for a 31 year old reliever in there pen and want to get younger. Sherrill will ensure that the O's will get at least two pitchers in the deal from the Cubs.

Remember to take everything you hear about this deal with a huge grain of salt. Thanks to David Gerstman for the heads up.

• Replies 253
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once completed the deal will likely be announced this afternoon or tomorrow morning. League Officials now expect the deal that would send Roberts to the Cubs to be finalized and completed by the weekend. They now expect that George Sherrill to be part of the deal. The O's have no use for a 31 year old reliever in there pen and want to get younger. Sherrill will ensure that the O's will get at least two pitchers in the deal from the Cubs.

Remember to take everything you hear about this deal with a huge grain of salt. Thanks to David Gerstman for the heads up.

Especially when they spell "their" "there."

Honestly, what would "league officials" know? What exactly are "league offiials"? The two leagues no longer have separate offices and presidents like they did in the old days; they are all under MLB/Selig. So does that mean MLB officials? What avenue to inside info would "league officials" have? I doubt Hendry or MacPhail keep Bud Selig's office up to date about ongoing negotiations. That, and the inability to spell their, make me seriously question this post.

However, it has appeared for a while that Sherrill may be flipped to the Cubs, since the Roberts deal has always seemed to be "scheduled" for after the Bedard deal in all the rumors we have heard.

I don't believe Sherrill will be included. Someone has to close and if you take Walker and Bradford into account, the O's would be getting younger adding Sherrill. The pen was responsible for at least 10 losses last season. You have to have some kind of bullpen to instill some confidence in the young starters you're throwing out there every night. And isn't Sherrill 29, not 31? He's nasty, regardless and I think he'd be a monster addition.

I don't believe Sherrill will be included. Someone has to close and if you take Walker and Bradford into account, the O's would be getting younger adding Sherrill. The pen was responsible for at least 10 losses last season. You have to have some kind of bullpen to instill some confidence in the young starters you're throwing out there every night. And isn't Sherrill 29, not 31? He's nasty, regardless and I think he'd be a monster addition.

10, Thats a vast understatement! :) I would get stomach cramps about the sixth inning every game last season! :)

What I don't understand is how people think that Colvin is overrated. His total minor league line is .288/.320/.486, which is an above average OPS. There's nothing about him that really suggest "overrated", and I would love to get him back in any deal.

The closer on the Rays the last few years was lonlier than the Maytag repair man. Do you think that the closer for the Orioles next year is a key position?

The one and only key for the Orioles is to develop the kids. The difference between 67 and 72 wins is meaningless.

Honestly, what would "league officials" know? What exactly are "league offiials"? The two leagues no longer have separate offices and presidents like they did in the old days; they are all under MLB/Selig. So does that mean MLB officials? What avenue to inside info would "league officials" have? I doubt Hendry or MacPhail keep Bud Selig's office up to date about ongoing negotiations. That, and the inability to spell their, make me seriously question this post.

However, it has appeared for a while that Sherrill may be flipped to the Cubs, since the Roberts deal has always seemed to be "scheduled" for after the Bedard deal in all the rumors we have heard.

Any chance the proposed trade is actually sitting at the commisioners office pending the Seattle deal. It did seem like the Chicago deal was dropped to pursue the Seattle deal. I would venture a guess and say that Sherrill and Roberts are going to Chicago for Pie and Gallagher. The Orioles could have gotten Marshall, Gallagher, and EPat/Cedeno without including Sherrill. Why wait for the Seattle deal unless player(s) are getting flipped.

Archived