Our hitting approach

Russsnyder

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
He might be average now, but just imagine if he didn't always do everything totally wrong. He'd be Willie Mays. Oh why does he not want to be Willie Mays?

Hyperbole aside, average to barely average with 2 strikes is not a good thing for an above average hitter. That he could improve his 2 strike approach (even marginally) seems like a logical analysis to me.

Hyperbole aside, average to barely average with 2 strikes is not a good thing for an above average hitter. That he could improve his 2 strike approach (even marginally) seems like a logical analysis to me.

I think he could change his approach with two strikes, but it's certainly an open question as to whether that would be an improvement. I'd guess that most changes to an established MLB hitter's approach would tend to be negative. You don't get to be a very good major league player by doing a lot of things sub-optimally within your talent and skills.

But we all know that is impossible. What makes him a good hitter is defined by what taking a better approach would rob him of. This is Adam. Not Willie. Hyperbole aside.

I think he could change his approach with two strikes, but it's certainly an open question as to whether that would be an improvement. I'd guess that most changes to an established MLB hitter's approach would tend to be negative. You don't get to be a very good major league player by doing a lot of things sub-optimally within your talent and skills.
But we all know that is impossible. What makes him a good hitter is defined by what taking a better approach would rob him of. This is Adam. Not Willie. Hyperbole aside.

Yeah, I don't buy it. If you're say a 15% above average hitter but only barely average with 2 strikes, I don't see how you can't look at that as an area for improvement.

Yeah, I don't buy it. If you're say a 15% above average hitter but only barely average with 2 strikes, I don't see how you can't look at that as an area for improvement.

I think it's plausible that he could improve his hitting with two strikes. But that the effort might have unintended negative consequences.

Archived