Orioles Discussing Four-Year Deal With Nick Markakis (Signs w/ATL)

Greg

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Does the Butler signing show us anything about what Nick can expect?

Over the last 6 years they have both been very consistent players, with the exception of one poor year for each. During that stretch, using Baseball Reference, Butler has averaged 2.11 WAR, while Markakis has averaged 1.81. They both play 150+ games. Butler is two years younger than Nick.

Obviously, their markets are different because they play different positions and because Butler is coming off a bad year (though he did improve in the ALCS and WS).

Should Nick expect to get more years or money than Butler got?

Over the last 6 years they have both been very consistent players, with the exception of one poor year for each. During that stretch, using Baseball Reference, Butler has averaged 2.11 WAR, while Markakis has averaged 1.81. They both play 150+ games. Butler is two years younger than Nick.

Obviously, their markets are different because they play different positions and because Butler is coming off a bad year (though he did improve in the ALCS and WS).

I am sure the Markakis camp believe he is worth more than a DH.

I am sure the Markakis camp believe he is worth more than a DH.
I'm sure they do, but in this case, should they?

I think so. A DH who isn't hitting has no value at all. A competent outfielder who isn't hitting can at least play the outfield.

I'm not sure what his contract tells us. Just because the A's gave Butler 3/30 doesnt' mean someone will give Markakis 4/40. Would you rather have Cuddyer at 2/21 or Butler at 3/30. If it's me, I'll take Cuddyer for a 2 year commitment. Who knows. I'm very surprised Beane signed Butler for that. Meantime, there are very few rumors of teams with actual interest in Markakis. Sure, most teams figure he signs with the O's but ..........

Cuddyer had a QO attached to him.

I'm not sure what his contract tells us. Just because the A's gave Butler 3/30 doesnt' mean someone will give Markakis 4/40. Would you rather have Cuddyer at 2/21 or Butler at 3/30. If it's me, I'll take Cuddyer for a 2 year commitment. Who knows. I'm very surprised Beane signed Butler for that. Meantime, there are very few rumors of teams with actual interest in Markakis. Sure, most teams figure he signs with the O's but ..........

.....I'm holding out hope as well. The longer it drags on the more I suspect DD is looking at other options.

Archived