It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

Nothing much is likely to happen until Scherzer signs. With Boras who knows when that could be? That effects the markets of a number of other pitchers including Shields, Hamels, Price, Zimmerman, etc. which in turn effects whether the Padre trade for Hamels or not, and whether Smith or Venable will be available, etc.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't understand our insistence on surrounding our high strikeout, low OBP guys with the same exact type of player. Here's a crazy concept, why not replace them with guys that can work the count and take an occasional walk? That way:

1. Said high risk/high reward players would, in theory, have more people on base when they do produce, and:

2. Cover for those guys when they're slumping, and we don't have a lineup filled with potential rally killers.

You mean like Aoki and Smith

I am not certain there is any market for Aoki at more than a year though.

You may be right but he is in a little different situation. He is who he is. With no real upside he would be the most likely to sign a 2 plus year deal for security even if it means less money annually.

1)I don't think the O's have any interest in going more than 1 year.

2)DD has made a point in saying that a right fielder should have power when he critiqued Nick Markakis last year.

Aoki's name hasn't really been linked anywhere with the team. He is the least likely of the free agents to join the O's.

MLBTR has Aoki at 2/16. That's not happening with the O's. I think Dan is think 1/6m or 2/10m. He is the leadoff hitter that the O's do not have. He could play 2015 in right and 2016 in left. With Alvarez taking over right in 2016 and De Aza gone FA.

We can't say that no one is linking Aoki to the O's. Morosi just did

You may be right but he is in a little different situation. He is who he is. With no real upside he would be the most likely to sign a 2 plus year deal for security even if it means less money annually.

1)I don't think the O's have any interest in going more than 1 year.

2)DD has made a point in saying that a right fielder should have power when he critiqued Nick Markakis last year.

Aoki's name hasn't really been linked anywhere with the team. He is the least likely of the free agents to join the O's.

The perception of the public at large and in the grossly uniformed media is that the Orioles lost TWO outfielders! So any remaining free agent outfielders, especially those who have that rare skill of OBP, would NATURALLY be of interest to the Orioles.

Of course we replaced Nick before he was gone when the full 40 man roster could play and even though Cruz did play the field far too much last year, he is a DH. And Matt Wieters may be one.

I do not believe we actually have any interest in Aoki. Especially if he requires more than one year.

MLBTR has Aoki at 2/16. That's not happening with the O's. I think Dan is think 1/6m or 2/10m. He is the leadoff hitter that the O's do not have. He could play 2015 in right and 2016 in left. With Alvarez taking over right in 2016 and De Aza gone FA.

We can't say that no one is linking Aoki to the O's. Morosi just did

I think we can say that no one in the Orioles front office has shown much interest. We can say that.

Teams that are looking for corner outfielders:

1. O's

2. Cubs -Adding a right-handed-hitting bat with some pop to platoon with Chris Coghlan in left field

3. Reds - need to find a viable everyday left fielder. The most obvious target would seem to be Nori Aoki, who would also be a nice fit in the No. 2 spot in the lineup.

4. Giants - the Giants could still look to add some offense in left field, where Michael Morse provided a nice boost last season on a one-year deal. Taking a chance on free agent Colby Rasmus or trading in-division for Seth Smith may be the team's best options at this point.

5 Mariners - Justin Ruggiano was acquired from the Chicago Cubs after hitting .281/.337/.429 in 224 at-bats as a platoon player last season. That included a .305/.333/.512 line against left-handed pitching, and the best way to utilize him will be to keep him in a part-time role. That means finding a left-handed-hitting platoon partner to split time with him in right field, with Seth Smith looking like the best option out there at the moment.

6. Rangers - there are still some holes to fill, most notably in left field, where Alex Rios has departed after his option was declined to begin the offseason. Incumbents Jake Smolinski and Michael Choice both have some upside, but adding a more established player would help shore up the offense.

I don't know how accurate this is but I thought I would share it.

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/2312857-all-30-mlb-teams-updated-to-do-list-heading-into-the-new-year

Colby Rasmus had one season with very good stats. In 2010 he was great. Like Nick Markakis was one year. His OBP was .361. He has never been within .0.23 of that even in his rebirth years. He has been wildly inconsistent.

All in all it looks like BABIP and K% can help explain much of the difference between Rasmus' 2013 and 2014 seasons. Unfortunately for Rasmus his 2014 rate is more in line with his projection going forward.

Colby Rasmus had one season with very good stats. In 2010 he was great. Like Nick Markakis was one year. His OBP was .361. He has never been within .0.23 of that even in his rebirth years. He has been wildly inconsistent.

Rasmus was very good in 2013.

However, I'd be willing to wager that in equal playing time David Lough would have a higher WAR than either Rasmus or Aoki. That said, I'm fine with a cheap one year deal for Rasmus. A coin flip on upside and if he sucks, its no big deal. I just want Lough to get some real time. I like him more than De Aza anyway.

Archived