It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So you are saying Buck doesn't take OBP into account? If you are you are in the dark. He puts it in context, IMO, otherwise we would be trading AJ. Are you for that?

You go from the ridiculous to the absurd in one post, banner night for you. Did I say he doesn't take it into account? How many players did we have last year with an OBP above .330? He does put it into context if it's mentioned, usually not by him.

It would be nice if you put it into context when mentioning Rasmus. He might not be the end all, but OBP won't be the reason he's not signed. And maybe you're in the dark as to who signs players, it isn't Buck. Last I checked backgrounds and a morals clause wasn't a prerequisite for being an Oriole. See Delmon Young and Frankie Rodriguez to name two.

You go from the ridiculous to the absurd in one post, banner night for you. Did I say he doesn't take it into account? How many players did we have last year with an OBP above .330? He does put it into context if it's mentioned, usually not by him.

It would be nice if you put it into context when mentioning Rasmus. He might not be the end all, but OBP won't be the reason he's not signed. And maybe you're in the dark as to who signs players, it isn't Buck. Last I checked backgrounds and a morals clause wasn't a prerequisite for being an Oriole. See Delmon Young and Frankie Rodriguez to name two.

Buck has a strong voice into who we go after and who we don't. I am sure PA listens to Buck more than he listens to DD. Rasmus is not a Buck player.

His career #'s aren't much different that Pearces.

Despite his potential, former first-round pick Colby Rasmus is not viewed in the same way after an up-and-down career with the St. Louis Cardinals and Toronto Blue Jays. Ignore the rumors and cross Rasmus off the list.

http://www.csnchicago.com/cubs/cubs-trade-justin-ruggiano-mariners-and-set-next-moves

Cubs out.

Reading this, I thought OMG that is the longest sentence I have ever seen Birdland post! Then I realized it was a quote from the article.

Adding Rasmus on a one or two year deal could be a decent move. Relative to the other FA options left he definitely has a lot of upside. I still think I'd prefer a Dexter Fowler or Seth Smith trade though.

If he didn't work out for St. Louis and TOR why will he suddenly work for us? Pass.

This is a bit simplistic for me. First, how did Rasmus not work out in Toronto? It looks like, per Baseball Reference, Rasmus produce about 6.3 WAR for about $16.5M.

Second, I do like the age 28 play here.

Third, Rasmus certainly has to be looking in the mirror and seeing someone at a career crossroads who might not even have an Opening Day position in the majors in 2015. I would be surprised if there were more than a half dozen real opportunities available to Rasmus at this point. Maybe he gets some religion. The biggest aspect in question here is whether Rasmus is a team-first guy or can become one. It would be difficult to get on board the Rasmus train if he isn't.

I imagine Rasmus is looking at a deal that pays at the expectation of 1.5 WAR or less.

This is a bit simplistic for me. First, how did Rasmus not work out in Toronto? It looks like, per Baseball Reference, Rasmus produce about 6.3 WAR for about $16.5M.

Second, I do like the age 28 play here.

Third, Rasmus certainly has to be looking in the mirror and seeing someone at a career crossroads who might not even have an Opening Day position in the majors in 2015. I would be surprised if there were more than a half dozen real opportunities available to Rasmus at this point. Maybe he gets some religion. The biggest aspect in question here is whether Rasmus is a team-first guy or can become one. It would be difficult to get on board the Rasmus train if he isn't.

I imagine Rasmus is looking at a deal that pays at the expectation of 1.5 WAR or less.

Rasmus isn't a great player, but I think he might be underrated by some people because he was hyped up as a potential star and then fell short of that, so while it feels like he's kinda been a dud, he's still decent. And his defense (which isn't bad in CF to start with) would likely look better by switching from CF to LF/RF. I am liking more the idea of Rasmus as a sort of buy low candidate.

Rasmus isn't a great player, but I think he might be underrated by some people because he was hyped up as a potential star and then fell short of that, so while it feels like he's kinda been a dud, he's still decent. And his defense (which isn't bad in CF to start with) would likely look better by switching from CF to LF/RF. I am liking more the idea of Rasmus as a sort of buy low candidate.

Career OPS+ is 103.

But variance is high.

<PRE>

Year Age Tm PA HR BB SO BA OBP SLG OPS OPS+

2009 22 STL 520 16 36 95 .251 .307 .407 .714 89

2010 23 STL 534 23 63 148 .276 .361 .498 .859 132

2011 24 TOT 526 14 50 116 .225 .298 .391 .688 88

2012 25 TOR 625 23 47 149 .223 .289 .400 .689 86

2013 26 TOR 458 22 37 135 .276 .338 .501 .840 127

2014 27 TOR 376 18 29 124 .225 .287 .448 .735 104

6 Yrs 3039 116 262 767 .246 .313 .438 .751 103

162 Game Avg. 621 24 54 157 .246 .313 .438 .751 103

TOR (4 yrs) 1599 66 118 447 .234 .295 .433 .728 97

STL (3 yrs) 1440 50 144 320 .259 .334 .444 .777 110

AL (4 yrs) 1599 66 118 447 .234 .295 .433 .728 97

NL (3 yrs) 1440 50 144 320 .259 .334 .444 .777 110

</PRE>

Provided by <a href="http://www.sports-reference.com/sharing.shtml?utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool">Baseball-Reference.com</a>: <a href="http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/r/rasmuco01.shtml?sr&utm_source=direct&utm_medium=Share&utm_campaign=ShareTool#batting_standard">View Original Table</a><br>Generated 12/22/2014.

Do we really need another wildly inconsistent bat who can't hit left handed pitching?

He could be a very effective left side of a platoon with Delmon Young or Steve Pearce but free agent prices for a platoon outfielder is a no go.

I'm angrily mulling over the fact that we are now reduced to talking about signing the likes of the over-hyped Colby Rasmus, trading for the ancient Marlon Byrd or the overly-expensive, oft-injured Matt kemp, or just throwing Chris Davis into RF, instead of signing Markakis to the 4/40 deal that was supposedly yanked off the table.

That said, I would hope that DD is able to pull off a trade that will fill the OF need with genuine ML talent without giving up too much of the farm talent. Or that the Orioles would be so lucky as to have one of Henry Urrutia or Dariel Alvarez suddenly blossom.

in ST.

I'm not ready to join the the "DD as savior" following.

I'm angrily mulling over the fact that we are now reduced to talking about signing the likes of the over-hyped Colby Rasmus, trading for the ancient Marlon Byrd or the overly-expensive, oft-injured Matt kemp, or just throwing Chris Davis into RF, instead of signing Markakis to the 4/40 deal that was supposedly yanked off the table.

That said, I would hope that DD is able to pull off a trade that will fill the OF need with genuine ML talent without giving up too much of the farm talent. Or that the Orioles would be so lucky as to have one of Henry Urrutia or Dariel Alvarez suddenly blossom.

in ST.

I'm not ready to join the the "DD as savior" following.

I like our guys.

Archived