It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I highly doubt that the Orioles have either Rasmus or Ichiro ranked high on their list. These guys are likely fallback options in the event that good trade options dry up or that Aoki's contract demands don't come down.

We can only hope this is the case. I wasn't a big fan Aoki, but I believe he is the best choice.

Unless a trade is worked out for an unmentioned player Rasmus has to be the best choice as long as it's a one year deal. I definitely wouldn't give him more than a year and something tells me that a one year deal in Baltimore is probably enticing after the Cruz signing.

Aoki is a decent option especially when you consider team needs. ..RF, lead off hitter, OBP, a little speed but I just don't know if his defense will cut it. We've got a rotation full of fly ball pitchers, there needs to be good defenders out there.

I dunno about the Ichiro talk. I just can't see it happening.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles having ongoing dialogue with Colby Rasmus, among other left-handed-hitting outfield options, sources say.</p>? Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="
">December 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles have continued to show interest in Ichiro Suzuki, as well.</p>? Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">December 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

1311330752599987.gif

Has he figured out a way for his BABIP to be >.350? Otherwise, he's a .220 hitter.

People used stats to dog Cruz last year how did that work out. Keep hating.

Has he figured out a way for his BABIP to be >.350? Otherwise, he's a .220 hitter.

That's one way to look at it. Overall in his career, Rasmus has been a .235 hitter with a fairly normal BABIP of .298. I think the obvious key with him is cutting down the strikeouts. His K rate has gone from 23.8% to 29.5% to 33.0% over the last three seasons. Nobody's going to hit for high average with a 33% K rate.

Edit: originally thought you two were talking about Ichiro.

I can see where people are concerned about Rasmus' bat but depending on the contract he's the best defender available with good offensive upside.

What does this even mean?

Cruz was coming off a 2013 season with a wRC+ of 122.

Ichiro hasn't had a wRC+ over 100 since 2010 - he is a significantly below average hitter at this stage of his career.

If we're going to rely on defense to make up the value of a weak hitter I'd rather see David Lough.

SMFH No one here wants Ichiro keep up.

Haha, so what's the point of this post... that we shouldn't look at his stats? Are you just going off a gut feeling or what?

It's a gut feeling Colby is well worth the risk.

C'mon, that is an inapt comparison. The big issue with Cruz was whether he'd be able to maintain his historical numbers after being suspended for PED's -- i.e., if he stopped using PED's, would his performance drop off a cliff? There were no real doubts that he'd been a consistently good hitter to that point. Rasmus is a very different case -- he has been wildly inconsistent. Both were risky, but it was a different kind of risk.

What should we look at then? His spunky attitude? Is his will to win off the charts? It's not hating, just pointing out that he's a poor hitter unless he has a ridiculous BABIP. Any counter to that, or just blind fan boy optimism?

Archived