It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

Per Roch, it's sounding like talks with Rasmus are getting serious. He says there is "legitimate interest," that the O's have maintained a dialogue with his agent since the Winter Meetings, and "this isn't mere rumor or speculation." He further says he believes "their first choice would be Rasmus if they're convinced that he's a good fit in the clubhouse." Roch says the O's think Rasmus is looking for one year at $5-8 mm that he can use as a springboard for a bigger deal in 2016 (sound familiar?)

http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2014/12/orioles-interest-in-rasmus-is-real.html

Thanks to my insomnia I beat Birdland to the punch with this one, but I'm guessing he'll wake up excited to read this.

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Rasmus was very good in 2013.

However, I'd be willing to wager that in equal playing time David Lough would have a higher WAR than either Rasmus or Aoki. That said, I'm fine with a cheap one year deal for Rasmus. A coin flip on upside and if he sucks, its no big deal. I just want Lough to get some real time. I like him more than De Aza anyway.

One thing about Rasmus, I was surprised to see that he is a + defender over his career at CF on both BBRef and Fangraphs. I would have assumed that our ideal lineup with him vs. RHP would be Lough and De Aza in the field (Pearce rotating in occasionally) with CR at DH. Not saying the defensive metrics are gospel, but they do make you think. If he's a + CF, can we expect better at COF as far as the defensive numbers go?

Rasmus has much better numbers vs. RHP than LHP (.788 vs. .648). Do you play him every day against RHP, whether that be RF or DH, and part-time vs. LHP, rotating him, Lough and De Aza in the extra COF spot with Pearce being a fixture at the other COF and Young at DH?

Per Roch, it's sounding like talks with Rasmus are getting serious. He says there is "legitimate interest," that the O's have maintained a dialogue with his agent since the Winter Meetings, and "this isn't mere rumor or speculation." He further says he believes "their first choice would be Rasmus if they're convinced that he's a good fit in the clubhouse." Roch says the O's think Rasmus is looking for one year at $5-8 mm that he can use as a springboard for a bigger deal in 2016 (sound familiar?)

http://m.masn.mobi/school-of-roch/2014/12/orioles-interest-in-rasmus-is-real.html

Thanks to my insomnia I beat Birdland to the punch with this one, but I'm guessing he'll wake up excited to read this.

I think Rasmus makes a lot of sense for us. I think between him, De Aza, Lough, Pearce and Young we have a bunch of guys that could play between 40% and 80% of available PAs to maximize their abilities. You have the pieces to let Manny, Adam, Hardy and Davis have a day off in spots or DH with an adequate guy manning his position. This is where Buck makes his money and accolades... managing feelings/egos and putting his guys in ideal positions to succeed.

Signing Rasmus would probably cost Lough his spot on the roster. Rasmus could backup center and needs a righthanded platoon partner. Hassan's high OBP would look attractive.

The O's would have two corner outfielders that are potential platoon guys. But with Pearce and Hassan they could handle that. Delmon DHing vs lefties.

Rasmus does offer 20 HR power and good outfield defense. He doesn't help two areas that the O's need help in - OBP and lowering strikeouts. And he is not know as a good clubhouse guy. Buck is probably going to want to do more than talk to him on the phone if he gets serious about signing him. He is going to want to look him in the eyes and make sure he would fit. Like he did with Delmon. Buck is probably going to want to know if Rasmus will work with Coolbaugh to cut down on his strikeouts. I would think Buck has to believe that Rasmus would do that in good faith. A Coolbaugh meeting with Rasmus may be in store also.

There may be some competition for Rasmus from the Mariners and Giants. Both appear to be in on Seth Smith also. But Smith may be part of the Padres discussions with the Phillies on Hamels.

I am not on board with Rasmus. But they have not asked me to vote--yet.

Would Rasmus fit in the clubhouse?

I seem to remember he was run out of St. Louis because his Dad was trying to tell Tony LaRussa what to do. But at that time he was considered one of the top prospects in baseball. Maybe now that he's lost some of that luster that has changed.

Just don't want any me-first types in this clubhouse. Part of the reason for the O's success, as hokey as it sounds, is 25 guys pulling one way.

Would Rasmus fit in the clubhouse?

I seem to remember he was run out of St. Louis because his Dad was trying to tell Tony LaRussa what to do. But at that time he was considered one of the top prospects in baseball. Maybe now that he's lost some of that luster that has changed.

Just don't want any me-first types in this clubhouse. Part of the reason for the O's success, as hokey as it sounds, is 25 guys pulling one way.

I'm not a Rasmus guy based on hearing the same things. But I would bet he is capable of being a good soldier, in a strong clubhouse, when there is a lot of future money on the line.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

crazy-dance.gif

Arguably the two biggest reasons for the Orioles' success over the last 3 years are power throughout the line-up, and good defense wherever possible. Rasmus fills both of those buckets if it happens.

I don't have any issues with Rasmus fitting in the clubhouse. Like Roch mentioned, they don't sign any of these guys (Young, Cruz, Aceves last year) before Buck has a chance to talk to them. So if Buck gives his seal of approval, I don't see any reason not to give mine.

I'm not a Rasmus guy based on hearing the same things. But I would bet he is capable of being a good soldier, in a strong clubhouse, when there is a lot of future money on the line.

2014 was his walk year in Toronto and he didn't perform for them.

2014 was his walk year in Toronto and he didn't perform for them.

But did you hear stories about him being a malcontent last season? I don't recall any. He's coming off a season where he couldn't cash in. This time he's getting a second chance. I don't see him being a clubhouse problem. If he doesn't perform on the field, don't play him.

On the clubhouse issues, don't think that would be a problem witht he clubhouse we have. He would have to fit the winning structure we have in place.

As for his role, I would still prefer Seth Smith, but since we give up nothing to sign Rasmus I would get on board with that. Like someone else said in the thread, if he doesn't produce he won't play. I think we keep Lough, De Aza, and Rasmus on the roster with the 1 of those 3 playing the worse as the backup OF. The other two start vs. RHP and Pearce DHs vs. RHP. Versus left-hand hitters one of them plays LF, Young DHs and Pearce plays RF.

Up to this point I have not been excited about Colby Rasmus.

Rasmus' reputation needs some repair work. The Orioles didn't sign Nelson Cruz and Delmon Young until manager Buck Showalter spoke to them. He set up a conference call with controversial reliever Alfredo Aceves during the January minicamp in Sarasota. Rasmus doesn't carry that kind of baggage, but it stands to reason that Showalter would want to converse with him - a character check, if you will - before approving of a deal.
The Orioles believe that Rasmus, who made $7 million this season, would accept a one-year deal in the $5 million to $8 million range that might serve as a platform for a much bigger payday in 2016. It worked for Cruz last winter and he's now the platform poster child.

But if Buck approves and he signs a 1 year $5-8 million contract to be a platoon corner outfielder, I'm on-board with that.

Archived