It's time to get on the Colby Rasmus train (Signs w/Houston)

Greg

• Replies 855
  • Created
  • Last Reply
People used stats to dog Cruz last year how did that work out. Keep hating.

Cruz is a much more accomplished hitter than Rasmus. All Cruz had to do was stay healthy, and he'd succeed, imo. Rasmus is a big questionmark - even if he stays healthy. Unfortunately, he might be the best realistic option left.

What should we look at then? His spunky attitude? Is his will to win off the charts? It's not hating, just pointing out that he's a poor hitter unless he has a ridiculous BABIP. Any counter to that, or just blind fan boy optimism?

Well both years he had the high OBP he also was smacking the ball very hard (ISO > 220). That suggests it's less balls luckily falling into play, but instead that hard hit line drives tend to raise BABIP.

He also had a better OPS than Nick Markakis last year, despite his low average.

There are a lot of contracts I could see for Rasmus that have some good surplus value.

Well both years he had the high OBP he also was smacking the ball very hard (ISO > 220). That suggests it's less balls luckily falling into play, but instead that hard hit line drives tend to raise BABIP.

He also had a better OPS than Nick Markakis last year, despite his low average.

There are a lot of contracts I could see for Rasmus that have some good surplus value.

His ISO last year was in those levels too, but his BABIP came back to career average levels. His K rate was also an alarming 33% last year, which raises serious questions about whether he can even make contact.

Also, his OPS relative to Markakis is not important. Look at what it will be compared to Lough or whoever would play RF this year.

His ISO last year was in those levels too, but his BABIP came back to career average levels. His K rate was also an alarming 33% last year, which raises serious questions about whether he can even make contact.

Also, his OPS relative to Markakis is not important. Look at what it will be compared to Lough or whoever would play RF this year.

Well I'm a big Lough supporter and I think he'd provide good value if we could get him ~400AB.

Regardless it seems obvious the team doesn't look at him beyond as a 4th OF - otherwise why are we looking for yet another LH bat.

Well I'm a big Lough supporter and I think he'd provide good value if we could get him ~400AB.

Regardless it seems obvious the team doesn't look at him beyond as a 4th OF - otherwise why are we looking for yet another LH bat.

Depth? It's not like they're looking to spend much, just someone to have in case Lough hits like he did early last year. Or, if they can get a guy like Smith on the cheap, we can still find a spot for Lough. Also, I don't believe a word about the Ichiro interest.

I agree about Lough, but going with him as Plan A is putting yourself out pretty far on a limb if you're DD.

I highly doubt that the Orioles have either Rasmus or Ichiro ranked high on their list. These guys are likely fallback options in the event that good trade options dry up or that Aoki's contract demands don't come down.

I am convinced that the Orioles have no interest in Aoki.

What should we look at then? His spunky attitude? Is his will to win off the charts? It's not hating, just pointing out that he's a poor hitter unless he has a ridiculous BABIP. Any counter to that, or just blind fan boy optimism?

Remember that year Larry Sheetz was good?

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Orioles still showing interest in Nori Aoki, in addition to Colby Rasmus and Ichiro Suzuki among free-agent outfielders.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

">December 29, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

I think you are right unless they can get him for 1 year which likely isn't going to happen.

They probably feel that they can get similar production from Ichiro with a 1 year commitment. As for Rasmus I think he would be an Oriole if he decides he wants to do the 1 year thing to try to rebuild his value. So if we don't make a trade you have 3 free agents that fit the teams needs but we, in my opinion will not sign any of them for more than 1 year. I guess they all know that so lets see who blinks.

I think you are right unless they can get him for 1 year which likely isn't going to happen.

They probably feel that they can get similar production from Ichiro with a 1 year commitment. As for Rasmus I think he would be an Oriole if he decides he wants to do the 1 year thing to try to rebuild his value. So if we don't make a trade you have 3 free agents that fit the teams needs but we, in my opinion will not sign any of them for more than 1 year. I guess they all know that so lets see who blinks.

I am not certain there is any market for Aoki at more than a year though.

Archived