Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> met with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> today to discuss Marlon Byrd.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 9, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Sources: <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> met with <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Phillies?src=hash">#Phillies</a> today to discuss Marlon Byrd.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

Byrd's 3rd year option is concerning. It will vest if he gets 463 PA's in 2015. If he reaches that because he is playing well and the team is winning, then fine, but I'd hate to be on the hook in 2016 paying $8M to a 38 year old OF.

In any event, I have a hard time believing this gets done unless the Phillies are more or less giving him away and/or are willing to pay a lot of his salary. Duquette just said yesterday that he is hesitant to give up players and then pay the (relatively large) salary they would inherit on the player the team receives in return. Unless the Phillies bend by either asking for less in return or eating some of the salary, I doubt anything gets done. That's fine with me, too. Byrd would be an okay one year investment but not if it means giving up players and paying him $8M (before even getting into the option year).

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Mets?src=hash">#Mets</a> have remained in contact with free-agent reliever Craig Breslow, sources tell <a href="https://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal">@Ken_Rosenthal</a> and me.</p>— Jon Morosi (@jonmorosi) <a href="

Byrd's 3rd year option is concerning. It will vest if he gets 463 PA's in 2015. If he reaches that because he is playing well and the team is winning, then fine, but I'd hate to be on the hook in 2016 paying $8M to a 38 year old OF.

In any event, I have a hard time believing this gets done unless the Phillies are more or less giving him away and/or are willing to pay a lot of his salary. Duquette just said yesterday that he is hesitant to give up players and then pay the (relatively large) salary they would inherit on the player the team receives in return. Unless the Phillies bend by either asking for less in return or eating some of the salary, I doubt anything gets done. That's fine with me, too. Byrd would be an okay one year investment but not if it means giving up players and paying him $8M (before even getting into the option year).

I'm not so worried about the cost. If he produces like he did last season, 8M is a bargain. I'm just worried that a guy coming into his age 37 season is going to remain that productive.

I'm not so worried about the cost. If he produces like he did last season, 8M is a bargain. I'm just worried that a guy coming into his age 37 season is going to remain that productive.

$8M on its own is no big deal. If Byrd were a free agent and was willing to sign for 1/$8, he would make a great addition. It is the $8M plus the players it would take to get him in a trade that would give me pause. The Phillies are doing to want something decent in return. I am not sure I'd even want to give up one of our second or third tier pitching prospects for him on top of paying $8M, at least not when there are other options available on the FA market.

$8M on its own is no big deal. If Byrd were a free agent and was willing to sign for 1/$8, he would make a great addition. It is the $8M plus the players it would take to get him in a trade that would give me pause. The Phillies are doing to want something decent in return. I am not sure I'd even want to give up one of our second or third tier pitching prospects for him on top of paying $8M, at least not when there are other options available on the FA market.

:agree:

Agree wholeheartedly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have inquired about free-agent OF/DH Jonny Gomes, according to an industry source. Gomes has .376 career OBP against LHP.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

What does 2014 have to do with 2015?

Blue Jays better

Red Sox better and wait till they sign a couple pitchers that wont be a 71 win team

Yanks are always around 84 to 88 win team

Rays are the Rays.

There are a million variables. Most importantly, who stays healthy? I think it is very important for Orioles fans to understand that while we expect to have Wieters and Manny back, and hopefully Davis will have a better year than in 2014, it's not like we should expect that everyone on the team will stay healthy. So, I don't think it's right to say we can make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis because other players are coming back -- some players will get hurt, we just don't know who yet, and if we don't acquire any additional bats this winter, the lack of depth will show when those injuries occur. I think Dan knows this, and while he probably won't acquire two players who are the caliber of Cruz and Markakis, he'll acquire players who are good enough to allow the team to withstand injuries to 1-2 players and not have a drastic drop in offense from last year.

There are a million variables. Most importantly, who stays healthy? I think it is very important for Orioles fans to understand that while we expect to have Wieters and Manny back, and hopefully Davis will have a better year than in 2014, it's not like we should expect that everyone on the team will stay healthy. So, I don't think it's right to say we can make up for the loss of Cruz and Markakis because other players are coming back -- some players will get hurt, we just don't know who yet, and if we don't acquire any additional bats this winter, the lack of depth will show when those injuries occur. I think Dan knows this, and while he probably won't acquire two players who are the caliber of Cruz and Markakis, he'll acquire players who are good enough to allow the team to withstand injuries to 1-2 players and not have a drastic drop in offense from last year.

And...he'll bolster the bullpen with guys with options, and hopefully find a cheap starter as well. You can't have too much pitching.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> have inquired about free-agent OF/DH Jonny Gomes, according to an industry source. Gomes has .376 career OBP against LHP.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

I'd be happy with Gomes, but I'm not sure he's a starter. He would be a decent replacement for Delmon Young, but I don't think you can count on him with the way he's declined each of the last 3 years.

Archived