Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

...so the Orioles have kicked the tires on Chris Denorfia and Jonny Gomes. I don't want any part of Gomes. Denorfia though, he's a little intriguing.

Age 34

2014 - .230/.284/.318, 76 OPS+

Career - .271/.331/.394, 105 OPS+

He's primarily played in a spacious ballpark in San Diego that kept his slugging% down. I imagine he wouldn't sign for much more than the minimum. He's a better defender than Delmon Young, but I don't think his age 34 season will out-hit Young's age 29 season.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
if you want to go by saber metrics sure maybe it is a wash but over a 162 game season you better damn believe Markakis in 2015 would have been a better option.

I'm not sure what you mean. It seems that you're saying that careful analysis of available information says it's a wash, but via some other method (guts, feel, I'm not sure?) Markakis is a lot better. How do you think the available evidence is misleading?

It seems like the emphasis on high OBP guys like Swisher and Choo has shifted to guys that are strong enough to hit 26 home runs or more in today's post PED era.

OBP is just as valuable as ever. Not making outs is still the most important thing a hitter can do. But the standards for what makes a good OBP has dropped a bit. If there's reason to believe other GMs don't care as much about OBP then that's a weakness Duquette can and should be exploiting.

I'm not sure what you mean. It seems that you're saying that careful analysis of available information says it's a wash, but via some other method (guts, feel, I'm not sure?) Markakis is a lot better. How do you think the available evidence is misleading?

If you had a choice between De Aza or Markakis starting in RF for 2015 [not looking at salary]... who would you prefer?

If you had a choice between De Aza or Markakis starting in RF for 2015 [not looking at salary]... who would you prefer?

A slight nod to Markakis. But the old "not looking at salary" caveat is both irrelevant and completely, wholly changes the argument. Which would you rather have, a respectable Volkswagen Golf for $50,000 or a almost-as-good-but-kind-of-meh Chevy Cruze for $15k? You might pick the Golf if money is totally irrelevant to you and you're used to buying a new Porsche every couple years, but for most everyone else the Chevy is a no-brainer. Markakis is a reasonably nice mid-level car at Audi prices.

OBP is just as valuable as ever. Not making outs is still the most important thing a hitter can do. But the standards for what makes a good OBP has dropped a bit. If there's reason to believe other GMs don't care as much about OBP then that's a weakness Duquette can and should be exploiting.

Right. Thanks for correcting me. Because I was slightly off there. They value power much more than a few years ago and it show.

I don't want everyone to get all butt hurt or anything, but objectively, it won't be that difficult to upgrade right field.

Hank ...despite their success the Orioles were a poor team in regards to OBP and situational hitting. You just let your two best players in regards to both. You can't easily replace them internally or by dumpster diving or the platoon needy players as they don't work.

Hank ...despite their success the Orioles were a poor team in regards to OBP and situational hitting. You just let your two best players in regards to both. You can't easily replace them internally or by dumpster diving or the platoon needy players as they don't work.

Free Agency is a very inefficient way to replace top end talent. A mid to small market team needs to be efficient, or they end up on the wrong end of a 14 year losing streak.

Travis Ishikawa

Joe Panik

Gregor Blanco

Mike Morse

Free Agency is a very inefficient way to replace top end talent. A mid to small market team needs to be efficient, or they end up on the wrong end of a 14 year losing streak.

Weams ...I understand your point. But you have to pick a poison. You can't sit on your hands. You have to either spend the money or trade prospects to get guys like Kemp or Upton.

Otherwise your just dumpster diving that's unlikely to improve over what you've lost...guys like Pearce , Lough, Gomes won't do it.

Weams ...I understand your point. But you have to pick a poison. You can't sit on your hands. You have to either spend the money or trade prospects to get guys like Kemp or Upton.

Otherwise your just dumpster diving that's unlikely to improve over what you've lost...guys like Pearce , Lough, Gomes won't do it.

Or trade MLB talent for premium prospects.. Bedard trade.

Archived