Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>PSA: spending doesn't guarantee you'll win but if you won a WS I guarantee you spent. Top 10 payrolls win titles. Just a reminder <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLB?src=hash">#MLB</a></p>— Ken Weinman (@KenWeinmanSport) <a href="
">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

At least someone in the Baltimore media gets it.

The Kansas City Royals and their sub-100 million dollar payroll were literally one hit away from winning the World Series this year. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Pretty sure that's what I am saying. The fact is Tillman, Chen, and Norris pitched toe to toe with Scherzer, Verlander, and Price even though the latter have a much higher pedigree. Yes, Detroit was undid by their pen and lack of D. That's the whole point. I'm willing to not have the big name if it means I can have a quality D and above average pen.

:agree:

Nice summary and an outlook I'm largely comfortable with. I would have liked the club to go out on the ledge and added Miller to make the quality pen an elite pen.

I like Miller but I don't know how I feel about giving a reliever 9 mill a year for four years given how unpredictable relief pitching is. Granted if Britton had completely bombed as closer, I'd probably be singing a different tune. I'm actually pretty optimistic going forward. I don't feel that we're in danger of entering mediocrity like we did following '97 since we're building a system.

The Kansas City Royals and their sub-100 million dollar payroll were literally one hit away from winning the World Series this year. The playoffs are a crap shoot.

Did they win? All They did was get hot for 3 weeks.

<iframe height="212" title="Embedded Tweet" class="twitter-tweet twitter-tweet-rendered" id="twitter-widget-0" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="border-width: 1px; border-style: solid; border-color: rgb(238, 238, 238) rgb(221, 221, 221) rgb(187, 187, 187); margin: 10px 0px; padding: 0px; border-radius: 5px; width: 500px; display: block; visibility: visible; position: static; min-width: 220px; max-width: 99%; box-shadow: 0px 1px 3px rgba(0,0,0,0.15);" allowtransparency="true" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

<script src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8" async=""></script>

At least someone in the Baltimore media gets it.

I love the "won a WS" stuff. As if making the playoffs and winning the series has any substantive difference in team quality. Just a couple months ago the teams in the ALCS were both outside the top 10 by tens of $millions, and the Rays, Pirates, and A's have been very strong contenders lately with payrolls that don't make the top 20. This kind of statement takes a weak correlation and tries to twist it into an unassailable fact.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

I love the "won a WS" stuff. As if making the playoffs and winning the series has any substantive difference in team quality. Just a couple months ago the teams in the ALCS were both outside the top 10 by tens of $millions, and the Rays, Pirates, and A's have been very strong contenders lately with payrolls that don't make the top 20. This kind of statement takes a weak correlation and tries to twist it into an unassailable fact.

<iframe id="rufous-sandbox" frameborder="0" scrolling="no" style="display: none;" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Sorry winning the WS is what the players play for not just make the playoffs.

So you're saying the reason the Giants won a one-run game 7 is because of their payroll? That's why the Royals weren't able to drive in Alex Gordon in the 9th inning?

I'm saying the payroll help them win 4 games in a 7 game series not just 1 play.

Archived