Official Winter Meetings Thread

weams

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Yep. Anyhow, this may sound silly but bear with me, it's not about winning in one year and man it pains me to say that since I've never even so much as seen a pennant winner in my years as a fan of this team but it's about building a consistent winner year in and year out.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't want to overpay for some guy who might be good for a year or two to win NOW and give up our future. Or trade away our young studs for guys who are only signed for one year. I'd rather have a lower chance of winning the World Series for a 10 year period instead of having a higher chance to win it for 2 years and then have no good players left.

Like I said before, all you need to do is make the playoffs. You don't have to be the most overpowering team in the regular season, just enough to make it. And once you make it, anything can happen.

Chen was 44th in the majors last year in ERA.

If that's ace level stuff, then we've really lowered the standards.

If you're just basing ERA then, Chen finished ahead of Jered Weaver, a supposed TOR for the Angels.

Another supposed "ace", Justin Verlander, finished 37 spots behind Chen with an ERA of 4.54.

Shoot... maybe Tillman is the ace, since his ERA was better than Chen's.

This is exactly how I feel. I don't want to overpay for some guy who might be good for a year or two to win NOW and give up our future. Or trade away our young studs for guys who are only signed for one year. I'd rather have a lower chance of winning the World Series for a 10 year period instead of having a higher chance to win it for 2 years and then have no good players left.

Like I said before, all you need to do is make the playoffs. You don't have to be the most overpowering team in the regular season, just enough to make it. And once you make it, anything can happen.

Making the playoffs in the A.L this year is gonna be hard.

Yeah I definitely agree with you there. Need to do more work on the system. One thing I got at in Frobby's MLB page about 100M contract page is I want us to be the kind of team that develops 100M talent. I want us to be the kind of team that gets surplus value out of guys.

Exactly. Shopping in the $100 million market is not where we should be and is not something I have advocated in the past. We need to develop elite talent and lock up the talent that is willing to stay, See Jones and Hardy. The elite talent that isn't willing to stay should be moved for additional controllable talent.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Source: Kemp trade will require extensive medical reviews. Kemp, Grandal, Wieland all have significant medical histories.</p>— Ken Rosenthal (@Ken_Rosenthal) <a href="

">December 11, 2014</a></blockquote>

<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Exactly. Shopping in the $100 million market is not where we should be and is not something I have advocated in the past. We need to develop elite talent and lock up the talent that is willing to stay, See Jones and Hardy. The elite talent that isn't willing to stay should be moved for additional controllable talent.

Yep exactly.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>Dont worry, <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Orioles?src=hash">#Orioles</a> fans. Coming up....the Rule 5 draft.</p>— Eduardo A. Encina (@EddieInTheYard) <a href="

At least the beat reporters are catching up.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/dodgers?src=hash">#dodgers</a> eating $32M in Kemp deal drops responsibility for <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Padres?src=hash">#Padres</a> from$107M to 5-$75M or $15M per yr</p>— Joel Sherman (@Joelsherman1) <a href="

What a steal.

Archived