Chen for Gattis? Just a thought...

rolltide

The orioles have to trade Chen who is at his highest value. 16-6 record last season. Boras wants 200 million for Scherzer who was 18-5 with Detroit last season. How much do you think he will want for Chen after this season? 5 years and 75 mill? Maybe.......not Boras! If Chen wins 14 or 15 games he'll probably ask for 6 years and 100 million. Why only 100 million when Scherzer only won 2 more games? Is Scherzer worth even 150 million? Of course not but Boras will try to get the maximum for his player.

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The orioles have to trade Chen who is at his highest value. 16-6 record last season. Boras wants 200 million for Scherzer who was 18-5 with Detroit last season. How much do you think he will want for Chen after this season? 5 years and 75 mill? Maybe.......not Boras! If Chen wins 14 or 15 games he'll probably ask for 6 years and 100 million. Why only 100 million when Scherzer only won 2 more games? Is Scherzer worth even 150 million? Of course not but Boras will try to get the maximum for his player.

FYI, win/loss isn't a very good way to judge a pitcher.

Do you think folks in the FO still care about pitcher wins?

We are not talking about the former players and guys like Jim Leyland when he is picking the all star game.

What? One fluke star for another?

Miguel is no fluke. Three years of pitching in the east may not look like much to people, but he's done it consistently well above league average. Not far above but enough to separate himself from the chaff and well worth Gattis in whom I don't place much value. Miguel has averaged over 2 WAR( bREF) for his three seasons and while I'm not crazy about his peripherals his WHIP has been steady throughout.

Gattis, OTOH, had a nice season last year. Nice, not great. More likely he's the fluke. If he's not then I don't want to give a lot away based on what he might become. Gonzalez for Gattis is fair. If a deal were made I'd want him in RF not LF. More ground to cover out there in LF at OPACY and he is a -10 per DRS the last time he played there for the Braves in 2013. In RF with some regularity the hope is that he could learn to play the wall reasonably well enough not to embarrass himself.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using my own digits

Miguel is no fluke. Three years of pitching in the east may not look like much to people, but he's done it consistently well above league average. Not far above but enough to separate himself from the chaff and well worth Gattis in whom I don't place much value. Miguel has averaged over 2 WAR( bREF) for his three seasons and while I'm not crazy about his peripherals his WHIP has been steady throughout.

Gattis, OTOH, had a nice season last year. Nice, not great. More likely he's the fluke. If he's not then I don't want to give a lot away based on what he might become. Gonzalez for Gattis is fair. If a deal were made I'd want him in RF not LF. More ground to cover out there in LF at OPACY and he is a -10 per DRS the last time he played there for the Braves in 2013. In RF with some regularity the hope is that he could learn to play the wall reasonably well enough not to embarrass himself.

Not exactly a ringing endorsement, eh?

Sent from my iPhone using my own digits

You don't want him in right, you want him at DH.

Archived