Colby Rasmus vs Nori Aoki

luismatos4prez

Would you rather the Orioles signed Colby Rasmus or Nori Aoki  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the Orioles signed Colby Rasmus or Nori Aoki

• Colby Rasmus
    • Nori Aoki

People are getting too hung up on the OBP. Aoki was a poor defender last year. The numbers were below average and the Royals obviously felt the same way as they took him out for defense in the late innings. His walk rates are good but not outstanding. He had 43 walks last year. He's been a consistent .285 hitter which keeps his OBP high. If his average sinks into the 260's, he's toast. And at age 33, his power and defense have already declined over the last 2 years. Let's stop chasing OBP and just get the better player.

Yep best comment.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Does it really help if Aoki gets on base 40 points more than Rasmus, if Rasmus slugs 50 points higher (using career averages) and plays better defense?

I believe some are hung up on gaining a traditional lead off hitter. I'm not and even if I were Aoki has not been excellent there.

Would you rather the Orioles signed Nori Aoki or Colby Rasmus?

I think they're roughly equivalent players but I'd rather have a high OBP guy than another high K, low OBP guy in the lineup.

:agree: I like a guy who can lead off, get on base and steal a few Also I don't need to worry about clubhouse issues.

You think there's going to be clubhouse issues with Adam Jones playing and Buck Showalter managing the team?
No, because they'll bench him or boot him off the team, but what a waste of time that would be. If Colby passes the Buck test then I'm OK with him, but I have my doubts he will. I think he's a head case.

No, because they'll bench him or boot him off the team, but what a waste of time that would be. If Colby passes the Buck test then I'm OK with him, but I have my doubts he will. I think he's a head case.

It seems the same may have been said about you on this board, but here you remain. ;)

Does it really help if Aoki gets on base 40 points more than Rasmus, if Rasmus slugs 50 points higher (using career averages) and plays better defense?

In a vacuum I would choose Rasmus over Aoki primarily for the upside potential. In the context of the Orioles offense as they are currently constructed, I think that we have a gamble in Davis improving, an ongoing and worthwhile project in Schoop, and an unknown in Wieters. Overall we have significant issues with OBP especially when our (2nd?) best player in that regard has departed. Do we really need another gamble/project in Rasmus?

I think either would be a net gain and neither would be a difference-maker. I just think Aoki would be a better fit given the two available choices. As I said in my original post in the thread, I'm not thrilled with either of them.

I agree that Rasmus probably has the edge in defense but having Lough on the team mitigates that somewhat.

Kind wish "None of the above" was a choice.

Rasmus has a history that suggests to me that he is a bit of a head case. His defense is good but as other posters have noted, you already have a guy in Lough who is pretty decent in that respect. From an offensive side, the guy strikes out a ton, I cannot see that changing. How many low OBP, high strike out guys does one team need? Rasmus is a gamble, on a team with some good talent in other areas and multiple players such as Davis and Weiters whom you already gambling on to return to form, I would rather roll with the guy who will give the small but consistent contribution if I have to pick one.

I'm not either. I am more adamant about old washed up poor defense no power Aoki. But if we sign him, I'll root for him too.

Think your being a bit rough on Aoki, his defense looked adequate enough in the ALCS to me and the other times we saw him play. Not stellar but "poor" seems a little rough. His metrics are comparable to what we had out there last year (Nick)

Rasmus on the other hand managed to SO 124 times in 346 AB's....do we really need another free swinging guy who can't get on base but will pop the occasional HR.

Frankly I would just roll with Lough over both of these guys, the O's missed their opportunities to add a guy who would have been a significant upgrade over him. To me neither of these guys bring enough to the table that I would pay them significantly more than Lough will make and take up a roster spot. Roll with Lough and if he cant get it done, then revisit it later via trade or if Alvarez (maybe) or Yaz (maybe) or Urritia (doubtful) look ready give them some playing time.

Think your being a bit rough on Aoki, his defense looked adequate enough in the ALCS to me and the other times we saw him play. Not stellar but "poor" seems a little rough. His metrics are comparable to what we had out there last year (Nick)

Rasmus on the other hand managed to SO 124 times in 346 AB's....do we really need another free swinging guy who can't get on base but will pop the occasional HR.

Frankly I would just roll with Lough over both of these guys, the O's missed their opportunities to add a guy who would have been a significant upgrade over him. To me neither of these guys bring enough to the table that I would pay them significantly more than Lough will make and take up a roster spot. Roll with Lough and if he cant get it done, then revisit it later via trade or if Alvarez (maybe) or Yaz (maybe) or Urritia (doubtful) look ready give them some playing time.

High K rate does not equal "free swinging". Rasmus' plate discipline is above average.

Archived