Would you rather the Orioles signed Colby Rasmus or Nori Aoki  

70 members have voted

1. 1. Would you rather the Orioles signed Colby Rasmus or Nori Aoki

• Colby Rasmus
    • Nori Aoki

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Would you rather the Orioles signed Nori Aoki or Colby Rasmus?

I think they're roughly equivalent players but I'd rather have a high OBP guy than another high K, low OBP guy in the lineup.

I would play Henry Urrutia there before wasting any money on Aoki. I think he would be awful.

I was no fan of signing Rasmus to a multi-year contract, as was discussed earlier in the off-season. A deal like the 1 year/ 5-8 million that is being discussed now, however, is something I can definitely get behind. I like his upside much more than Aoki.

Tough question. I think the Orioles wanted another LH hitter with some pop and I agree with that.

On the other hand, we need OBP. Last year, 5 of the 7 teams that scored more runs than the Orioles had a lower SLG pct while ALL 7 of them had a higher OBP.

I voted Aoki and actually I might have gone with what we had.

I'd rather have the higher OBP guy as well although neither thrills me. Rasmus would be an intriguing gamble, but he K's a third of the time as did Davis last year and Schoop has a LOT of improvement to make in that department as well. Given the current construction of the team and Duquette's apparent choice to keep Davis, I think we'll miss Markakis' career .358 OBP more than Cruz's HR's in 2015.

I'd rather have the higher OBP guy as well although neither thrills me. Rasmus would be an intriguing gamble, but he K's a third of the time as did Davis last year and Schoop has a LOT of improvement to make in that department as well. Given the current construction of the team and Duquette's apparent choice to keep Davis, I think we'll miss Markakis' career .358 OBP more than Cruz's HR's in 2015.
Power is scarce. It's a hit and two walks a week difference in OBP.

It's kind of a wash. Aoki is a known quantity, a 2-ish win player with little upside beyond that. Rasmus is all over the place, interspersing 4-win seasons with replacement-level dreck. I guess I'd go with Rasmus using the same rational I did with Ubaldo last year (I'd rather have the inconsistent player because the upside is higher - leads to higher odds of an impact season, but also higher odds of a complete bust) but the price would have to be right.

Aoki is an everyday leadoff hitter with a high OBP. I have liked him since Nick left. Rasmus is a platoon player IMO with more power and speed. I would have to say the announcement that Buck is going to Alabama and the research I have done on Rasmus in the last few days is shading my opinion. I could live with either one.

Power is scarce. It's a hit and two walks a week difference in OBP.

It's not scarce on the Orioles relatively speaking if you use 2014 as your guide. The difference in AL SLG between first place Detroit and second place Baltimore last year was .004. The O's were eleventh out of fifteen teams last year in OBP and .005 under league average. That's an area that should be addressed IMO especially in light of Markakis' departure.

The Royals traded David Lough last year to make room for their new RF, Nori Aoki.

After the All Star break, Aoki lost his leadoff job. In fact, the Royals were not in contention until they dropped Aoki to second in the order.

He also was replaced in right field in late inning situations by a better defender.

His OBP last season was .349, and in spite of that his OPS+ was only 98.

The Royals expressed no interest in bringing back Aoki and signed Alex Rios.

Like the Royals, I have no interest in Aoki. I'd rather play Lough.

Rasmus, on the other hand, could be lightning in a bottle. He's worth a one-year deal.

Archived