2015 Rotation: 6 men, 5 spots. How does the team determine the odd man out?

Nevermore

Who will be the odd man out in the 2015 rotation?  

42 members have voted

1. 1. Who will be the odd man out in the 2015 rotation?

• Chris Tillman
    • Wei-Yin Chen
    • Bud Norris
    • Miguel Gonzalez
    • Kevin Gausman
    • Ubaldo Jimenez
    • Someone will get traded
    • One of the rookies will get the starting spot, so there will be 2 men out

This poll is closed to new votes

I wouldn't draw any conclusions from that roster. The site you linked to is just an auto-generated roster that gets pulled from another source (maybe rotoworld). It doesn't have any inside knowledge about how the Orioles view Jimenez.

I would assume Jimenez is listed as a relief pitcher because that's where he ended the 2014 season. You might notice that Kevin Gausman is also listed as a relief pitcher, possibly because that's where he pitched in the postseason. Plus there are a few pitchers who just aren't classified correctly. Oliver Drake is listed as a starter, even though he hasn't started a game since 2012. Mike Wright is listed as a reliever, even though he pitched exclusively as a starter for Norfolk in 2014.

Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting. Whoever winds up as "the 6th starter" in the pen will likely not be very happy about it. I just hope that this decision is based upon past numbers and past performance rather than size of salary or other "baseball politics."

I have a book by former Orioles Jamie Moyer -- wonderful book called "Just Tell Me I Can't". Among other things, he discussed how various sorts of baseball politics led to him being consigned to the pen regardless of his performance. At one point, when he was with the Red Sox, he set up a meeting with DD (who was the Red Sox general manager at the time). He wanted to ask why he couldn't be given a regular assignment as a starter, even though he had good numbers. DD set up the meeting and when the meeting time arrived, DD didn't show up. Instead, Jamie was traded to the Mariners where he became an All Star, 20 game winner; when Randy Johnson left the Mariners, Jamie became the ace, the #1 starter.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Whatever happens, it's going to be interesting. Whoever winds up as "the 6th starter" in the pen will likely not be very happy about it. I just hope that this decision is based upon past numbers and past performance rather than size of salary or other "baseball politics."

Ubaldo's salary is based on his past numbers. The question is how far back do you go? Do you only look at 2014 or do you look at 2013 too? His salary per se is irrelevant to winning games, but his salary reflects his established upside, which is higher than any of our other guys have shown. I think Ubaldo has earned the right to start the year in our rotation.

Ubaldo's salary is based on his past numbers. The question is how far back do you go? Do you only look at 2014 or do you look at 2013 too? His salary per se is irrelevant to winning games, but his salary reflects his established upside, which is higher than any of our other guys have shown. I think Ubaldo has earned the right to start the year in our rotation.

You go til 2016.

I have a book by former Orioles Jamie Moyer -- wonderful book called "Just Tell Me I Can't". Among other things, he discussed how various sorts of baseball politics led to him being consigned to the pen regardless of his performance. At one point, when he was with the Red Sox, he set up a meeting with DD (who was the Red Sox general manager at the time). He wanted to ask why he couldn't be given a regular assignment as a starter, even though he had good numbers. DD set up the meeting and when the meeting time arrived, DD didn't show up. Instead, Jamie was traded to the Mariners where he became an All Star, 20 game winner; when Randy Johnson left the Mariners, Jamie became the ace, the #1 starter.

I'm certain this will happen again. Any pitchers with iconic basketball coaches as father in laws? Didn't Dan give Jamie one last go round?

I'm noting in the poll that Ubaldo and Gonzo are tied to become the "6th starter" (beginning the year in the bullplen).

Whether a player's salary actually reflects an established upside is subject to debate. There are numerous threads about overpaid players, including more than one about how Ubaldo is overpaid.

Don't get me wrong, I am an Ubaldo fan; I want him to do well. I wasn't his fan until last August, when I saw how well he handled his demotion and his work ethic in improving himself once he realized that something was terribly wrong. I actually agree with you, that Ubaldo has earned his right to start again. The problem is that Gonzo also had earned his right to continue starting. So what do we do?

I actually voted that someone would get traded, but now it looks as though this isn't going to happen; DD wants all 6 starters to guard against injury. It's a dilemma.

I'm certain this will happen again. Any pitchers with iconic basketball coaches as father in laws? Didn't Dan give Jamie one last go round?
Not that I remember. Jamie found himself traded to the Mariners. When he arrived in Seattle, manager Lou Pinella met with him and told him "You're in the rotation," and told him that he would start the day after. Jamie rewarded Pinella with a clear cut victory. And the rest is history. Jamie didn't retire until he was well over 49 years old. He set a record for oldest MLB pitcher to attain a victory, with the Colorado Rockies when he was 49.

Actually, now that I remember, DD did give Jamie another chance when Jamie was around 50 years old. Unfortunately, Jamie was just about through, so DD let him go (don't blame DD at all).

Not according to the Baseball Reference guy who writes "Call To The Pen." So we'll see. That's what makes baseball so interesting. Whatever happens, I will root for our Os pitchers to have a great year. :)

That is not a Baseball Reference guy. That is the NFL stat tout guy. Who writes call to the pen. Along with 73 other folks.

Here is a link to a Call To The Pen blog post that I saw on Baseball Reference:

http://calltothepen.com/2015/01/07/baltimore-orioles-can-2015-rotation-get-job-done/

I hope the link works. I had problems with one of the ads not wanting to be displayed. The article basically stated that, if no one gets injured or traded, it will be Ubaldo who winds up in the pen as the 6th starter.

My own further thoughts. Most people who voted in the poll thought that it would be Gonzo who winds up either in AAA or in the pen because of Gonzo's "lack of leverage", being the lowest paid, furthest away from FA, or other "baseball politics." I have extremely serious doubts that Tillman, Gausman, Norris, or Chen will end up in the bullpen. All of these had decent 2014 records so no reason, even if one of them were to have a horrible ST, that any of them would be the 6th starter. I think that Gonzo should be included with these 4, but I gather that, in his case, there is the "baseball politics" issue. As for Ubaldo, the "baseball politics" issues are complicated. Yes, DD signed him to be one of the starters, and his salary is the highest of all of the starters. So one would think it obvious that he has to be one of the starters starting the 2015 season. However, what happpens if Ubaldo starts a few games the first few weeks, and he gets completely shellacked, reverting to the "bad Ubaldo" of the 2014 season? This makes him look bad, of course. But it makes DD look bad for having signed him in the first place. Wallace said that Ubaldo is improving from the depths of the 2014 season, but he has not yet "turned the corner." It might be better to let him continue to be a spot starter/long reliever and continue his work on his mechanics. Then he'll be able to gain consistency and be a quality starter later in the season.

Joe Wedra

http://nflmocks.com/author/joewedra/

Fansided.

Linked to baseball Reference. So there is that. I a have also seen Jon French linked there.

I don't think voting for Gonzalez is a sign of disrespect. The gaps among the six starters are quite small, IMO. Each has a case for the rotation. Some can say that Jimenez had the worst 2014 season, and that's true. But what's better for the team? Would you trust ubaldo's wildness as a reliever? I don't. You can't send him to the minors. Miguel has much more flexibility. Have O'Day, Britton, and Hunter been called on too much during a stretch? Give the ball to Miguel for three innings and have him help manage the bullpen usage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived