What do now that Rasmus is off the board?

ChuckS

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply
This sucks, plain and simple. We supposedly were willing to give him $7M. He signed for $8M.

It's possible that we could still fill our hole in RF by trading one of our starters, although the Fowler trade takes the most attractive name off the market. Barring that, we are going to wind up having to give David Lough 400 at bats, because we weren't willing to spend $8M instead of $7M on someone who actually has some upside with the bat.

He met with Buck Showalter. Buck didn't want him. That is why he wasn't signed for $7 or $8 million. Because Buck didn't want him.

He met with Buck Showalter. Buck didn't want him. That is why he wasn't signed for $7 or $8 million. Because Buck didn't want him.

Do we know this for a fact? Did Buck, or anyone in the organization say, "We cooled on Rasmus because I/Buck had a negative opinion after meeting with him." Of course not. No manager on earth deliberately demeans another player publicly like that...

For the record, I'm happy we didn't sign Rasmus regardless of the reasons why. This is going to be the year that Lough gets his chance (for reasons that escape me). Let's hope it works. This team is set. I'd hate to see Schierholtz or Ichiro in an Orioles uni. Let's take it to the field and see what we get. My guess is 82-84 wins and a seat in front of the tv for the playoffs...

If Buck didn't want him then we wouldn't have pursued him at any price. The Orioles did pursue him and made him an offer from all accounts. They just didn't offer him as much money as the Astros were willing to pay.

Thing is we are going to start Pearce and De Aza at the corners based on their performance last year. The only reason not to would be if we acquired a player who is a sure thing to hit better than them. Who is that and how much would he cost? The better solution given what was available, is to acquire some insurance I case Pearce and/or De Aza struggle against same handed pitching. That was Rasmus role, and that is what we are looking for now.

Thing is we are going to start Pearce and De Aza at the corners based on their performance last year. The only reason not to would be if we acquired a player who is a sure thing to hit better than them. Who is that and how much would he cost? The better solution given what was available, is to acquire some insurance I case Pearce and/or De Aza struggle against same handed pitching. That was Rasmus role, and that is what we are looking for now.

I don't follow. Are you saying that Rasmus' role (had we signed him) was to be insurance for Pearce and De Aza?

I don't follow. Are you saying that Rasmus' role (had we signed him) was to be insurance for Pearce and De Aza?
Yes, there is no way they would have started him over Pearce or De Aza. He would have been a role player filling in at the corners or DH. If they would have struggled and he hit well he might have replaced one eventually.

At this point you just stand pat. There is no Free Agent out there that helps us. And please, do not make another panic signing like Ubaldo to try to save face. Lets just take what we have into 2015, drop Duquette off on Toronto and move on.

Other than Shields, I don't think there's anyone left out there that would classify as a panic signing. I can't imagine anyone else would cost much to sign.

Archived