Is DD Tanking the O's Offseason?

FanSince88

Is DD Deliberately Tanking the O's offseason so they move him to Toronto?  

67 members have voted

1. 1. Is DD Deliberately Tanking the O's offseason so they move him to Toronto?

• Yes
    • No

This poll is closed to new votes

I interpreted the poll question to mean "Is he tanking in order to force Angelos' hand." I think the answer to that question is no; my opinion of Duquette has fallen quite a bit in the last two months, but not to that point.

If the question had been "Is Dan Duquette not giving 100 percent of his creative effort to building the Orioles this offseason, because he has one foot out the door", I would have answered yes.

• Replies 39
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I voted no, without a doubt in my mind. I truly believe that DD has much more integrity and professionalism than that. But I am not, and never have been a DD fan. I have said all along that this guy has rode the moves of AM and the brilliant managing of Buck Showalter to the top. And I know that is not the popular sentiment on this board but I will not retreat from that position. If we get a top prospect back in compensation from Toronto then this will be far and away the best trade DD has been involved in as an Oriole. My only hope now is that this does not collapse and we get stuck holding the bag.

I interpreted the poll question to mean "Is he tanking in order to force Angelos' hand." I think the answer to that question is no; my opinion of Duquette has fallen quite a bit in the last two months, but not to that point.

If the question had been "Is Dan Duquette not giving 100 percent of his creative effort to building the Orioles this offseason, because he has one foot out the door", I would have answered yes.

Your interpretation "Is he tanking in order to force Angelos' hand." is what I intended with the question. I don't think he is doing this but it is also hard to prove one way or the other. Especially since the last few DD offseasons haven't been particularly active (at least until the eleventh hour).

There's always the possibility, however remote, that DD and Angelos are at such loggerheads and DD wants out so badly that he is phoning it in to show Angelos just what kind of GM he's going to have if he insists on DD staying for the remainder of his contract. I would hope this isn't the case but I'm sure there have been cases in the past of a player or sports executive deliberately dogging it if they're contractually stuck somewhere they don't want to be.

If he wants out of Baltimore and wants the Toronto job bad enough -- and has the lack of scruples -- any tactic might be on the table. Sure, professional reputation matters, but if it gets him his dream job in Toronto, then it might be considered an acceptable sacrifice. Again, I don't think this is likely but it wouldn't be out of the realm of possibility.

For those who I've offended, I have heard this talk from others and asking the poll question doesn't mean I necessarily believe the answer is yes. The longer this soap opera drags out (and it seems like it is going to continue for a few more weeks at least), the more people are going to speculate on this. We might as well address it now. For the record, I have not voted. The overwhelming majority seem to think no, which is what I expected. I wonder what people will think if this drama plays out for a few more months or -- even worse -- doesn't even get resolved until next offseason or beyond (which could certainly happen).

Archived