Machado not in top ten per mlb network

BohKnowsBmore

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You could not have predicted the devastating knee injuries. So on this one bud, you are and have been wrong.

I'll play (all in good fun). There isn't a single evaluator in the game who thought he could produce that type of defensive season at the MLB level. And without the glove no one is talking about Machado as potentially one of the best in the game at this point. So....

I'll play (all in good fun). There isn't a single evaluator in the game who thought he could produce that type of defensive season at the MLB level. And without the glove no one is talking about Machado as potentially one of the best in the game at this point. So....

You are very correct. Good form.

Careful -- keep down this path and you might have to call Bryce Harper a talented player at some point. :eek::)

I've been known to marvel at his feats of Festivus strength. I also think that Manny's knees could be an issue. And that he could lose all that defensive WAR. And they have both shown their punk side.

You are very correct. Good form.

All in good fun, sir. There's a pretty smart guy with the Cubs that picked Machado over Trout and Harper, long term, circa 2012. Everyone wants Manny healthy and on the field. Preferably walking a little bit more. ;)

All in good fun, sir. There's a pretty smart guy with the Cubs that picked Machado over Trout and Harper, long term, circa 2012. Everyone wants Manny healthy and on the field. Preferably walking a little bit more. ;)

You got the memo right? Walks were so 2011. Big strike zone favors hackers.

Yeah. I would like to ask Stotle to show us his list of 3B whose overall production he'd like to have for the next 3 years, regardless of contract, before Machado.

Stotle is one smart dude. However, he's kind of like the devils anti-Oriole advocate around here. He's right more often than not and more often than me. I can't resist this one though. He once said that if Machado had been available in the 2011 draft (Machado was drafted in 2010) that he would have drafted 17 players before Machado in that draft. Nobody's perfect.

Just double-checking -- are you sure I didn't rank him 17th including BOTH 2010 and 2011? That would make much more sense to me. I don't have a hard ranking for 2010 in front of me but looking at the report I wrote on Machado prior to the draft it seems like he would fit well ahead of 17 on my straight 2011 pref list (I can't imagine I had him below Kolton Wong -- that doesn't make sense):

1. Bryce Harper

2. Anthony Rendon

3. Gerrit Cole

4. Bubba Starling

5. Sonny Gray

6. Jameson Tailon

7. Karsten Whitson

8. Matt Harvey

9. Chris Sale

10. Dylan Bundy

11. Blake Swihart

12. Taylor Jungmann

13. Daniel Norris

14. Francisco Lindor

15. Archie Bradley

16. Drew Pomeranz

17. Christian Colon

18. Manny Machado

That makes much more sense to me. Not that it makes me right or even close with respect to pegged Machado. Based on draft-day grades I 100% believe I could have made the above statement in 2011.

Had Machado at draft:

50 hit

55 power

60 arm [that was light; he didn't air it out as an amateur in my looks]

50 glove (3B) [hahaha, that's embarrassingly light]

45 run

55 feel [this was light too]

Would translate to

OFP: 65; first division major-leaguer/all-star

Realistic Outcome: 50; everyday major-leaguer

Risk: High; body concerns, other stuff not appropriate to print (most of which turned out to be non-issue)

Him slotting behind Colon makes sense to me sense I had Colon as a low risk 55/50 that could reach the majors quickly (yeah, didn't get that one either, huh?). I would be surprised if I had Machado behind Kolton Wong as a 2B only, hit tool only, bat.

I learned from Machado. More embarrassing, to me, is that I didn't go with my gut on Jose Fernandez. After watching him his senior year I told an evaluator at the game that I thought Fernandez could get out major leaguers right now. Then I let the body cloud my judgement and he ended up around 15 on my pref list. He tightened up the physique in a manner of months and was carving at the big league level in short order.

Just double-checking -- are you sure I didn't rank him 17th including BOTH 2010 and 2011? That would make much more sense to me. I don't have a hard ranking for 2010 in front of me but looking at the report I wrote on Machado prior to the draft it seems like he would fit well ahead of 17 on my straight 2011 pref list (I can't imagine I had him below Kolton Wong -- that doesn't make sense):

1. Bryce Harper

2. Anthony Rendon

3. Gerrit Cole

4. Bubba Starling

5. Sonny Gray

6. Jameson Tailon

7. Karsten Whitson

8. Matt Harvey

9. Chris Sale

10. Dylan Bundy

11. Blake Swihart

12. Taylor Jungmann

13. Daniel Norris

14. Francisco Lindor

15. Archie Bradley

16. Drew Pomeranz

17. Christian Colon

18. Manny Machado

That makes much more sense to me. Not that it makes me right or even close with respect to pegged Machado. Based on draft-day grades I 100% believe I could have made the above statement in 2011.

Had Machado at draft:

50 hit

55 power

60 arm [that was light; he didn't air it out as an amateur in my looks]

50 glove (3B) [hahaha, that's embarrassingly light]

45 run

55 feel [this was light too]

Would translate to

OFP: 65; first division major-leaguer/all-star

Realistic Outcome: 50; everyday major-leaguer

Risk: High; body concerns, other stuff not appropriate to print (most of which turned out to be non-issue)

Totally forgot about Bubba Starling. I would have loved that pick at the time. It appears he's 22 years old now and not making top 100 lists anymore?

You got the memo right? Walks were so 2011. Big strike zone favors hackers.

Walks will always, ALWAYS, favor guys who can hit for power. Regardless of strike zone.

In any event, we'd all prefer he make contact with his pitches, and not pitches he happens to get his barrel on while being aggressive.

Totally forgot about Bubba Starling. I would have loved that pick at the time. It appears he's 22 years old now and not making top 100 lists anymore?

Yup. He actually had an okay year. Book's not closed. But he's not a top 100 guy anymore. Still has the glove and athleticism to make the bigs and might be one of those guys who goes up and down and then rips off a 35 home run season at age 28. We'll see what it looks like next year.

Kaleb Cowert another good athlete who has flopped with the bat. I want to see him on the mound for the Angels a la Givens.

I remember it being Manny would have been the 11th player.

I also remember you liking Starling more then Bundy which isn't a surprise looking at the above.

2011 pref list was Rendon, Cole, Starling, Gray, Bundy. Wasn't a huge difference, but I preferred Starling.

Yup. He actually had an okay year. Book's not closed. But he's not a top 100 guy anymore. Still has the glove and athleticism to make the bigs and might be one of those guys who goes up and down and then rips off a 35 home run season at age 28. We'll see what it looks like next year.

Kaleb Cowert another good athlete who has flopped with the bat. I want to see him on the mound for the Angels a la Givens.

Wonder if Starling will end up as a rule 5 guy, maybe he's a late bloomer. I wonder how bullish the Royals still are about him.

Archived