Machado not in top ten per mlb network

BohKnowsBmore

Yes, and these rankings are for this year. Bogaerts may have a great career but if you think there is a decent chance that he is better than Manny this year based on what each of them have done in the majors in their last 162 games, then I have a pink Red Sox hat to sell you.

Why would we base their 2015 performance solely on their limited major league production? Glad the Angels didn't do that before 2012 or Trout certainly wouldn't have gotten the starting gig in LA.

That type of reasoning is perfect, I grant you, for someone who wants to make the case that the guy with better production over a small sample size is hands down the better player.

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I don't think that's his point. He's saying to be considered one of the best in MLB, you have to actually do something at that level. That's like saying Bundy is a top starter in MLB right now.

Who said Bogaerts was the best third baseman in baseball? Aren't we comparing two young players, neither of whom have had much major league exposure at all, and one who has had surgery on both knees and missed most of last year?

My point is that you said manny's omission is fine because he's more upside at this point. Elevating Bogaerts is talking out of both sides of your mouth. That's not even considering that manny has accumulated 10 war prior to his age 23 season, thus giving some serious on field production to pair with his massive upside (you know, that vaulted him to top5 prospect status in all of baseball).

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nope. My response was to the claim that a poster said there are only two third baseman better than Machado. Go back and re-read -- I think you misunderstood.

Who said Bogaerts was the best third baseman in baseball? Aren't we comparing two young players, neither of whom have had much major league exposure at all, and one who has had surgery on both knees and missed most of last year?

And where did I imply anyone said "the best 3b in baseball"? You threw Bogaerts name into the mix as a top 10 candidate. Not just as a comparison to Machado. Atleast that's the way I took it.

And where did I imply anyone said "the best 3b in baseball"? You threw Bogaerts name into the mix as a top 10 candidate. Not just as a comparison to Machado. Atleast that's the way I took it.

You are right, I misread your post to stay Bundy was "the" top starter, not "a" top starter. My fault.

Bogaerts was mentioned as a direct comparison to Manny if you go back and look at where I mentioned him first and the post to which I was responding.

Nope. My response was to the claim that a poster said there are only two third baseman better than Machado. Go back and re-read -- I think you misunderstood.

I never once said there were only two 3b better than Machado. I said there was only two that I would consider over Machado. I was basing that on several personal factors. Please don't twist my words to make your arguement.

Why would we base their 2015 performance solely on their limited major league production? Glad the Angels didn't do that before 2012 or Trout certainly wouldn't have gotten the starting gig in LA.

That type of reasoning is perfect, I grant you, for someone who wants to make the case that the guy with better production over a small sample size is hands down the better player.

The Mike Trout that was 2 years younger and had one-fifth the MLB plate appearances that Bogaerts had and yet still had a higher rWAR going into that season?

I think completely disregarding an entire season is a sound way to judge how you think someone will do the following season. That's why I think Chris Davis is going to hit 50 home runs this year.

I guess Manny's MVP caliber season doesn't count.

For 2015, I'd probably take Rendon over Machado. For career value, I'd probably go with Machado. But it's close.

I'm not in the business of predicting the future of guys just getting their feet wet in the majors, but I'd rather have Machado than Bogaerts.

Yeah. I would like to ask Stotle to show us his list of 3B whose overall production he'd like to have for the next 3 years, regardless of contract, before Machado.

Stotle is one smart dude. However, he's kind of like the devils anti-Oriole advocate around here. He's right more often than not and more often than me. I can't resist this one though. He once said that if Machado had been available in the 2011 draft (Machado was drafted in 2010) that he would have drafted 17 players before Machado in that draft. Nobody's perfect.

Yes. I believe this is one of those cases where trying to be hyper-objective forces a slip up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

For 2015, I'd probably take Rendon over Machado. For career value, I'd probably go with Machado. But it's close.

I'm not in the business of predicting the future of guys just getting their feet wet in the majors, but I'd rather have Machado than Bogaerts.

They're both very talented with huge futures. i think Manny's offense could develop enough to take him into a different level, though Rendon likely ends up the better hitter.

I don't see how Bogaerts compares to either. The shine has to have come off Xander a bit, regardless of where you originally stood on him.

Archived