If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I think we should really drop the notion that Norris will net us a comp pick.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If he has another year like he did last year, I think theres a good chance he will. He's making 9 mil now so its safe to assume he'll want a deal in the 40-50 million dollar range, which falls into the range where you offer a compensation pick.

If he has another year like he did last year, I think theres a good chance he will. He's making 9 mil now so its safe to assume he'll want a deal in the 40-50 million dollar range, which falls into the range where you offer a compensation pick.

We have also been through the fact that Norris isn't even in the top 10 of available pitchers next off season. There may not be a market for him if he has a QO. I had been in the "comp pick camp" but now I am firmly out of it. Add to the fact that we can't have six starters all year long, it makes sense to trade someone (ie Norris) mid-summer, especially if someone at Norfolk has stepped up their game to be the sixth starter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I think the thing that complicated the thought process was Buck's comments on how if Gausman was one of the best in camp, he'd be on the roster. That created some questions as it relates to Ubaldo.

Point of the thread is - for anyone holding out "hope" that Ubaldo would be banished from the rotation, it's time to start accepting that he's at least going to get a pretty extended shot to start the year. But yes, it should have gone without saying from the start probably.

I dont think Gasman has had a great ST, not that ST is the only barometer.

I think the thing that complicated the thought process was Buck's comments on how if Gausman was one of the best in camp, he'd be on the roster. That created some questions as it relates to Ubaldo.

Point of the thread is - for anyone holding out "hope" that Ubaldo would be banished from the rotation, it's time to start accepting that he's at least going to get a pretty extended shot to start the year. But yes, it should have gone without saying from the start probably.

It's not time yet. It will be time if he outpitches one of the other five guys as the end of ST arrives. Ublado has plenty of time to revert.

It's not time yet. It will be time if he outpitches one of the other five guys as the end of ST arrives. Ublado has plenty of time to revert.

He could have pitched poorly throughout and he would still have been a starter.

I would just like to take a moment and say how happy I am to be contemplating what to do with an extra starter! It's such a nice problem to have. We have 6 legit starting pitchers (7 if you count Matusz and his great spring) at this point.

I would just like to take a moment and say how happy I am to be contemplating what to do with an extra starter! It's such a nice problem to have. We have 6 legit starting pitchers (7 if you count Matusz and his great spring) at this point.

You gotta expect there will be a few missed starts due to injury too so having a Gonzalez, Norris or Gausman to call upon is a luxury a lot of teams don't have. Its not a bad situation to be in.

If Norris is struggling by summer like Ubaldo was, thats a different story. Kicking a veteran out of the rotation because of a lackluster spring training is ridiculous.
And kicking a veteran out of the rotation only because he makes less money is even more ridiculous.

It will be up to Buck (and perhaps also DD) to decide who gets to be in the rotation for now. Perhaps Bud's stiff back (is it still stiff?) may come to light and he'll go on the DL. Though he can't stay on the DL forever.

Archived