If, IF, if Ubaldo continues to dominate?

Bahama O's Fan

August is different than April. In April, guys like Ubaldo and Norris get a shot regardless of their performance in meaningless spring games. I don't think salary per se will dictate the decision, but salary is reflective of past success and experience. Barring injury I would be shocked if either of those two are not in the rotation in April.
Salary is not always reflective of past success and experience. Check out Gonzalez, Miguel.

Another source, don't know how accurate: Sports Weekly had their fantasy baseball issue, which I just received today, with stats of pitchers and hitters for fantasy purposes. Their projection for the Os rotation was: Tillman, Chen, Norris, Gausman, Gonzo. Closer, Zach Britton. No Ubaldo at all. I gather that they projected him into the bullpen as long relief. I strongly suspect that this issue was published before Ubaldo's latest effort. Still, they projected him as not getting a shot at the rotation at all.

Needless to say, I believe that Ubaldo will prove them wrong and will have regained a spot in the rotation. :)

But then some other deserving soul gets shoved out. :(

Ahhh, baseball is such a great soap opera. Better than any reality show. :D

• Replies 440
  • Created
  • Last Reply
The permutations certainly are a lot more interesting come next year. The Ubaldo controversy becomes a lot less controversial this time next year, especially after he rebounds this season.
Yes. And he'll still be around and, who knows, may be the ace. But Chen and Norris have a good chance of walking. So we'll need a couple of replacements. And that will provide a bunch of interesting controversy. ;)

Salary is not always reflective of past success and experience. Check out Gonzalez,

Ahhh, baseball is such a great soap opera. Better than any reality show. :D

Please tell me you understand the difference between arbitration and free agent salaries? We all know that arbitration players do not get paid there true value, most of the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Please tell me you understand the difference between arbitration and free agent salaries? We all know that arbitration players do not get paid there true value, most of the time.

I do understand. And I stand by my statement. Salary is not always an indicator of ability and past success.

We have also been through the fact that Norris isn't even in the top 10 of available pitchers next off season. There may not be a market for him if he has a QO. I had been in the "comp pick camp" but now I am firmly out of it. Add to the fact that we can't have six starters all year long, it makes sense to trade someone (ie Norris) mid-summer, especially if someone at Norfolk has stepped up their game to be the sixth starter.

Here's a question for you... Does the fact that there will be so many pitchers available potentially make him more QO l-able? I know it's counter intuitive, but does that possibly raise the likelihood of a team signing a top FA pitcher and looking to double dip by signing Norris as it would only then be a second rounder lost. A team like Texas, for example.

Here's a question for you... Does the fact that there will be so many pitchers available potentially make him more QO l-able? I know it's counter intuitive, but does that possibly raise the likelihood of a team signing a top FA pitcher and looking to double dip by signing Norris as it would only then be a second rounder lost. A team like Texas, for example.

I understand your point. Don't think it happens though. Don't know how many teams could commit $30M+ a year to two starters for several years on the free agent market, that will actually be in the market next year. Minnesota and Dodgers are full.

And for Texas, remember that the top 10 picks are protected for terribleness, so Texas would lose their next two highest picks in this scenario.

And to me a good double dip player would be Chen. I am thinking he gets $12M or so. I'd rather take Chen at that price than Norris at what he gets.

Archived