2015 St. Louis Cardinals

OFFNY

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why do you keep putting threads in the Orioles section that belong in the MLB section?

Because, as you know, very few people look at the MLB section. I am not the only one to do this. I just found it to be amazing they are so dominant.

Big Trouble

Joe Strauss

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/joe-strauss/article_b4dd308d-583e-57e3-a6a2-a73aa8f677be.html

Cardinals confirmed the dismissal of scouting director Chris Correa shortly after the club had placed him on leave. The first shoe has dropped as a result of a lengthy federal probe into the Cardinals’ incursion into the Houston Astros database.

This was the Cardinals’ move. Less than three weeks after Correa hosted a Busch Stadium visit by several members of his first (and only) draft class, a club that promised action delivered on its pledge.

Correa, one of general manager John Mozeliak’s seven lieutenants profiled in the Cardinals media guide, is out seemingly only a nanosecond after speaking for the organization about its draft haul.

Mozeliak offered only brief comment before Thursday’s series opener against the San Diego Padres. Attorney James Martin confirmed the move but declined to give the team’s motivation.

We don’t have to guess about Correa’s. His attorney, Nicholas Williams, doused a burning house with more gasoline when he attempted to redirect scrutiny toward the Astros, suggesting that the supposedly aggrieved organization pirated information from the Cardinals. Implicit in his comments is that former Redbirds director of scouting and player development Jeff Luhnow used the Cardinals database as a blueprint after being named Astros general manager in December 2011.

Williams even borrowed from Cardinals chairman Bill DeWitt, Jr.’s recent description of “roguish behavior.” Except Williams pointed the finger at Houston, not Baseball Heaven. What began as cyber-espionage could easily escalate into a public food fight.

The Justice Department hasn’t even announced indictments yet and already the legal games have begun. Unfortunately, today’s face of the controversy is a 34-year-old guy who spent six years working his way up from entry-level analyst to a well-liked and well-respected front office executive.

Tight-lipped following Correa’s ouster, Mozeliak seemed to presage it last Thursday when he voiced concern to the Post-Dispatch that the front office “team we’ve assembled might be broken up.” Correa was placed on leave shortly afterward.

Luhnow hired Correa in 2009. With degrees in cognitive science and psychology, Correa was working on his doctorate at Michigan when lured here. He played a pivotal role in the organization’s development of psychological analysis of potential draftees. Correa took ownership. He attended scout school and frequently could be found during home games sitting beside Mozeliak right-hand man Mike Jorgensen in the scout seats. Part of the game’s new, more academic wave, Correa never claimed to be the smartest guy in the room, though he may have been. A Cardinals employee called his style “inclusive.” His goal was to learn by listening. By all accounts, he succeeded.

The stink of all this wafts far higher than DeWitt let on two weeks ago. There remains no evidence ownership or the senior vice-president knew of the breach before the FBI came knocking for some stadium computers. However, appearances are far worse when the club cites a scouting director rather than some anonymous nerdling.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
o

(MAY 25th)

Michael Joseph Wacha is one of the hottest starting pitchers in baseball.

In 9 starts so far this season, Wacha is 7-0 with an ERA of 1.87, and a WHIP of 1.040.

(JUNE 5th)

Wacha continues to roll.

Last night, he pitched 7 innings of 1-run ball for his 8th W of the season.

He walked 0, struck out 5, and had an excellent strikes-to-balls ratio: O107 Pitches (76 Strikes, 31 Balls.)

His previous start against the Dodgers was interrupted by a rain-delay, and he had to warm up twice. Although he threw 5 shutout innings of no-hit ball before giving up 4 runs in the 6th, his command was lacking, and he uncharacteristically had walked 3 batters and had thrown almost 90 pitches in those first 5 innings.

(AUGUST 6th)

Back-to-back shutout outings for Wacha (7 innings for each outing.)

He's now 13-4 with a 2.92 ERA, and a 1.081 WHIP.

He's had a few bumps in the road, but overall, this has been his best season as a Cardinal in his still very young career.

• 3 weeks later...
o

Wainwright had an E.R.A. of 1.44 and a W.H.I.P. of 1.040 for the season before going down.

Cardinals' Adam Wainwright (Achilles) on DL, Likely Out for Season

(By R.J. White)

http://fantasynews.cbssports.com/fantasybaseball/update/25163749/report-cardinals-adam-wainwright-achilles-out-for-season

(4 Months Later)

The Adam Wainwrightless Cardinals have continued on without their ace starting pitcher like a battering ram all season long.

At 79-45 overall, they have the best record in the major leagues.

o

THE CARDINALS' STARTING FIVE

Jamie Garcia

6-4 ....O.. 1.77 ERA ...... 0.923 WHIP

Michael Joseph Wacha

15-4 ...... 2.69 ERA ...... 1.125 WHIP

Michael Lance Lynn

11-8 ...... 2.80 ERA ...... 1.327 WHIP

Carlos Martinez

13-6 ...... 2.91ERA ......l 1.267 WHIP

John Derran Lackey

11-8 ...... 2.92 ERA ...... 1.199 WHIP

• 3 weeks later...
The Cards just closed out a difficult West Coast trip with a 7-3 record. The road trip started out with a couple ugly losses in San Diego, then won 7 of 8. If not for a couple of uncharacteristically sloppy defensive games, they easily could have won 9 of 10.

Are they going to exercise the option on Garcia?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Archived