Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Are we going to have this conversation after every tight loss? Listen I loved having Miller here and man it would be great to have him in our pen but they weren't going to give 9 million a year to a reliever. The FO has seen how quickly Johnson went from 50 save a year guy to decline. They saw how Balfour the guy they offered a deal to last year but failed his physical imploded in Tampa. I said in the Cruz thread but this really is the most inappropriate time to be ragging on the Orioles for not extending these guys. If Miller is still pitching at a high level in two or three years for the Yankees and Britton isn't closer, maybe I'll agree but giving Miller a big pay day would make it harder to extend key elements later. Sorry for sounding so harsh but I really think it's a bad time to second guess the deal. We should know by now how volatile relief pitching is. Just because Miller is on right now and even this year is no guarantee he will be the rest of his contract.

No, We will have this conversation two or three times and then we will just close the threads. Because that is the only difference he would have made. Two or three games. The "Orioles don't want to win" folks get to say which two or three games they were. Then we are done. HE was never ours. We only rented him. He would have gone back to Boston. But they resigned Koji instead.

Yes we should have this conversation. Hunter Salary + Matusz Salary + Webb Salary = Andrew Miller Salary. So 3 mediocre pitchers or one great one.

One great one for how long? That's the point. People are banking on him staying at career year numbers. But there is a reason they are called career years.

Does anyone have any confidence in Hunter and Matusz? I would like to have confidence that things are going to turn around. I just don't see it. Gausman may need to go down and get innings in as a starter

Hunter stinks right now, no question. That does not mean he will be terrible all year. He pitched very well last year after losing the closers role. Matusz needs to be used in the right spots which is hard to do with Garcia on the team and others struggling. I do hope they are agressive in exploring any internal options.

Yes we should have this conversation. Hunter Salary + Matusz Salary + Webb Salary = Andrew Miller Salary. So 3 mediocre pitchers or one great one.

What about the rest of the money on the deal? Miller did not sign for one season. The world does not work that way.

No, We will have this conversation two or three times and then we will just close the threads. Because that is the only difference he would have made. Two or three games. The "Orioles don't want to win" folks get to say which two or three games they were. Then we are done. HE was never ours. We only rented him. He would have gone back to Boston. But they resigned Koji instead.

I was being rhetorical there. I mean in an ideal world, sure you can extend Miller but it's a real world with real players and real money and real budget constraints. I should also add that we would have likely had to pay more than the Yankees did to retain him. I'm also not giving up on the pen yet. Plenty of time to still turn it around. We were hovering around 500 until June last year. No reason that this team can't improve. Not saying we'll win by a dozen games again mind you but there's still a lot of baseball ot be played.

One great one for how long? That's the point. People are banking on him staying at career year numbers. But there is a reason they are called career years.

Exactly. If you want to see why the FO is reluctant to give tons of years and tons of money to relievers. Look at Jim Johnson and Grant Balfour.

What about the rest of the money on the deal? Miller did not sign for one season. The world does not work that way.

I forgot, how many players do we have under contract next year? Not in Arb or pre Arb? Jones, Hardy. So by not signing Miller. Now we could be forced to pay someone like O'day 3/24. That would be a hometown discount for us. So there is no way we can pay 10 million for a great reliever. But we'll pay 8 for a gimmick reliever? Not hard to put things together. I argued this point all offseason. But I'm just a fan on a fan site.

I forgot, how many players do we have under contract next year? Not in Arb or pre Arb? Jones, Hardy. So by not signing Miller. Now we could be forced to pay someone like O'day 3/24. That would be a hometown discount for us. So there is no way we can pay 10 million for a great reliever. But we'll pay 8 for a gimmick reliever? Not hard to put things together. I argued this point all offseason. But I'm just a fan on a fan site.

No way in the world the Orioles pay O'Day that much. We might see a lot of young arms in the pen next year. DD flat out said a market like this can't afford to sign players like Miller.

No way in the world the Orioles pay O'Day that much. We might see a lot of young arms in the pen next year. DD flat out said a market like this can't afford to sign players like Miller.

I really wish they would have moved some more pieces in the bullpen so they could at least have another young arm getting their rookie year in now. Not liking the idea of several young arms in the bullpen next year all at once.

I really wish they would have moved some more pieces in the bullpen so they could at least have another young arm getting their rookie year in now. Not liking the idea of several young arms in the bullpen next year all at once.

I think we will see some young arms up here at some point. Keep in mind Bundy has to be on the team next year.

He DID say that. But if we continue to trot out a staff that can't go 6 innings an Andrew Miller type is a necessity. Not a luxury. So much so that we are trying to fit our top prospect in that role. Next year we have a ton of FA's. If we end up a reliever short this year, I don't think DD and Buck are going to be so ready to let O'day walk. Sometimes you have to pay premium money for premium talent. Miller is/was/is going to be worth every penny.

The O's made 37 million last year in profit. The honest answer in no, they don't go all out. They should have signed him but they didn't because they didn't want to spend the money. As I've already said, decrease the profit by 10-12 million, you still make money and you compete. Miller would have already made this team 2 games better and would have taken them into extra's tonight.

The O's made 37 million last year in profit. The honest answer in no, they don't go all out. They should have signed him but they didn't because they didn't want to spend the money. As I've already said, decrease the profit by 10-12 million, you still make money and you compete. Miller would have already made this team 2 games better and would have taken them into extra's tonight.

How are you coming up with $37M?

Can we leave out some of the hyperbole about Miller. There is no guarantee that he helps two games and puts this in extra innings.

The Orioles never even negotiated for Miller. They asked what he was after. Then they wished him good luck.

Archived