Regretting Not Signing Andrew Miller?

Rene88

• Replies 688
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Once the Orioles become a team beloved by the vast majority of the USA and MASN is found on channel guides across the country, then they might have it where they can blow $10 million on a 60 IP reliever for 4+ years. Until then, I trust the FO to spend how they're spending. Just because some butt hurt posters online think they could spend whatever, doesn't make it so.

This theard was BOUND to happen at some point the day Miller signed the skanks contract.

Worst part unless he ends up on the DL this thread is most likely not the last time we'll see it. :(

You mean like he's ended up on the DL almost every year, leading to an average of 44 innings a season as a reliever? Everyone seems to assume that Miller is good for his September usage pattern for all of the next 3-4 years, like a 80+ inning fireman.

I don't feel that I know whether Angelos can increase payroll at any point. What I do know is that we have the 11th - 13th highest payroll now (depending on which source you believe), and that the payroll has increased pretty significantly for three years in a row ($78 mm/$101 mm/$109 mm/$114 mm). If you think we could spend more, you can certainly make that case. My view is that our spending is pretty well in line with similarly situated teams.

I completely agree. Just making the point that an Andrew Miller signing would not have crippled the franchise as some people are making. Would it be unwise for a reliever? Probably, but not crippling.

Once the Orioles become a team beloved by the vast majority of the USA and MASN is found on channel guides across the country, then they might have it where they can blow $10 million on a 60 IP reliever for 4+ years. Until then, I trust the FO to spend how they're spending. Just because some butt hurt posters online think they could spend whatever, doesn't make it so.

Right because our billionaire owner loves to pinch pennies instead.

I completely agree. Just making the point that an Andrew Miller signing would not have crippled the franchise as some people are making. Would it be unwise for a reliever? Probably, but not crippling.

I don't think anything is crippling. But if you have $40+ million tied up in a middle reliever, you probably aren't in the game when it comes time to extend or resign one of your other more important players. We are not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

I'm not entirely convinced that signings should be entirely based on whether or not this is one that cripples the team if it doesn't work out. Something more like "how would this contribute to our overall risk level?"

Seems like the Orioles were in a no win situation this offseason when it came to spending. People would view signing all of our arbitration guys and having the highest payroll we've ever fielded as "Refusing to spend money", and if we non tendered the arbitration guys to sign new free agents, people would complain we refused to spend money on our own guys.

Right because our billionaire owner loves to pinch pennies instead.

Yes, we would all be much happier (or at least have one less thing to complain about) if Angelos decided to just say "screw the bottom line, we're going for it." Just as each of us would be happier with lottery winnings, and children who grow up to be Cal Ripken, and mansions full of wife-approved supermodels.

I don't think anything is crippling. But if you have $40+ million tied up in a middle reliever, you probably aren't in the game when it comes time to extend or resign one of your other more important players. We are not the Yankees or the Red Sox.

Well it isn't $40 million per year, just total. For the Yankees, they had to replace Rivera, the price made sense.

Who exactly are we extending? I hope (it should have happened already) it is Tillman. But MW, Chen, Crush nor Britton are not extending, so who exactly is extending? Where is the $ going?

Off-topic: HUGE Led Zeppelin fan. Do you like Get the Led Out? One of my favorite cover bands...

Seems like the Orioles were in a no win situation this offseason when it came to spending. People would view signing all of our arbitration guys and having the highest payroll we've ever fielded as "Refusing to spend money", and if we non tendered the arbitration guys to sign new free agents, people would complain we refused to spend money on our own guys.

Besides logic and common sense is there any reason they couldn't have just signed all of the players?

Yes, we would all be much happier (or at least have one less thing to complain about) if Angelos decided to just

say "screw the bottom line, we're going for it." Just as each of us would be happier with lottery winnings, and children who grow up to be Cal Ripken, and mansions full of wife-approved supermodels.

Doesnt always work i know by watching the Redskins these past 20 years but once just once id like PA to act like DS.

Archived