What to do about the bullpen?

Crazysilver03

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Good move getting Hunter in there today. Like it or not, we absolutely have to have Hunter pitching well. I like Hunters stuff, he just has to get a hold of his command. Gaussman also pitched well today. Those two are key to get the pressure off Brach, O'day and even Matusz.

Great win today, but was disappointed to not see Garcia get an inning late. I know we want to keep him out of high leverage situations right now, but with the rest of the bullpen a bit stretched, why not give him a look this afternoon? He gets himself in trouble, you can bring someone else in to ensure we preserve the lead. Going to have to get him in there and use him - he hasn't looked bad when he has pitched this year.

Give Garcia back to the Red Sox. How many other contending teams keep Rule 5 picks on their roster that they are too afraid to play? None.

Buck has said he isn't afraid to play him but I wonder. I was thinking maybe they wanted to use the huge lead to get Hunter and Gausman some work.

A contending team should not be keeping a Rule V pick at all IMO.

I feel like we are one of the few teams that does this. Contending teams LOSE those guys to the draft because there is no place for them on their Roster.

A contending team should be keeping a Rule V pick at all IMO.

I feel like we are one of the few teams that does this. Contending teams LOSE those guys to the draft because there is no place for them on their Roster.

He is a special arm that came to us under unique circumstances. I do understand why we could not keep Verrett though.

We drafted poorly in our top pitching draft slots so we do need to fill in the system unlike teams that always are bad at the MLB level or those who draft better. We do not have the option of trading for prospects. We are a contender. Every year. We take no years off.

Good move getting Hunter in there today. Like it or not, we absolutely have to have Hunter pitching well. I like Hunters stuff, he just has to get a hold of his command. Gaussman also pitched well today. Those two are key to get the pressure off Brach, O'day and even Matusz.

I think that was Buck's thinking with the bullpen use today. He wanted work for those guys in "mop up" precisely because they are key pieces in the long run. He is trusting Garcia by basically saying (through his use bullpen use today) that he is going to use him tomorrow in a critical spot if one arises.

He is a special arm that came to us under unique circumstances. I do understand why we could not keep Verrett though.

I question how special a one pitch pitcher (slider is a work in progress) coming off a 3.70 ERA in a year of A ball can actually be. He also had a walk rate just under 4 per 9 innings. Supposedly he throws high 90's heat, but what all we've seen is 92 to 94. I don't see what's so impressive about a guy who has a decent fastball, but has no other plus offerings and shaky command.

I just feel the roster spot can better be used by someone that can help the team now.

I question how special a one pitch pitcher (slider is a work in progress) coming off a 3.70 ERA in a year of A ball can actually be. He also had a walk rate just under 4 per 9 innings. Supposedly he throws high 90's heat, but what all we've seen is 92 to 94. I don't see what's so impressive about a guy who has a decent fastball, but has no other plus offerings and shaky command.

I just feel the roster spot can better be used by someone that can help the team now.

I guess we will see. I bet the Yankees would claim him.

His average 4 seam velocity is 94.39, sinker 93.88.

If the pitchers produce in the roles they've had previous success in then keeping Garcia is a given. Gausman and Hunter needed confidence today. When we blow them out again tomorrow, Garcia can get his.

Was glad to see Hunter and Gausman gain some confidence today. I'm thinking they're both going to be okay in the long run, just gotta get over those early season struggles a little bit. I believe the 'pen has started slow the past couple years as well.

Archived