Kiley McDaniel on Jason Garcia

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Going back to the Toronto game when everyone wanted to have him skewered, the first batter he faced was Pillar, who quickly grounded out after Garcia hit the spot with all three pitches he threw. He then hit Goins on the 2nd pitch after trying both times to come inside with the slider and missing badly. He retired Reyes to end the inning on a 2-0 pitch on a ground ball to SS.

So, far from completely overmatched as one poster wrote.

In the 7th he was far, far worse because you know, our starters have fared so much better. Guys with much more experience than Garcia but who have been getting hit just as hard if not harder. Back to the game, he gives up what should be a single to Donaldson to start off the inning but because of defensive alignment it turns into a 2B. If you go back and look at the play the ball was hit to the 5-6 hole, but because our OF is pinched so far into the gaps Delmon had no shot to keep him at 1B. And please don't put it on Young, this alignment has been used going back to when Markakis played RF to make up for the fact he couldn't run. Someone will have to explain why they still employ this so often.

It didn't matter after what Garcia did with Bautista. The first pitch was a strike on the inner half though. Now again, why throw a first pitch strike if your goal is to throw at someone? Because his next pitch is the one that goes behind Bautista. This guy is one of the most athletically gifted stupid people I've ever seen. He has no idea that Garcia was so far off from Joseph's target ( he had set up outside, or what looked like the middle to me ) that he could NOT have been throwing at him with intent.

This kid has good stuff but is erratic. Two pitches later he hit one out. So what? Did anyone notice he busted the bat of a pretty good HR hitter right after that?

That's right, Encarnacion, who he made look foolish on two other pitches before doing so on a weak liner to Machado. Delmon made a play on Navarro, but the pitch before Garcia got him to pop up into no mans land between Delmon and Manny in foul territory. So, that easily could have been an out if not for positioning. Martin flew out to Jones to end it.

Watching the game again and looking at the lines of the pitchers I'm in disbelief at some of the things that are said by supposedly knowledgeable posters. Matusz and Norris both gave up HRs, but the two of them combined to allow 13 hits and issue four free bases in under 6 IP.

Garcia might take a little effort, young guys often do, but Norris and Matusz are taking the roster spots. Uh oh, shocking.

I'm still okay with the Garcia experiment, but I won't be surprised if they pull the plug on it, for his sake as well as the Orioles. He's got talent, but this is a really tough way to develop his skills.

I'd love to see Steve Johnson back up here soon.

I'm still okay with the Garcia experiment, but I won't be surprised if they pull the plug on it, for his sake as well as the Orioles. He's got talent, but this is a really tough way to develop his skills.

Agreed with everything in this post.

This is the camp I'm in. I'd prefer to have Steve Johnson up here. But I'm OK if we want to give Garcia one more shot. But he doesn't look ready to me. The numbers seem to reflect that (small sample size or not).

This is the camp I'm in. I'd prefer to have Steve Johnson up here. But I'm OK if we want to give Garcia one more shot. But he doesn't look ready to me. The numbers seem to reflect that (small sample size or not).

Garcia has better raw stuff than Steve Johnson and probably projects better as a ML pitcher. That said, not sure he's worth keeping around.

Garcia has better raw stuff than Steve Johnson and probably projects better as a ML pitcher. That said, not sure he's worth keeping around.

I understand Garcia projects better. But Steve Johnson can play in the majors now. Garcia is at least 2 years away IMO from being a ML pitcher. We can't afford lock up a whole roster spot on someone who clearly isn't even remotely MLB ready. When we send him back, he's probably AA bound... if not High-A.

Archived