Kiley McDaniel on Jason Garcia

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply
So why is Bud Norris still on the club? Because he's pitching worse than Garcia right now.

So because one of our vet's sucks right now, we should keep a guy with a completely unproven track record who looks completely overmatched? How does that make sense?

We have a ton of other options at AAA for the bullpen who could replace Garcia in a heartbeat. Eddie Gamboa, Wright, Wilson, Macfarland all come to mind.

Our options to replace Norris are Gausman and maybe one of the above two, but the waters become more murky if that happens. Replacing Garcia is a no brainer though, he was a longshot when we took him and looks like even more of a longshot now.

I am all for it. Though I bet his ST appearances the scared some posters.

Just wondering why he is still on the 40-man, but I predict they will make that evaluation for themselves here soon.

I wouldn't be shocked to see Givens at some point. Again. just imagine if he were drafted as a pitcher like everyone but Joe Jordan had him as...guy could have been helping us by now.

Why am I the only person who mentions Oliver Drake as a replacement?

1. He's on the 40 man roster

2. 6 IP, 2 hits, 2 walks, 12 strikeouts at Norfolk

I like his statistics, actually for the last couple of years I have liked him from a statistical standpoint. The issue with him I believe is that his stuff isn't as dominant as his K's would make you think. You have milbtv, how does he look?

Impressed by what I saw twice. The reall question regarding Drake, in addition to whether his stuff plays at the ML level, is how often he an pitch. Right now, he's been getting 2 days of rest after every outing. He did have major shoulder surgery a few years ago and I just wonder if he can hold up to working on multiple days or not and still be effective. I saw a 92-93 mph fastball that was kept down that played hand in hand with his splitter that he could either throw for a strike or as a chase pitch for strikeouts. I don't know if Drake will be any good but at 28 years old, now is the time to find out, IMO. I'm not sure if the Orioles are just waiting for Wesley Wright to come back before they let Garcia go. If so, Drake will probably have to wait for an injury or someone else getting traded/waived. I'd like to see Drake get the chance now. If he fails, we can send him back down when Wright comes back. If he looks good we can move Wright or Matusz.

Good point about Drake's schedule. C

Didn't he not pitch consecutive days a year or two ago.

Weams player that MLB is looking into possible suspensions regarding last night.

As much as I believe Garcia did it unintentionally, a multiple game suspension might help this team.

Why? The O's can't replace Garcia on the roster if he's suspended (unless it's a PED suspension). They'd just have to play a man short.

Why can't they replace him? I thought suspended players could be replaced in general? If not thanks for correcting me.

No, players who are suspended for an on-field incident cannot be replaced on the roster. Only those who are placed on the restricted list (i.e., players suspended for failing a drug test) can be replaced.

Here's an explanation (albeit a few years old):

The restricted list is distinct from the suspended list and the disqualified list. The suspended list is used for players in violation of the prohibited substance ban or as the result of an on-field incident, such as a fight with another player or an incident with an umpire. A player suspended for an on-field incident may not be replaced on the active roster, leaving his team a man short for the duration of the suspension. For example, Tampa Bay played two games in April with a 24-man roster after catcher Dioner Navarro was suspended for bumping an umpire. But Philadelphia was able to field a complete 25-man roster after reliever J.C. Romero tested positive for a banned substance and was suspended for the first 50 games of 2009. Incidentally, the Phillies placed Romero on the restricted list during his suspension.

http://www.baseballprospectus.com/article.php?articleid=10855

Archived