Kiley McDaniel on Jason Garcia

weams

• Replies 101
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What I find humorous about all this is all the talk of "Rule 5: yeah we are going to milk that for every drop" or something like that, it might turn out they get nobody.

What they got was free insurance. That is what they got. We may end up with no one. Or like with Almanzar, get him back some day.

There are 2 options the O's have.

1. Keep Garcia. Have no flexibility in the pen other than optioning Gausman.

2. DFA Garcia and be able to rotate through all the pitchers in the minors with options.

Is he really that special? It's not like the cupboard is bare in the system. Guys like Wright,Wilson,Drake,Givens,Kline all are just as talented, and have options. It's not like getting rid of him means that he goes back to the Red Sox. He still has to clear every team in baseball. Someone else would probably claim him so we still get to stick it to the Sox in the long run.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge, and I've seen none of Wright, Drake, Givens or Kline (I did see Wilson's spring start against the Yankees). But here's what I know -- we have an organization full of scouts and evaluators who are better able to make these judgments than you and I. And they aren't just looking at who is the best right this minute, but who will be best a year or two down the road. I trust them, and Dan and Buck, to give up on this experiment if at some point they conclude that Garcia is "not that special" and no more talented than the players you mentioned.

I haven't seen enough of him to judge, and I've seen none of Wright, Drake, Givens or Kline (I did see Wilson's spring start against the Yankees). But here's what I know -- we have an organization full of scouts and evaluators who are better able to make these judgments than you and I. And they aren't just looking at who is the best right this minute, but who will be best a year or two down the road. I trust them, and Dan and Buck, to give up on this experiment if at some point they conclude that Garcia is "not that special" and no more talented than the players you mentioned.

The problem is that some folks don't think that the Orioles have guys that are expert at this. Just like they thought that Peter Angelos was reading CT scans himself again. When a team stinks any armchair can direct it's progress. When it is consistently good, other teams attempt to poach the maestro.

The problem is that some folks don't think that the Orioles have guys that are expert at this. Just like they thought that Peter Angelos was reading CT scans himself again. When a team stinks any armchair can direct it's progress. When it is consistently good, other teams attempt to poach the maestro.

I think one could make an argument that the O's are overly enamored with the rule V draft.

I think one could make an argument that the O's are overly enamored with the rule V draft.

I think that is fair enough comment. However, it is worth noting that Ryan Flaherty has now been on the major league roster for 3+ years, even though he has three options. Apparently, the O's think he is pretty useful at the major league level. For that matter, TJ McFarland spent all of 2014 on our roster even though he had three options, and had a pretty solid year for us. I have little doubt that we'll see him again this year at some point. So, I'd say the O's have made good use of the Rule V draft.

I'd say when these guys showed up, they were appalled with our MiLB system and found yet another way to augment it and have a winning team on an ever increasing mid market budget.

I see Garcia as the mop up guy for the first 90 days of the season.

Then he will go to visit Ubaldo at his apartment and twist his ankle in a hole. He will be on the DL for July and August.

Around September 1st he will be activated.

He only has to be active for 90 days total, so he could step in that hole in early June and be activated September 1st.

Archived