Roch: Dylan Bundy - Dominating

weams

Only people who hate freedom stop pitchers from throwing from the bed of a jacked up bro truck going 120. On the field.

If that Chad would have just shut his piehole, they could have done that. While playing the Kate Smith version of GBA blaring from the oversized horn speakers mounted on either side of the lightbar.

• Replies 153
  • Created
  • Last Reply

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dylan Bundy touched 96 in his outing Wednesday at Erie, best velocity since surgery. Went 3 IP, retired all 9 with 5 strikeouts.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="

">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Gausman is great. He is also young.

You toss the word "great" around pretty easily. There are 14 starting pitchers who are Gausman's age (24) or younger who are in major league rotations this year and have enough innings to qualify. Four of them have ERA's under 2.00, and another three have ERA's under 3.00. Gausman may turn out to be great, and I counsel that we should be patient, but he's done nothing so far to prove it, unlike some of his peers.

You toss the word "great" around pretty easily. There are 14 starting pitchers who are Gausman's age (24) or younger who are in major league rotations this year and have enough innings to qualify. Four of them have ERA's under 2.00, and another three have ERA's under 3.00. Gausman may turn out to be great, and I counsel that we should be patient, but he's done nothing so far to prove it, unlike some of his peers.

Maybe. But I think both Gausman and Adam Jones are great. I never thought Nick was great. I never thought Jason Hamel was great. I stopped thinking Brian Roberts was great. Right around the time that I found out he was a steroid guy. I never thought Nate McLouth was great. I never thought Jeremy Guthrie was great. I did think Andrew Miller and Nelson Cruz were great.

Maybe. But I think both Gausman and Adam Jones are great. I never thought Nick was great. I never thought Jason Hamel was great. I stopped thinking Brian Roberts was great. Right around the time that I found out he was a steroid guy. I never thought Nate McLouth was great. I never thought Jeremy Guthrie was great. I did think Andrew Miller and Nelson Cruz were great.

I thought Nick was well on his way to great in 2008.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Dylan Bundy touched 96 in his outing Wednesday at Erie, best velocity since surgery. Went 3 IP, retired all 9 with 5 strikeouts.</p>— Steve Melewski (@masnSteve) <a href="
">May 1, 2015</a></blockquote> <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Was it in front of a live studio audience? Maybe he can caress 97 in his next outing.

Sorry to pick on you, weams. Here's what I want to know: when did you decide that Adam Jones was great? Did he have to reach a certain level before you thought so, or did you just decide he was great the year we traded for him (or before)?

I'd consider saying I think Manny Machado is great, even though he is nowhere near his full potential yet. But there's no way I'd say that about Gausman at this stage. He's got miles to go before I'd call him great. I'm pretty confident he'll eventually be a solid no. 3 starter, but I can't say for sure if he'll turn out to be better than that, and even if he did, I'm pretty stingy with the term "great." I wouldn't call Tillman great, for example.

Sorry to pick on you, weams. Here's what I want to know: when did you decide that Adam Jones was great? Did he have to reach a certain level before you thought so, or did you just decide he was great the year we traded for him (or before)?

I'd consider saying I think Manny Machado is great, even though he is nowhere near his full potential yet. But there's no way I'd say that about Gausman at this stage. He's got miles to go before I'd call him great. I'm pretty confident he'll eventually be a solid no. 3 starter, but I can't say for sure if he'll turn out to be better than that, and even if he did, I'm pretty stingy with the term "great." I wouldn't call Tillman great, for example.

I thought Adam was great, Tillman was great, and George Sherrill was great. And at various times, each have been. Greatness is transient. Except for HOFers which you and I were treated to semi annually as kids. It's harder to be a super duper star these days. And many that would have benn took the poison.

I hated that we traded Baylor, Grich, and Decinces. At least Grich is a Hall of Famer. If Jeter gets in.

Of the trades I heard discussed, the Seattle one was the one I wanted. Because I do not think that Cueto or Kershaw were really in play.

I thought Adam was great, Tillman was great, and George Sherrill was great. And at various times, each have been. Greatness is transient.

Well, based on that standard, I guess you can call Gausman great. I'm much pickier than that. But if greatness is transient, I am not sure I agree with saying Guthrie wasn't great for us, if you are going to say Sherrill was great. I guess I don't understand how you are drawing your lines.

In any event, all this is just semantics. I'm not yet confident that Gausman will be as consistently good as Chris Tillman was from 2012-14. He could turn out to be better than that, but I need to see some evidence beyond a 97 mph fastball and a very good changeup.

Jimmy Paredes is great and Jim Traber was great. Nick Markakis was definitely great under those guidelines.

Jeff Manto was great. And Adam is great. And when horrible Wei-Yin Chen was ready to have us depart the playoffs early, Kevin was. Great. So Delmon could be great. Seriously. That arm is great and you will all be so happy to cheer for Kevin Gausman for a lot of years.

Archived