The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Defensively Snider compared to Markakis is a major downgrade. Not even close. We will see where we end up at the end of the year. There is a lot of season left. Right now the lack of trying to make improvements to the team from outside the organization has landed us in last place.

From what I've seen Snider has had one really bad game in RF in Toronto and despite the GG's, Nick wasn't that great of a defender.

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
For a minute there he was batting third and doing well, and then he's been in the dog house for no apparent reason. Don't really get it.

Well. it does seem to be quiet production. He is being platooned also and Delmon Young is getting some (quite a bit actually) of his time.

I know Travis has reverse splits, but there's really no reason Delmon Young should be getting his starts against righties. Or if you prefer to play Delmon, there's no reason Steve Pearce should be starting tonight against a righty in LF over Snider.

Maybe Buck feels he's out of shape or something. The guy is pretty chunky. I dunno man. He can hit though, so it's pretty stupid to play a guy in Steve Pearce who hasn't hit for a month over Snider when you're desperate for a win.

It is interesting. Buck clearly likes Delmon and he's been hitting the ball hard despite the OPS/power not being that great and his defense has looked pretty good in RF.

Yeah, I'm not sure I get todays lineup either.

I agree that Delmon has been hitting and looking good in RF. Pearce though... I guess Buck is just hoping to get him clicking. But... I mean, Snider is already clicking. Bah.

Maybe we have too many COF/DH types. I don't know. I would just stick with a platoon structure and ride it out.

o

What has our DH production been this year compared to last year?
Paredes has been pretty good.
Through 18 games last year' date=' Cruz had a .894 OPS.

Through 18 games this year, Paredes has a 1.064 an OPS.

Not all those games were at DH.[/quote']

In 18 games since being activated from the DL, Jimmy Paredes is hitting .355 with 5 home runs, 6 doubles, 2 triples, 15 RBI's, and 16 runs scored.

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/597839611646226432

Paredes has at least one hit in 16 of his 18 games played this season, and 13 of his 27 hits have been for extra bases.

https://twitter.com/Orioles/status/5978398871910563843

Ultimately Dan tried to field the best team he could with the budget constraints he had while not sacraficing notable prospects and future payroll flexibility.

[stuff deleted]

This notion that every team that is "close" can easily improve itself each year is pure fiction.

I agree. Building a winner is very difficult and your options for improving are very much dependent upon your ability to produce as much flexibility as possible in your roster construction. I think the current front office has not done as much as I'd prefer in creating the flexibility necessary to open up opportunities for improvements. I think, in examining traditional approaches to player acquisition/additions for 2015 contributors, Duquette & Co. have been very strong. I think the grade goes down when we talk about longer term planning and creative solutions to payroll management.

Some of that can be placed at the foot of Duquette and some of it is the product of the restrictions that come with running things for this organization.

I agree. Building a winner is very difficult and your options for improving are very much dependent upon your ability to produce as much flexibility as possible in your roster construction. I think the current front office has not done as much as I'd prefer in creating the flexibility necessary to open up opportunities for improvements. I think, in examining traditional approaches to player acquisition/additions for 2015 contributors, Duquette & Co. have been very strong. I think the grade goes down when we talk about longer term planning and creative solutions to payroll management.

Some of that can be placed at the foot of Duquette and some of it is the product of the restrictions that come with running things for this organization.

I think it's also very difficult for an organization (not run by Billy Beane) to "break up" a team after a successful season. With three guys leaving for free agency, I imagine there was a lot of pressure from numerous sources, including fans, to keep what was left of the team together.

From what I've seen Snider has had one really bad game in RF in Toronto and despite the GG's, Nick wasn't that great of a defender.

When someone says that a Gold Glove winner "wasn't that great of a defender", they lose all credibility.

Archived