The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If he's a 1.5 win player during that time you actually might not be eating all that much of the contract. Not saying I supported signing Cruz, but the front offices are much better than fan bases, as a general matter, keeping in mind that a 2015 annual salary and a 2017 annual salary (and a 2019 annual salary) are almost certain to be very different animals.

You are right. For those who have big TV contracts. And while the bubble lasts.

You are right. For those who have big TV contracts. And while the bubble lasts.

Always risk with uncertainty, but I would be surprised if baseball revenue came crashing down. New regime was selected in large part to build out the internet/app/streaming game cash cow, yes? I think all signs point to teams having larger payrolls as we move forward.

I'll make my position clear. You are welcome to come here and acknowledge that you were wise and with your guidance the team would be much better. You are welcome to come here and tell us how the Orioles are poorly run and you are privy to this special knowledge. You are welcome to prognosticate about the awful future of this once proud franchise.

You are not welcome to come here and criticize the site, the moderation, or call any of your fellow posters by any names. Whether you like being asked to be civil or not. No one forces you to come here. It's a privilege too. Not a right.

He didn't call anyone names. If some poster's don't like your stance on something, they resort to other methods of conversation. Hence why I've done what you say and post less and less.

Always risk with uncertainty, but I would be surprised if baseball revenue came crashing down. New regime was selected in large part to build out the internet/app/streaming game cash cow, yes? I think all signs point to teams having larger payrolls as we move forward.

I still worry that once people are allowed to pay for the channels they actually want RSNs (and dozens, if not hundreds of other channels) will see a large decrease in revenues. My guess is that at least 3/4ths of cable/satellite subscribers wouldn't pay for MASN, YES, NESN, etc. if they weren't forced to. Hopefully streaming and other internet services will make up for some of that. But I can't see it making up for half the population no longer subsidizing the team with money they wouldn't otherwise spend on them.

I still worry that once people are allowed to pay for the channels they actually want RSNs (and dozens, if not hundreds of other channels) will see a large decrease in revenues. My guess is that at least 3/4ths of cable/satellite subscribers wouldn't pay for MASN, YES, NESN, etc. if they weren't forced to. Hopefully streaming and other internet services will make up for some of that. But I can't see it making up for half the population no longer subsidizing the team with money they wouldn't otherwise spend on them.

When is this going to happen though? We have been hearing for years about people being able to pick the channels they want. I am sure MLB has a plan in place to deal with it once it ever happens. All the people that I know who don't have cable/satellite aren't sports fans.

Plus sites like fanduel. Look at how much fantasy football has changed the nfl. Year long leagues in MLB are just too hard to keep up with.

Plus sites like fanduel. Look at how much fantasy football has changed the nfl. Year long leagues in MLB are just too hard to keep up with.

Are they promoting a bunch of one day contests now? I don't play fantasy just asking.

When is this going to happen though? We have been hearing for years about people being able to pick the channels they want. I am sure MLB has a plan in place to deal with it once it ever happens. All the people that I know who don't have cable/satellite aren't sports fans.

I don't know, but more and more people are dropping cable, and I'd guess that at some point you'll see more and more ala carte options to keep people from bailing. Maybe it doesn't happen all at once, through legislation, maybe it's more market based. The legislation route would probably be more jarring and disrupting. But that would rely on legislators getting their acts together, and also deciding that the people who want to pay for Downton Abby but not ESPN are more important than Comcast and ESPN's lobbyists.

I'd bet that MLB's plan for that is to hope it doesn't happen, and if it does it will be gradual instead of all at once, they'll fight it in the courts if it is legislative, and also hope MLBAM will eventually make up for much of it. But the music industry fought the internet, and the ability to buy the one song you wanted on your iPad at home instead of a $20 CD at the mall, and they lost.

I guess baseball could embrace gambling, or at least behind the scenes like many other sports. But the nature of the game makes that difficult. Much of the NFL's popularity has to do with how easy it is to gamble on it, and fantasy sports are kind of gambling lite.

He didn't call anyone names. If some poster's don't like your stance on something, they resort to other methods of conversation. Hence why I've done what you say and post less and less.

I am not talking about this instance. And it does not matter. You won't change my mind on that being an inappropriate epithet. I do not let them call you what they wish to either.

And I do let you know that I appreciate your honesty. And your respect towards other when you are here. That is all I ask. This place is not for everyone. For those who need to belittle other for their values, I'd suggest another home.

I do too. Unfortunately for this franchise until the rights issues are put to bed, there is no rainbow at the end of the storm clouds. Only pain. Magnificent pain.

My job is to make it safe for anyone to come here and express their view without being called any names. Their views of course are subject to defense by fact and often when that does not suffice, they leave unhappy. I've apologized many time when I've been wrong. This is not one of those times.

Actually if you force me to pick I pick Cruz.

At least I have a better understanding of what his decline is likely to look like.

This is the main point. Most of the people that agree with letting Cruz go, would also have been willing to risk resigning him. Both opinions are legitimate. The argument starts when a few people let the hyperbole loose and claim how stupid the FO is and how otherworldly Cruz would make this team. It's silly. Of course those same people live in some kind of fantasy world where they're the only ones that question anything that the Orioles FO does. It's much easier than living in reality where everything isn't black and white. Grey areas are confusing.

Archived