The This Team IS Done, We are Dumb and Nothing can Fix it MEGA THREAD

MagicBird

Cruz was the catalyst for last years success. I don't think there is any question about that now. His personality gelled the lockerroom and his performance inspired everyone else to have their own success. I thought not signing him was a ridiculous move and it looks like I was right. It just wasn't that hard for me to see that he was the engine making last years team go. Now they are back to typical uninspired play,

• Replies 1.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cruz was the catalyst for last years success. I don't think there is any question about that now. His personality gelled the lockerroom and his performance inspired everyone else to have their own success. I thought not signing him was a ridiculous move and it looks like I was right. It just wasn't that hard for me to see that he was the engine making last years team go. Now they are back to typical uninspired play,

...except that they were plenty inspired before Cruz got there. But Cruz did mean a lot to the 2014 club, yes.

I do think that the failure to resign Cruz and Markakis, however defensible from a cost-benefit analysis point of view, has led some players to question the organization's commitment to winning. My recollection is that Chris Davis said something along these lines over the offseason.

What's harder for me to say is whether player dissatisfaction over organizational decisions has anything to do with on-field performance. I guess it could give players an excuse when things are going badly.

I wonder how the OF's react to being pinch hit for constantly. It seems like everytime Snider and Pearce have an at bat late in a game Buck yanks them.

I don't know about chemistry but this roster doesn't fit real well together. It's great that Delmon went yard twice but he is a liability on defense. Can't get why Snider didn't start today considering Houston is starting a lefty tomorrow.

"This is the adversity stage," says Adam Jones. "How do you respond to this?"

I think there may be more to that than poor on-field execution. Things are different this year. Team has a different feel to it. Here are some things I've observed:

- Losing Nick Markakis apparently disappointing a number of people in the organization. Possibly the same with Cruz.

- The Dan Duquette to Toronto saga.

- Matt Wieters still not playing even though we were told he could be back by opening day.

- Manny Machado acting like a brat.

- The aforementioned comment by Jones.

- Contract year for many players on the team, with conventional wisdom saying they won't stay.

- Lapses in concentration by the defense.

- Buck looking frustrated quite often.

- Overall body language from the team.

By all means correct me if I'm wrong, or add something to the list. It's only a gut feeling, not based on fact but circumstantial evidence. I'm just a guy that believes in the power of momentum. You want to know the one thing that can be done to get immediate results, I believe it is improving clubhouse atmosphere.

IMO you are 100% right and I have written about this before. The swagger and confidence is gone. Their heart seems to have left. I think it started with the DD to Toronto saga, and really took hold when Miller Cruz and Markakis left without anyone replacing them. I think the remaining players kind of thought "we got so close this past year, and instead of adding a player or two to pus us over the top, we lost some really good players". Once that happened, the air kind if left the balloon.

I do think that the failure to resign Cruz and Markakis, however defensible from a cost-benefit analysis point of view, has led some players to question the organization's commitment to winning. My recollection is that Chris Davis said something along these lines over the offseason.

Agree and who can blame them? I would think the exact same thing if I was a player. Almost like "what's the point if they are just going to let our best players walk after getting so close?"

"Manny Machado acting like a brat"

Seriously? That was one time this season where he got ejected. He's never been constantly like that. Obviously. About 98% of birdland loves him. His attitude is not the problem with this team.

And when he does have an attitude. He's playing with passion. He puts the effort every time he plays the game. Never gives up.

What's harder for me to say is whether player dissatisfaction over organizational decisions has anything to do with on-field performance. I guess it could give players an excuse when things are going badly.

Yup.

I want to root for them, but the talent isn't there. The lack of true improvement during the offseason is glaring. I don't know what can turn things around.

MSK

Having a big bat in the lineup like Cruz gave the rest of the team confidence. Not having him - and not really replacing him - makes a difference. They know a guy like Paredes was playing over his head. I don't think letting Nick go really has much of an effect.

What about for the three months he hit .185?

If these guys are lying down and refusing to play hard because they've lost their Nellie and Nickie, than the problem isn't the loss of Nellie and Nickie, it's with them. I am sure that isn't the case. We could use another bat instead of Snider/Pearce/Lough, but it wouldn't be Cruz. He shouldn't be in the OF any more than Delmon.

Agree and who can blame them? I would think the exact same thing if I was a player. Almost like "what's the point if they are just going to let our best players walk after getting so close?"

Which one of them offered parts of their checks to help sign them? No one in baseball thought Kakes was worth the contract he got. The team made him an offer that was reasonable and he chose not to take it. We have a closer and have had great RP this year, so as much as Miller would have been great to have it seems like a ton for a redundant piece, especially given how volatile RP is. Cruz I would have done, no matter how bad the last couple of years of the contract might look.

Either way, I don't buy that the hangover from free agency is what is bothering the club and I don't think that Buck and AJ would put up with that garbage. We have a mix of guys that can hit but aren't and some that just aren't that good.

Hopefully Hardy and Wieters have good Junes and someone in the OF decides to play some baseball. Things could look a lot better in a month.

If these guys are lying down and refusing to play hard because they've lost their Nellie and Nickie, than the problem isn't the loss of Nellie and Nickie, it's with them. I am sure that isn't the case. We could use another bat instead of Snider/Pearce/Lough, but it wouldn't be Cruz. He shouldn't be in the OF any more than Delmon.

Spot on, Gordo.

Considering Cruz stunk most of the year last year and Markakis has zero power....I don't think it matters. Winning breeds chemistry. The O's were so so for a few months last year than turned it on. Will it happen this year? It could because the division is weak (like last year). Getting rid of Norris and finding a DL spot for Tillman will do wonders. And need to fix the logjam of mediocrity in the OF (Lough, Young, Pearce, Snider). If Duquette was any kind of GM, he'd fix the OF spot stat.

Archived