The bullpen so far in May: 1.02 ERA. 0.51 WHIP, 10.7 K/9, 7.0 K/BB

Frobby

• Replies 32
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

The bullpen really has been spectacular the last 7 weeks or so.

Overall: 14-6 record, 2.77 ERA, 26 saves, 4 blown saves.

Of the four blown saves, only two have resulted in losses. One was an April game in which Hunter relieved Chen in the 7th inning and blew the save, the other was a June 1 game against the Astros in which Brach relieved Jimenez in the 7th inning and blew the save.

The team is 30-0 when leading after 7 innings.

The bullpen had a rocky start this year but they seem to have righted the ship. Only Brad Brach has allowed a run this month. I haven't had time to look into it, but the back half of April wasn't bad either, it seems to me. We've not lost a game we were winning after 7 innings, and only one game we were leading after 6.
O'Day has been a huge part of the bullpen's accomplishments. Which is why we need to resign him for the coming seasons.

Teams with weak bullpens are not going anywhere - as evidenced by Detroit's early exit in the playoffs last year and the Jays losses this weekend.

The Os are built to be competitive in all key phases of the game - offense, defense, starting pitching and bullpen. We are going to beat a lot of teams that might have a major weakness in one of these areas.

Another thought based on Frobby's last, excellent post - maybe we don't miss Andrew Miller as much as many have posted.

Finally, Matusz looked pretty good yesterday.

Another thought based on Frobby's last, excellent post - maybe we don't miss Andrew Miller as much as many have posted.

We have weathered Miller's departure very well, thank you. As I said, 30-0 when leading after 7 innings. We've lost four games we were leading after 6 innings -- two on blown saves, two in games where the starting pitcher blew a lead. Maybe if we had Miller, we would have won one or more of those games, but you never know. Overall, the bullpen has been a strength of this team and I don't think $9 mm+/yr for Miller for four years would have been a good investment for this particular team.

We have weathered Miller's departure very well, thank you. As I said, 30-0 when leading after 7 innings. We've lost four games we were leading after 6 innings -- two on blown saves, two in games where the starting pitcher blew a lead. Maybe if we had Miller, we would have won one or more of those games, but you never know. Overall, the bullpen has been a strength of this team and I don't think $9 mm+/yr for Miller for four years would have been a good investment for this particular team.

Very good post and true.

But, if they can't keep O'Day, then this top notch bullpen takes a bit hit, since lights out guys are not easy replaceable.

The bullpen really has been spectacular the last 7 weeks or so.

Overall: 14-6 record, 2.77 ERA, 26 saves, 4 blown saves.

Of the four blown saves, only two have resulted in losses. One was an April game in which Hunter relieved Chen in the 7th inning and blew the save, the other was a June 1 game against the Astros in which Brach relieved Jimenez in the 7th inning and blew the save.

The team is 30-0 when leading after 7 innings.

Great stat. Britton and O'day have been their typical dominating selfs. Which isn't to be taken for granted. Roe has been huge. He's statistically been just as good as O'day.

Archived