Maryland vs. Butler, 3/17

So what's crazy is that I'm not as dissapointed as I thought I would be. I really wanted to see us play Florida and get to the sweet 16. But looking back on it now I'm really very happy with this team. We had a nice stretch where it felt like we were invincible, beat Duke twice, beat UNC, and most importantly got into the tournament (and won a game). Vasquez and Hayes bring nothing but hope for the next few years and I can't wait to watch them.

Thank you DJ, Mike, Ekene, and Bowers. You will be missed (unlike Gilcrest and a few guys who left last year).

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Vasquez and Hayes make a nice guard combo, but they don't really know what they have behind Gist and Osby for big men. Behind that you have Burney, Dupree, and Gregory who all have zero college expierence and really only three star prospects.

Agreed, remember Duke this year? Next year should be difficult for Md easier when Vasquez and Hayes are juniors. Not one of the four recruits adds a perimeter game. With an experienced team Md should beat Butler. Not one Md guard could stop them on the dribble, then they would collapse to help (which I hope GW warned them not to do) with two shotblockers back. Bad loss. I was excited at the end of the year but no matter how you cut it this is five years without a sweet 16 and that is not acceptable (especially coming off a national championship).

No offense to Hayes cause he usually runs the offense just fine, but I have to agree with you on this one. Hayes adds almrost nothing to the team scoring wise, and while Vasquez gets his fair share of points he's anything but a reliable source.

Keeping both of them on the court with Straw, Gist, and Ibekwe leave you with only 1 real reliable scorer in Gist. That hurts your chances of scoring.

I can see giving him a rest. But, Gary called a TO and STILL kept Jones on the bench when he was absolutely on fire. Not only was he scoring, but he was rebounding too. And, shockingly, that was the time when Butler pulled ahead again. Gary loses again to a team that makes him play half-court basketball. I know it's blasphemy around here, but I just think he's a totally overrated coach. Go ahead and blast me, but if he can't play transition ball he doesn't win. Maryland just looked confused in the half-court set for about 80% of the game.

I can see giving him a rest. But, Gary called a TO and STILL kept Jones on the bench when he was absolutely on fire. Not only was he scoring, but he was rebounding too. And, shockingly, that was the time when Butler pulled ahead again. Gary loses again to a team that makes him play half-court basketball. I know it's blasphemy around here, but I just think he's a totally overrated coach. Go ahead and blast me, but if he can't play transition ball he doesn't win. Maryland just looked confused in the half-court set for about 80% of the game.

But he almost certainly wasn't playing any defense, because he almost never does. I don't know the defensive responsibilities, but it's possible that Jones was hurting the team more on defense than his scoring was helping them.

But he almost certainly wasn't playing any defense, because he almost never does. I don't know the defensive responsibilities, but it's possible that Jones was hurting the team more on defense than his scoring was helping them.

But Hayes really shut them down on the defensive end, right? And, taking out the only scorer on the team is a brilliant move. I mean, it's easy to come back when you have no one who can score the ball on the court. IMO, Gary has wasted 4 years of a tremendous scoring guard by wishing he was Bruce Bowen on the defensive end. He's not great at defense. We know that. But, defense wasn't the Terps problem today (they only gave up 62). Offense clearly was.

Have to agree with FLK on this one. Butler made 23 FG's and more than half of them, 12 to be exact, came from outside the three. Is some of that Mike Jones fault? Probably. Is all of it his fault? Most likely not. You can't take the kid out of the game especially while he's knocking down shot after shot after shot. It was just stupid coaching.

Have to agree with FLK on this one. Butler made 23 FG's and more than half of them, 12 to be exact, came from outside the three. Is some of that Mike Jones fault? Probably. Is all of it his fault? Most likely not. You can't take the kid out of the game especially while he's knocking down shot after shot after shot. It was just stupid coaching.

It's was their lack of quickness on the perimeter. Usually it doesn't show but Butler was much quicker, what do you do deny the 3 and let them drive or shoot the 3 and deny the drive-they were too quick. On the other hand Md was not able to exploit their substantial height advantage. Md had an experienced team, individually Md wins every match up but Butler plays better as a team. Md wins if they have a difference maker; Durrant or Lawson but that's another story.....

Oops forgot my main point. Butler's offense was very efficient in producing points per possession. Hitting 50% your 3's is like shooting 75% on 2's.

Ibekwe's 4 turnovers/no assists won't be missed, Strawberry also had 5 turnovers 3/10 from the field. At the end of the day Md was much more talented, this loss goes to the coaching staff. Some of you may be happy with a trip to the NCAA's but I'm not. Md basketball should be a threat to be in the sweet 16 every year and they are not there. I wrote earlier that this was an embarassing loss-I did not mean that for the team, but for the program I believe it is. GW is going to have to close on some more talented kids for this program to be where it should be.

That's quite an exaggeration regarding Jones' defense, he's actually been decent this year, and I don't think he had a poor peformance on that side of the court today.

That's quite an exaggeration regarding Jones' defense, he's actually been decent this year, and I don't think he had a poor peformance on that side of the court today.

SO if it wasn't his defense, and it wasn't his offense, why was he sitting on the bench during a critical stretch?:rolleyes:

Archived