When should fans really start to worry?

Ohfan67

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Shouldn't this be merged to the mega overreaction thread??

I hope not. I want to know when folks think mediocre play really warrants serious concern. June 1? 50 or 60 games? After the all star break? Not interested in emotional reaction but was hoping for thoughtful responses.

I am, like everyone, concerned now, but I honestly don't expect things to get much better until the team gets better at second base. Hard to be good when starting catcher, starting second baseman, and TWO backup second basemen are on the DL. I think it will be late June before we get a chance to be really good. If the O's are within seven or eight games on June 28th and weiters and a healthy second baseman are playing well, then I think the team still has a decent chance. If not, then I think the second half will be rough and trades will happen at deadline.

I hope not. I want to know when folks think mediocre play really warrants serious concern. June 1? 50 or 60 games? After the all star break? Not interested in emotional reaction but was hoping for thoughtful responses.

I am, like everyone, concerned now, but I honestly don't expect things to get much better until the team gets better at second base. Hard to be good when starting catcher, starting second baseman, and TWO backup second basemen are on the DL. I think it will be late June before we get a chance to be really good. If the O's are within seven or eight games on June 28th and weiters and a healthy second baseman are playing well, then I think the team still has a decent chance. If not, then I think the second half will be rough and trades will happen at deadline.

19% of the season has been completed.

I think it's still a little too early to see how this season is going to turn up. I think at the 30-35% mark (50-55 games) we would have a better picture.

Ain't no sense worrying about things you ain't got control over, because if you ain't got no control over them there ain't no sense worrying. And there ain't no sense worrying about things you got control over, because if you got control over them there ain't no sense worrying. - Mickey Rivers

I first read that in a circa 1985 Rotisserie League Baseball Handbook. It's been one of the guiding philosophies of my life, and baseball fandom, ever since.

I'm like someone else and I worry all season long, even last year with the big lead. But honestly, I think June is a good assessment point. Many teams have played bad baseball to begin the season and went on to win in the playoffs later in the year. The concern is starting pitching, plain and simple. We get quality starts and the rest will iron itself out.

I know we are all unhappy right now, but This not a reactionary post. I'm looking for thoughtful posts. There was discussion a few weeks back about the O's record last year in late May and some posters pointed to that as reassurance for this year. I know there all kinds of crazy examples of teams rebounded late in the year, but I'm curios as to when people think the mediocre, as opposed to terrible, record starts to be really alarming? I think I've seen Frobby mention that the 60 games mark is a meaningful time to make judgements about a team (or was it 50)?

I pick today. If things do not get better quickly, there won't be a chance to salvage much.

Some people are homers and some people hate the Orioles. I think you're the latter. I've never seen you say anything positive.

And some people like the team and get frustrated. Some people are fans of other teams or baseball in general and have good discussions here. And some people come to poke the bear. Those people are not really welcome.

Travis Snider even with a nice catch tonight(it was a makable catch IMO) hasn't done anything for me all year.Neither has De Aza, Lough or Pearce. This team needs someone besides Jones to step up both at the plate and in the field.The defense is a horror.

100% agree. Snider looks uncomfortable in the field and his offense doesn't make up for it. Peredes has been a nice surprise but this team needs Pearce and Hardy to get going.

Some people are homers and some people hate the Orioles. I think you're the latter. I've never seen you say anything positive.

I agree. There's nothing that they can do about the injuries and I expect the defense to improve once Schoop and Wieters come back. I also expect Manny to regroup and start making routine plays instead of trying to make everything "look good."

They struggled until Mid June last year, and things settled down and they got going.

People have short memories.

Different team this year. Some of the problems were avoidable but some of them aren't. I expect the defense to get better but you need to be realistic.

He is just so negative.

Unfortunately I have also been right so far.

Ain't no sense worrying about things you ain't got control over, because if you ain't got no control over them there ain't no sense worrying. And there ain't no sense worrying about things you got control over, because if you got control over them there ain't no sense worrying. - Mickey Rivers

I first read that in a circa 1985 Rotisserie League Baseball Handbook. It's been one of the guiding philosophies of my life, and baseball fandom, ever since.

Mick-the-Quick.

I'm concerned because the sloppy inattentive play has gone on all season. Is it s clubhouse issue? Is there a leader in the clubhouse besides Adam? How much is Nick's steadiness missed?

JJ has been one of their leaders over the years, as well as AJ and Nick.

I image having JJ back will help.

But, you are right, sloppy and inattentive for sure.

But worry and fanatic-dom are so intertwined! :)

Archived