Orioles win; Yankees lose

wildcard

The four game difference in the loss column is what counts in my eyes. With each passing game, the number of games remaining to reduce that number gets smaller and smaller.

Yes, we’re only a week into July and much can happen over these next 72 games but as of right now, the Yankees would have to be five games better than the O’s to close out the year and given their last 25 days of baseball, I’m not sure that they can hang. Hell, I’m not sure that they’re going to be able to stave off Boston. 

Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Red Sox beat the NYYs, 3-0, on three solo HRs, two by Devers. Jansen K'd Judge for the final out.

Another series loss, and tough defeat, for the Pinstripes.

Orioles' lead is back to 3 games.

In terms of losses the Yankees are closer to the Red Sox than the Orioles after today’s games in the standings. 

Edited by OsFanSinceThe80s

2 minutes ago, spiritof66 said:

Red Sox beat the NYYs, 3-0, on three solo HRs, two by Devers. Jansen K'd Judge for the final out.

Another series loss, and tough defeat, for the Pinstripes.

Orioles' lead is back to 3 games.

Who do you pick for your second half fantasy team? Jansen or Kimbrel?

34 minutes ago, Chavez Ravine said:

Who do you pick for your second half fantasy team? Jansen or Kimbrel?

Ooh, that's a tough call.  I think I'd go with Kimbrel with the thought that he'll have slightly more opportunities, but they're similar situations.

44 minutes ago, banks703 said:

The four game difference in the loss column is what counts in my eyes. With each passing game, the number of games remaining to reduce that number gets smaller and smaller.

Yes, we’re only a week into July and much can happen over these next 72 games but as of right now, the Yankees would have to be five games better than the O’s to close out the year and given their last 25 days of baseball, I’m not sure that they can hang. Hell, I’m not sure that they’re going to be able to stave off Boston. 

Yes, Until the teams have played the same number of  games, I only look at the loss column  because games played and  lost  can never be made up, so even  if  a team wins the rest of its games if they are behind in the loss column,  they still do not win the pennant.  

10 minutes ago, Bahama O's Fan said:

I would not be surprised to see Boston finishing 2nd in the AL East this season with the Yanks 3rd

Kind of frustrating how well Boston has played this year given expectations. And they always seem to have a good farm. 

10 hours ago, 25 Nuggets said:

The Yankees are 5-15 in their last 20 games.

They've been outscored in those games 130 to 95.  Not too bad considering the .250 win%.

It’s not hard to diagnose the Yankees’ problem - they’ve allowed 6.5 runs per game in that 20-game stretch.  Some Yankee ERA’s in that span: Cole 6.75 in 4 starts, Stroman 6.43 in 4 starts, Rodon 10.89 in 4 starts, Gil 9.37 in 4 starts.   Cortes (2.70 in 4 starts) is the only member of their rotation who’s producing.   Meanwhile in the pen you have Clay (the All-Star) Holmes at 9.00 ERA, Caleb Ferguson 9.53, Phil Bickford 14.40, Ron Marinaccio 6.75, Victor Gonzalez  9.82.   

And people think the Orioles have pitching problems?

The offense basically has been fine at 4.75 runs/game in this stretch, down a bit but nothing dramatic.   Struggling guys include Gleyber Torres (.620 OPS), DJ LeMahieu (.521), Alex Verdugo (.495) and Anthony Volpe (.473).   

20 minutes ago, Frobby said:

It’s not hard to diagnose the Yankees’ problem - they’ve allowed 6.5 runs per game in that 20-game stretch.  Some Yankee ERA’s in that span: Cole 6.75 in 4 starts, Stroman 6.43 in 4 starts, Rodon 10.89 in 4 starts, Gil 9.37 in 4 starts.   Cortes (2.70 in 4 starts) is the only member of their rotation who’s producing.   Meanwhile in the pen you have Clay (the All-Star) Holmes at 9.00 ERA, Caleb Ferguson 9.53, Phil Bickford 14.40, Ron Marinaccio 6.75, Victor Gonzalez  9.82.   

And people think the Orioles have pitching problems?

The offense basically has been fine at 4.75 runs/game in this stretch, down a bit but nothing dramatic.   Struggling guys include Gleyber Torres (.620 OPS), DJ LeMahieu (.521), Alex Verdugo (.495) and Anthony Volpe (.473).   

You never know what's around the next corner. Their rotation was absolutely dominating until around when Cole returned. I'm sure plenty of Yankee fans would have laughed in your face if you told them their pitching staff was about to get annihilated for a month. 

Just now, Spy Fox said:

You never know what's around the next corner. Their rotation was absolutely dominating until around when Cole returned. I'm sure plenty of Yankee fans would have laughed in your face if you told them their pitching staff was about to get annihilated for a month. 

Yep, it’s a crazy game.   Sometimes Oakland scores 19 runs off you.  

13 minutes ago, Spy Fox said:

The White Sox won 93 games and made the playoffs just 3 years ago.  They were seen as an upcoming team loaded with young talent.  Baseball is a crazy game.