Proof of how much the offense misses Cruz and Markakis

mdbdotcom

o

I agree with what Roy Firestone stated in his interview on Tuesday, when he commented about what (and why) we miss Markakis.

More than anything, Roy believe that we miss Markakis' glove and his stability.

When we Adam and Nick, you knew that 2/3 of the outfield was covered ..... both on offense, and on defense.

Adam and Nick would have their slumps on offense, but overall, their offensive assets outweighed their offensive liabilities.

But more than anything, the defense and the over stability (and continuity) in the lineup is what we miss most about him (Markakis.)

You rarely saw miscommunicate in the outfield between Jones and Markakis, and Nick made an error about once very Ice Age out there.

Perhaps (as I suggested yesterday) Showalter will try to keep David Lough out there every game in leftfield because of his defense. Buck (like any good manager) hates bad fundamentals. If Lough can (at least) be a good defensive leftfielder, that could potentially go a long way in stabilizing the team.

• Replies 78
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nick was only a 2.0 WAR last year, so he was slightly better than a replacement player.

Now, he is a .2, granted, the season is young.

Yup. Only 4 doubles and no homers.

Have a question on WAR. Different sites have players at different WARs. I see Markakis anywhere from 1.1 to 0.2. Which do you think are the most accurate of the sites?

Have a question on WAR. Different sites have players at different WARs. I see Markakis anywhere from 1.1 to 0.2. Which do you think are the most accurate of the sites?

rWAR for position players imo, especially outfielders. I believe their defensive model (DRS) is much better. Pitchers are very debatable.

I have no clue, I will defer to Frobby or Drungo.

I believe i was on baseball reference.

Nick was only a 2.0 WAR last year, so he was slightly better than a replacement player.

Now, he is a .2, granted, the season is young.

2 WAR is very roughly an average player in full time play. For example, last year (by Fangraphs) Nick was about 2.5 runs better than average on offense, and about 2.5 worse than average on both defense and baserunning, and he was 2.5 fWAR in total, in 155 games and 710 PAs. Nick was about 25 runs better than replacement.

2 WAR is very roughly an average player in full time play. For example, last year (by Fangraphs) Nick was about 2.5 runs better than average on offense, and about 2.5 worse than average on both defense and baserunning, and he was 2.5 fWAR in total, in 155 games and 710 PAs. Nick was about 25 runs better than replacement.

Thanks for the clarification.

o

I agree with what Roy Firestone stated in his interview on Tuesday, when he commented about what (and why) we miss Markakis.

When we Adam and Nick, you knew that 2/3 of the outfield was covered ..... both on offense, and on defense.

Adam and Nick would have their slumps on offense, but overall, their offensive assets outweighed their offensive liabilities.

But more than anything, the defense and the over stability (and continuity) in the lineup is what we miss most about him (Markakis.)

You rarely saw miscommunicate in the outfield between Jones and Markakis, and Nick made an error about once very Ice Age out there.

Perhaps (as I suggested yesterday) Showalter will try to keep David Lough out there every game in leftfield because of his defense. Buck (like any good manager) hates bad fundamentals. If Lough can (at least) be a good defensive leftfielder, that could potentially go a long way in stabilizing the team.

I disagree. The numbers don't back that up and our outfield defense minus a game or two hasn't been the problem this year. As many people have said already, our starting pitching, particularly Tillman and Norris have been the problem. You can't win consistently when 2/5s af your starting rotation have been pretty awful.

Their track records suggest they'll get better, and for the all the Orioles problems this year they are just four games back and no team in tha AL East looks dominant. It's not fun being under .500 at this time of the year, but I think the Orioles are positioned pretty well to be in the mix at the end of the year.

o

o

I disagree. The numbers don't back that up and our outfield defense minus a game or two hasn't been the problem this year. As many people have said already, our starting pitching, particularly Tillman and Norris have been the problem. You can't win consistently when 2/5s af your starting rotation have been pretty awful.

Their track records suggest they'll get better, and for the all the Orioles problems this year they are just four games back and no team in tha AL East looks dominant. It's not fun being under .500 at this time of the year, but I think the Orioles are positioned pretty well to be in the mix at the end of the year.

Maybe you're right.

This team is more offensively sound. Yes, in spite of losing Cruz.

As pointed out by the OP with the stats.

Last year, we used to joke about production out of the 7th, 8th and 9th slots.

As Tony-OH and others have stated, the pitching is the weak link and should come around.

Tillman for some reason has not been as good with receivers other than Wieters or Hundley. Maybe that will be the major thing that Wieters return helps out.

If Tillman and Norris were performing like Tillman or Norris of any of the last three years the O's would likely be a game or two out of first. You can blame the non-signings of Miller and Cruz and the like, and yes they'd make this a better team in the short-term, but the reality is the biggest problem is something no one would have identified as anything but a strength two months ago.

Tillman for some reason has not been as good with receivers other than Wieters or Hundley. Maybe that will be the major thing that Wieters return helps out.

Or maybe it's just a case of him not pitching well coincidentally when other guys were behind the plate.

Archived