I don't understand how Capps' hop is legal

Frobby

If this is legal then go find guys with average pitching skills who also excel at the broad or triple jump. They could end up cutting the distance to the batter to Littke League distance! This has to be outlawed as Imo it is akin to traveling in basketball.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
If this is legal then go find guys with average pitching skills who also excel at the broad or triple jump. They could end up cutting the distance to the batter to Littke League distance! This has to be outlawed as Imo it is akin to traveling in basketball.

That might not have been the best example considering how often it gets called these days.

I am not the one allowing it. The league is. You have to ask why? I am saying it is because the rule as it stands does not preclude it. They have to change it. If they don't you might very well have hop skip and jump pitchers.

I wonder what Carl Lewis is up to these days. We might be able to squeeze some innings out of him.

That might not have been the best example considering how often it gets called these days.

Right. I also recall when you were only allowed a step and a half or it was traveling while now they allow a jump step and then the step and a half which is akin to an extra step! In effect that is what Capp is getting away with and it is total b.s. !!

I wonder what Carl Lewis is up to these days. We might be able to squeeze some innings out of him.

You have me lmao but if this is now allowed why not? Oddly enough I have not heard anything out of Dempsey or any of the talking heads about this which I find strange.

Exactly. He creates a new pivot point when he lands the hop.. But that only works because he keeps his arm back UNTIL he lands. If he did what the rule requires and kept his arm continously moving forward upon leaving the rubber, THEN...when he did that hop, it would just interrupt his arm speed and he would lose all the torque and he would throw like a girl.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Yep bingo it's leverage and IMHO that's and illegal pitch his arm does not continue forward.

Yep bingo it's leverage and IMHO that's and illegal pitch his arm does not continue forward.
There is nothing in the rule that says specifically that his arm must continue forward. He brings his arm back like all pitchers do then delays throwing forward. But a lot of pitchers sort of cock their arm and then throw. His body continues moving forward uninterrupted.

I see nothing in those rules that pertain to Capps' hop. This is the only one that might apply: rule 8.05 (g) The pitcher makes any motion naturally associated with his pitch while he is not

touching the pitcher?s plate

Why cant't he take a second hop?

There is nothing in the rule that says specifically that his arm must continue forward. He brings his arm back like all pitchers do then delays throwing forward. But a lot of pitchers sort of cock their arm and then throw. His body continues moving forward uninterrupted.

Well if MLB baseball says he's got to drag that back foot he ain't. IMHO He's clearly air born before landing and throwing the pitch.

If he does it every time, is generally consistent with the checkpoints, and is clearly driving towards home as part of a motion (as opposed to hopping for distance, resetting his balance and then completing), I don't have an issue with it. Honestly, Paco Rodriguez (LAN) was much more brazen in how he'd alter his motion from pitch to pitch, which I thought was a bigger issue in keeping with the spirit of the rule. This just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But call it consistently and hold him to a tight standard as to what "his motion" is.

If he does it every time, is generally consistent with the checkpoints, and is clearly driving towards home as part of a motion (as opposed to hopping for distance, resetting his balance and then completing), I don't have an issue with it. Honestly, Paco Rodriguez (LAN) was much more brazen in how he'd alter his motion from pitch to pitch, which I thought was a bigger issue in keeping with the spirit of the rule. This just doesn't seem like a big deal to me. But call it consistently and hold him to a tight standard as to what "his motion" is.

What if he took two hops as part of his motion to the plate?

How is this not one of baseball's unwritten rules? It's the NL. He has to bat. I was fully expecting a plunking. Especially after Matusz had gotten tossed out. But then again dude is 6'6". Where's Kevin Gregg when you need him?

He's a bullpen guy he isn't going to be at the plate very much.

Archived