I don't understand how Capps' hop is legal

Frobby

http://mlb.mlb.com/mlb/downloads/y2015/official_baseball_rules.pdf

(1) The Windup Position

The pitcher shall stand facing the batter, his pivot foot in con- tact with the pitcher?s plate and the other foot free. From this position any natural movement associated with his delivery of the ball to the batter commits him to the pitch without interrup- tion or alteration. He shall not raise either foot from the ground, except that in his actual delivery of the ball to the bat- ter, he may take one step backward, and one step forward with his free foot.

(2) The Set Position

Set Position shall be indicated by the pitcher when he stands facing the batter with his pivot foot in contact with, and his other foot in front of, the pitcher?s plate, holding the ball in both hands in front of his body and coming to a complete stop. From such Set Position he may deliver the ball to the batter, throw to a base or step backward off the pitcher?s plate with his pivot foot.

Seems pretty clear to me.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Every pitcher's foot is no longer in contact with the rubber by the time they release the ball. With Capps it's just exaggerated.

I agree with that but most pitchers are in the process of releasing the ball as their foot is leaving the rubber.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Every pitcher's foot is no longer in contact with the rubber by the time they release the ball. With Capps it's just exaggerated.

Yes, but every pitcher is already in the process of arm movement towards the plate or about to release the ball.

That sure looks illegal to me. I'm sure by rule book you could argue it's "gray area" or something but that should not be allowed. Yes, I'd feel the same if he was an Oriole. Actually, I'd be upset if he was an Oriole because I think at some point in the future he'll be asked to stop doing that.

The key part of the rule is where your pivot or planted foot must be when you begin forward motion of your arm CONTINUOUSLY to the plate. If Capps arm was already coming forward and THEN he hopped, it would be consistent with the rule, but all the momentum would be lost because he would not be able to pivot AGAIN when he lands on the hop. This is the KEY point. Capps throw is illegal because he hops WITHOUT his arm going forward and THEN pushes or pivots a second time when he lands and whips his arm forward off the second landing. He keeps his arm BACK until his hop lands. He could actually hop three or four or five more times as long as he kept his arm back like that and then use the last hop as his pivot point. I used to do the hop, step and jump in high school. It was a lot different than doing a standing broad jump. This delivery should be outlawed or it will spread like wildfire. If I was umpiring last night, I would have called illegal pitch every time he threw.

If that move is legal, all I can say is, it shouldn't be. Seems to me it shortens the distance to home plate by 1-2 feet and gives the pitcher an unfair advantage.

I seem to recall that Brandon Erbe did something similar in his early years in the minors, but eventually changed it.

I agree totally. If it is now legal to leave the rubber and touch the ground before releasing the pitch then what would stop anyone from teaching someone with long jumping skills to hop several feet forward before throwing the pitch? This delivery should not be allowed!

This is not the point. The pitcher's arm must be coming forward in an uninterrupted, continuous motion when his foot leaves the rubber. Capps is NOT. His arm is cocked and held back when he hops and then he pushes forward off the hop landing. If he was actually continuing to bring his arm forward in continuous motion, his arm would lose all its momentum with the hop interruption. He is able to hop ONLY because he keeps his arm cocked and NOT moving forward.

That sure looks illegal to me. I'm sure by rule book you could argue it's "gray area" or something but that should not be allowed. Yes, I'd feel the same if he was an Oriole. Actually, I'd be upset if he was an Oriole because I think at some point in the future he'll be asked to stop doing that.

What's funny is he didn't use to pitch like that.. he was taught it.

3 years ago:

https://youtu.be/enO0zjlnQsc

Last year:

This year:

I was not defending Capps. Just rebutting someone who seemed to think the back foot had to maintain contact with the rubber until the ball was released.

Sorry. The foot obviouly CAN leave the rubber as long as the arm is moving forward in the required CONTINUOUS, uninterrupted manner. This is what Capps is not doing. He doesn't actually start his arm forward until after he hops and that is illegal.

Nice job. Even more reason not to let him do it.

Let's put it this way.. when he was with the Mariners and last year with the Marlins he was average and VERY hittable reliever. In 2013 with the Mariners he had a 5.49 ERA in 53 appearances and was a career 3.90 ERA and up reliever..

Sorry. The foot obviouly CAN leave the rubber as long as the arm is moving forward in the required CONTINUOUS, uninterrupted manner. This is what Capps is not doing. He doesn't actually start his arm forward until after he hops and that is illegal.

To me that isn't the issue. The issue is his foot is not only leaving the rubber it is hitting the ground before he releases the pitch! He in effect is moving forward off the rubber and making contact with the ground (not the rubber) before releasing the ball! What if O'Day did that only hopped to the right before throwing the pitch? Can you imagine how difficult it would be for a right handed batter to hit him?

To me that isn't the issue. The issue is his foot is not only leaving the rubber it is hitting the ground before he releases the pitch! He in effect is moving forward off the rubber and making contact with the ground (not the rubber) before releasing the ball! What if O'Day did that only hopped to the right before throwing the pitch? Can you imagine how difficult it would be for a right handed batter to hit him?

Exactly. He creates a new pivot point when he lands the hop.. But that only works because he keeps his arm back UNTIL he lands. If he did what the rule requires and kept his arm continously moving forward upon leaving the rubber, THEN...when he did that hop, it would just interrupt his arm speed and he would lose all the torque and he would throw like a girl.

I don't know why there's such debate over every little minor point of Capps delivery, since one point remains obvious to anyone with normal eyesight, especially in the video posted above from a Braves-Marliins game: Capps jumps a foot or more in the air toward the plate before the ball is delivered. He's not dragging his foot as he is supposed to to keep his pitch legal. Last night, he wasn't dragging his foot to keep it legal on the majority of pitches. Frankly, given that Matusz was tossed for having a 'substance', Buck should've stopped the game the first pitch Capps didn't drag his foot and demand the pitch be declared illegal.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but the umpires CAN tell a pitcher to correct his delivery if he wants to throw legal pitches, can't they? I am mystified that we get a pitcher tossed for a 'substance' JUST LIKE THAT whereas the Marlins pitcher can hop a foot and a half in the air toward home and not be penalized in any way.

What the hell is this game coming to? They toss Ubaldo for hitting a guy without a warning, now they todd Matusz for a 'substance,' meanwhile we get to watch a guy mow down our batters in extra-innings pitching essentially from 59 feet away. Yeah, I'm pissed.

They toss Ubaldo for hitting a guy without a warning, now they todd Matusz for a 'substance,' meanwhile we get to watch a guy mow down our batters in extra-innings pitching essentially from 59 feet away. Yeah, I'm pissed.

I wish it was only 59 feet away. When they analyze it on the Braves broadcast, it is more like 52 feet away.

This is not the point. The pitcher's arm must be coming forward in an uninterrupted, continuous motion when his foot leaves the rubber. Capps is NOT. His arm is cocked and held back when he hops and then he pushes forward off the hop landing. If he was actually continuing to bring his arm forward in continuous motion, his arm would lose all its momentum with the hop interruption. He is able to hop ONLY because he keeps his arm cocked and NOT moving forward.

I absolutely agree with everything you have posted in regards to this.

One other point that hasn't been brought up ... he's using some pretty interesting slight of hand to pull this off. Watch his glove hand - he throws it out towards the batter just as he hops off the mound. It gives the impression that a delivery is already being made when the ball is, in fact, still tucked in behind his right thigh. It's pretty slick.

I just hope Mr. Capps enjoys his success now, because it will be taken away from him shortly.

Archived