I don't understand how Capps' hop is legal

Frobby

It's subtle but I believe he does drive a few more inches off the back foot before the front foot is planted. No big deal IMO.

You're correct -- I should have been more precise with my language. I think any added force is negligible. Looks to me like, at that point, it's almost all core torque and arm.

• Replies 155
  • Created
  • Last Reply
You're correct -- I should have been more precise with my language. I think any added force is negligible. Looks to me like, at that point, it's almost all core torque and arm.
To be clear about the hopping, were he indeed to hop on the back leg several times, each hop would be a clear interruption of his continuous forward motion and thus a violation of the rule. But what he does now is not IMO a clear interruption.

To be clear about the hopping, were he indeed to hop on the back leg several times, each hop would be a clear interruption of his continuous forward motion and thus a violation of the rule. But what he does now is not IMO a clear interruption.

IMO it is a clear interruption..one hop is no different than two or three or five....why else would he do it if not designed to throw off the timing of the hitter and gain an advantage? He now has had two scoreless outings.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

IMO it is a clear interruption..one hop is no different than two or three or five....why else would he do it if not designed to throw off the timing of the hitter and gain an advantage? He now has had two scoreless outings.

You're likewise incensed about the various Korean/Japanese pitchers that have hitches or pauses in their deliveries as well, I assume?

You're likewise incensed about the various Korean/Japanese pitchers that have hitches or pauses in their deliveries as well, I assume?

Hops are hops. Hitches, pauses, Luis Tiant, Darren O'Day, etc. are not. Strawman argument. 1. I am not incensed. I am generally amused. 2. Hitches are not hops.

I have really said all I can say about it. I think it is significant. You don't . I believe MLB will change their ruling. You don't. We shall see.

Hops are hops. Hitches, pauses, Luis Tiant, Darren O'Day, etc. are not. Strawman argument. 1. I am not incensed. I am generally amused. 2. Hitches are not hops.

I have really said all I can say about it. I think it is significant. You don't . I believe MLB will change their ruling. You don't. We shall see.

Not a straw man at all. Straight forward and on point question going to the heart of what you are arguing. How is a hop an "interruption" but a hitch/pause is not?

Not a straw man at all. Straight forward and on point question going to the heart of what you are arguing. How is a hop an "interruption" but a hitch/pause is not?

I think he is allowed to unfairly move his pivot foot forward while interrupting his arm motion and that enables his delivery point to be two feet or more closer to the hitter without compromising torque and, in fact, he gains velocity. No hitch or pause, Korean or Tiant-esque, will accomplish that. Only moving closer to homeplate and then resuming the delivery does that. The hitches and pausers feet are located in the vicinity if not directly on the rubber while they complete their arm motion. His are not.

• 1 year later...
On 5/23/2015 at 11:24 PM, Frobby said:

If that move is legal, all I can say is, it shouldn't be. It seems to me that it shortens the distance to home plate by 1-2 feet, and gives the pitcher an unfair advantage.

I seem to recall that Brandon Erbe did something similar in his early years in the Minors, but he eventually changed it.

o

UPDATE:

A rule change has been implemented that appears to be in direct response to Capps' hop-before-his-pitch delivery.

Capps himself said that he "Doesn't expect much to change."

Watch Carter Capps 

(By Dennis Lin)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padnotes-20170302-story.html

o

On 3/2/2017 at 4:59 PM, OFFNY said:

o

UPDATE:

A rule change has been implemented that appears to be in direct response to Capps' hop-before-his-pitch delivery.

Capps himself said that he "Doesn't expect much to change."

Watch Carter Capps 

(By Dennis Lin)

http://www.sandiegouniontribune.com/sports/padres/sd-sp-padnotes-20170302-story.html

o

o

Another view/report on the matter:

Carter Capps' Hop-Delivery may have Prompted MLB Rule Change for 2017

(By Dayn Perry)

http://www.cbssports.com/mlb/news/watch-carter-capps-hop-delivery-may-have-prompted-mlb-rule-change-for-2017/

Archived